Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-14-2015, 06:01 PM   #1

2011 Voyager Strange Electrical Problem

Hopefully all you Voyager Electrical Experts can help. To give a little background, my Voyager has 112,500 km's (67500 miles) on it and has acted strange twice on me recently. I was on my way home two days ago and the low fuel warning light started flashing as it had many times before. I parked it in the garage and the next day was on the way to the gas station when I noticed the low fuel light had stopped flashing and "ERROR" in red letters was flashing on the trip computer/panel. The red FI/low oil pressure light was also on. The bike was running fine and I tried selecting trip A and then trip B with the mode selector switch. I couldn't get ERROR to stop flashing so I pulled over and shut the engine off. When I turned the ignition back to the run position everything was back to normal. I carried on and fueled up and rode for another day with no problems. Then today I was out on a ride and stopped to fuel up (tank was about 1/2 full). After fueling up I took off and within about 1 mile the same thing happened. As I couldn't safely pull over I carried on down the road and found out the cruise control wouldn't set and I had ERROR flashing as well. I finally pulled over and did the reset thing again and everything worked fine including the cruise control. When I got home I checked all the cruise control cancel switches and they all function fine. I cleaned and lubed the RH rear brake switch and cruise cancel switches. Any ideas, opinions or information would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to take a chance with it leaving me stranded. Thanks in advance.
2015 Voyager ABS

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-14-2015, 10:05 PM   #2

If the FI light was on there should be a code stored in the system pointing you to the culprit.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:11 AM   #3
Advanced Member

You say the red FI/oil pressure light was on....
That red light comes on along with one of three other symbols above it, FI, oil pressure, or battery. If it is the FI symbol there should also be a number displayed below Error. If the oil pressure symbol was on then stop the engine. Likely just a bad pressure sensor but not worth the risk running it if it really is low oil pressure. If the battery symbol is on then check your connections, a dying battery usually causes the clock and trip meter to reset when you start the engine.
To retrieve a stored error code, press the S button for 2 seconds to display the clock setting mode, press the S again to see the stored code. Stored codes are lost when the ignition is turned off.

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Old 08-15-2015, 11:37 AM   #4

Hi Gary:
This whole situation caught me off guard and there were a few things going on and I can't remember seeing an error code. The first time it happened I know that the red FI light was on and ERROR was flashing. As soon as I shut the ignition off and back on again it seemed to reset itself. The second time I was travelling at highway speeds so didn't want to mess around much and I know that red light was on and ERROR flashing just the same as the first time but the second time I found that the cruise control would not set. The cruise "ON" light came on but cruise would not set. Once again I turned the ignition off and back on and it has reset and everything working normal including the cruise. If it happens again I will pay closer attention for error codes. Do you know if logged codes can be checked without having to go to the dealer? Thanks.
2015 Voyager ABS

Old 08-15-2015, 01:41 PM   #5
Sr. Contributor

A weak battery can cause computer problems as can a bad ground. Is the battery the original?
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-15-2015, 05:44 PM   #6

Ponch:
It is the original battery and the bike starts fine and the battery seems to hold a charge well. All the electrical functions are good with the exception of the two ERROR occurances. I have a Kuryakyn digital voltage meter and it indicates good battery voltage even though I have heated grips, my wife has a heated jacket and I run with my headlight on Hi beam and the driving lights on. I will keep an eye on that though.
2015 Voyager ABS

Old 08-15-2015, 05:52 PM   #7
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo279 View Post
Ponch:
It is the original battery and the bike starts fine and the battery seems to hold a charge well. All the electrical functions are good with the exception of the two ERROR occurances. I have a Kuryakyn digital voltage meter and it indicates good battery voltage even though I have heated grips, my wife has a heated jacket and I run with my headlight on Hi beam and the driving lights on. I will keep an eye on that though.
I know with BMWs that when the battery gets marginal, but still works, some wonky stuff can happen. Same with ground and the charging systems are 60 amps on my bike. All the computers draw more juice than we realize and if it dips at all, strange things happen. I'd go over the electrical connections first. If you can read the codes, even better. Have you put a voltmeter to the battery, especially when cranking?
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 08-15-2015, 10:07 PM   #8

I read something on another forum about the wires from the ignition switch & other instruments rubbing on the front of the tank causing bare wires. That might be a place to look.