Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-12-2015, 02:55 PM   #1

99' Vulcan Nomad Clutch Problem

I am having a big problem with my Nomad. Am the 4th owner and it has 160,000 kms on it. In 'tiddly shape' well looked after.
Last summer it stated jerking when shifted into 1st and I had the clutch replaced and the slave and master done as well as the fluid replaced. Not long after it began the jerking again when shifted into 1st. I quit riding it to work which is 8 miles as it was dangerous with this going on.
I haven't licensed it this spring as I have had a lot on my plate' and the other night I started it and let it warm up nicely then tried shifting into 1st and it didn't release, instead wanted to jerk forward and I keep my hand on the brake stalling it.
I really would like to find a solution to this problem as it is beautiful riding weather.
I could license my Concours or Kz 900 but I would like to put the Nomad on the road.
Any assistance you can give me would greatly be appreciated.
Thank you....
KK

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-12-2015, 03:09 PM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Does the clutch lever feel like it resists your hand a little ? or does it feel loose and sloppy seemingly doing nothing ? What kind of weather do you have ? Is it hot and sticky all summer and what is winter like?

Didn't you say somewhere there was rust on the clutch basket area ?

I am wondering if the clutch is rusted and stuck ?

After long term storage sometimes these wet clutches do stick, and if you start in neutral will still jerk the bike ahead.

Now I have a big problem understanding how there can be any rust in the crank case, as oil is everywhere all the time about. But maybe if say you live in Alabama and the bike is under a shed and sits for long enough the crankcase could make water inside, when you see condensation on the gas tank on the outside. That will also make water on the inside of the tank as well.

The only other ways for water are if the timing chain has cut the plug well insert, a blown head gasket, or a crack in the water jacket somewhere, and then is it is real rain or wash water it has to be a plug well insert, and if it's coolant the latter.

if there is no water or coolant and the oil was recently changed, and the clutch is just stuck you can roll the bike to a wall, or a sturdy tree and start in neutral to warm the bike up first holding in the clutch lever, and let the bike hit the wall or tree while you hold the clutch lever IN.

Never heard of doing this to a wet clutch, but I have done that many times on cars and light trucks living in NH USA where long term storage can cause the clutch to stick.

Once the clutch is broken free it should stay that way a long time and then there should not be any more jerking. if there is something else is wrong. and you need to be the eye and ears to articulate better so we can guess better.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 05-13-2015, 08:27 AM   #3

It sounds like your clutch plates could be sticking from having the bike sitting for an extended period of time, usually a good long ride will free things up.
If that doesn't help perhaps you have a bad U joint on the driveshaft, this will also make shifting very jerky.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951