Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 08-04-2015, 01:13 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshelly View Post
Wonder if any of the Kawi decision makers are reading this? If not, they should be.
I am, and not second guessing my decision.

I had too many warranty issues with both of my Ultra Classics. I had my 05 Nomad for 16 months without any issues and the new owner can still say the same. The cost savings and reliability of the Voyager was the right move for me. The fact that it handles so much better then either of my Ultra Classics or Nomad was a nice surprise also.

I'm not putting down Harley owners as I did enjoy both of mine while I could afford the experience but now I have a full touring bike that is paid in full with a no deductible 6 year warranty. That fits better now with my fixed income retirement budget.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-04-2015, 04:15 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Hog View Post
I am, and not second guessing my decision.

I had too many warranty issues with both of my Ultra Classics. I had my 05 Nomad for 16 months without any issues and the new owner can still say the same. The cost savings and reliability of the Voyager was the right move for me. The fact that it handles so much better then either of my Ultra Classics or Nomad was a nice surprise also.

I'm not putting down Harley owners as I did enjoy both of mine while I could afford the experience but now I have a full touring bike that is paid in full with a no deductible 6 year warranty. That fits better now with my fixed income retirement budget.

I was talking about Kawasaki decision makers at the company.

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Old 08-04-2015, 06:23 PM   #48

Sorry Dave, thought you meant riders

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 08-05-2015, 02:09 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
I'm surprised you get any lookers. Since you live in OC you should go to Cook's or Hell's and park it next to my XCT. The second most popular bikes at all the California bikers hang outs are Vics. Most Harley guys tell me they'd own a Vic. there must be a reason kawasaki is slowly backing out of the cruiser, touring market. They can't give their overstock away. Nothing wrong with a Kawasaki but there is a reason Harley and Victory's cost more than a Kawasaki.

I still read the posts here about the newer Kawasaki's having their own issues. Engine heat. Low power. Dash rattles. All bikes to some degree have issues. Kawasaki has no aftermarket support as well.
I'm at Cook's and Hell's all the time. Was just at Hell's for breakfast on Saturday and then Cook's for lunch (beers). Let's have a beer next time I agree, HD and Vic are #1 and #2 hands down as far as popularity in SoCal. And you're right, HD and Vic are more expensive for a reason.... because they have the "american made" mystique and Kawasaki's marketing blows!!! but that's all. I can't help that I liked the ride of the Vaquero better than the CCT. But I will say the CCT is better looking than a Road Glide or Street Glide and the Vic 106 is balls-out fast. I just hope Vic doesn't keeping increasing their prices because that was their original allure over Harley way back when, "American made without the huge price tag". Speaking of Road Glide/Street Glide, that's why I get attention at Cook's because I park my bike next to the 10 black street glides and the 10 black road glides, so I kind of stick out... Anyway, see you around Cook's or Hell's, I'll be the one with the "#3" or "#4" on my T-shirt, or maybe "#5" depending on how many Indians and Suzuki Blvd's are there that day

Old 08-07-2015, 08:25 AM   #50

I always wanted an Victory since they first came out back in the 90s. I could not justify the high price back then. I still love the look, the ones I have ridden made lots of engine noise but I have heard some pretty badass exhaust on them too. The stock Victories can smoke my Indian from 0-60 and in the quarter. But the roll on from 60 up is all Indian TS111. I would say test ride them all. I stopped in to the Indian dealer by me on my Nomad and that was all it took. My wife could not even resist the lure of the RM and she is frugal. The RM throws some serious heat but it seems after break in it cools down and after stage one I can say it runs cooler than my Nomad did. No regrets here. Also if you like attention this thing is ridiculous. People pull up to me at lights to comment and ask questions. HD guys stop me at lights to ask about it. People that have nothing to do with motorcycles comment and smile at it. it is hilarious. My wife likes to take pictures of how many people circle it when it is parked. A pic without the giant stock AC.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150801_133112.jpg (100.6 KB, 26 views)

04 Meanstreak sold
Nomad sold
15 Roadmaster

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-07-2015, 09:14 AM   #51
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
That's a beautiful bike Steve!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 08-09-2015, 01:37 AM   #52

I rode the Cross Country and the Vision. I'll take my Nomad over either one. Engine noise, prices and clunky trans were bothersome to me. I bought a used Voyager and kept the Nomad!

Old 08-09-2015, 09:48 AM   #53

Quote:
I guess as they say, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"
No I don't know who they are, so don't ask.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 08-09-2015, 06:26 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshelly View Post
Wonder if any of the Kawi decision makers are reading this? If not, they should be.
I don't think their English is very good over there Dave.
VBA # 745 COG #11621
wheatland,wy.
rallies-custer 09,kalispell 10,crescent city 11,kanab 12,estes park 13,orifino 14.,red lodge 16

2015 ninja 1000 abs
2014 concourse 14
2012 concourse 14-sold
2011 vaquero-sold
2008 nomad-sold
2005 classic-sold

Old 08-10-2015, 09:31 PM   #55

Quote:
Thanks! Right back at ya!!!

04 Meanstreak sold
Nomad sold
15 Roadmaster

Old 08-13-2015, 09:14 AM   #56

I just traded in my 06 jackpot on a 2011 vaquero with 800 miles on it... I loved the vic, but I had some issues with it. mostly electrical. I was looking to get on a bagger. I tried out the cross countrys and honestly I was going to buy one. there are really no good deals on used ones around here and after trying this vaquero out I figured I couldn't go wrong for the price. I may bo back to victory one day. My buddy and I swapped bikes the other day (cc tour 2013) and honestly I don't think I would trade even if he offered. I get complements everywhere on my kawi. I love the ride, the looks, everything... sure it doesn't have quite the power of the vics but I have no problem keeping up. if I needed the ponies I would have bought the concours.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:11 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by justrawbee View Post
I just traded in my 06 jackpot on a 2011 vaquero with 800 miles on it... I loved the vic, but I had some issues with it. mostly electrical. I was looking to get on a bagger. I tried out the cross countrys and honestly I was going to buy one. there are really no good deals on used ones around here and after trying this vaquero out I figured I couldn't go wrong for the price. I may bo back to victory one day. My buddy and I swapped bikes the other day (cc tour 2013) and honestly I don't think I would trade even if he offered. I get complements everywhere on my kawi. I love the ride, the looks, everything... sure it doesn't have quite the power of the vics but I have no problem keeping up. if I needed the ponies I would have bought the concours.
I too tried out a cc Vic and thought the weather protection was not as good as my "11" Vaquero though the power and handling was superior on the Vic IMHO.
I took a demo ride on a Vision and after deciding I could live with the style traded my Vaq. and now have 5200 miles on the Vision with only pipes and 02 sensors disconnected. I still like the looks of my Vaq but I feel that I moved up a couple of notches in comfort and performance. If I could have had the Vic motor in the Vaq (say it fast 10 times) I would have been a happy camper. The price for me was very good on a demo 2012 with only 640 miles 8k less than new.

Old 11-21-2015, 10:03 AM   #58

I rode the Magnum and Cross Country during the demo days and got to spend a few hrs in the saddle. Both bikes performed great through a combination of twisties, straight shots, flats, hills and freeway. I was going to trade the Vaquero in on the Cross Country until I noticed a problem with both bikes. After the test rides i was looking at the cylinders and heads and both bikes had a slight film of oil on them. Googled "Victory Oil Leak" and found more than enough info to keep the Vaquero for now. Looks like 1 in 20 engines had porous heads causing the weep. Beautiful bike and would love to own one, just dont think its the right time until they get the bugs worked out.