Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 11-27-2015, 11:10 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieago62 View Post
I removed and washed out with naphtha removing the forks is piece of cake the pain will be unkeying fork caps I have a press in shop which made it a breeze
D., what specifically is the pain issue in unkeying the caps? Without having a press how would have done it, or recommend how best to do it? Also, did you have to remove the fairing, or would it matter? Nothing better than hearing from someone who's actually done it. Must be nice to have the motivation, information and equipment. Thanks, cheers.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-27-2015, 07:04 PM   #17
Top Contributor

I presume by unkeying the caps he meant undoing the top nut on the fork tubes.
Not hard if you have the right size socket.

Old 11-30-2015, 02:10 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MET-RICK View Post
D., what specifically is the pain issue in unkeying the caps? Without having a press how would have done it, or recommend how best to do it? Also, did you have to remove the fairing, or would it matter? Nothing better than hearing from someone who's actually done it. Must be nice to have the motivation, information and equipment. Thanks, cheers.
I find it easier to remove the caps with forks still firmly attached to bike. I use a 2 arm puller to compress the caps enough to remove the clip. Before you do this though, loosen the top bolt on each side of the tree. Then you can remove the chrome plastic caps on top of each fork tube. Then use the puller to compress spring and remove clip. Spring will be under tension, so be careful not to let it fly out. Unscrew puller until all tension is off then remove forks.

Old 11-30-2015, 02:14 PM   #19
Advanced Member

I did it as Rick did above. Just a simple 2 arm puller while still on the bike. No you do not have to remove the fairing. the job takes some time but there is nothing difficult about it.

Drop the wheel, brakes and fender. Drop the handlebars. Loosen the top clamps, remove the plastic cap and then use the puller to undo the cap on the fork. Loosen the lower clamps on the forks and slide them out.

Old 11-30-2015, 06:55 PM   #20

Thanks redjay, rick6375 and tonik (and anyone else that may chime in) for your replies/help...actually sounds fairly straight forward with the right tools and info. I'm planning on doing this during winter lay up. Weatherman is calling for 8*c. and sunny for Sat., hoping to get out a couple more times before they sand and salt the roads. Cheers

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-05-2015, 04:13 PM   #21

Sorry guys I didn't reply Met a new woman few weeks back so you know where VBF rates at the moment lol
Anyhow it piece of cake just remove wheel calipers and fender undo pinch bolts 6mm Allen I believe and slide out.
By unkey I mean the top caps are compressing fork spring into tube with cap and small wire c clip retains it as said above In old days a cap screwed into tube compressing spring.

Last edited by Dieago62; 12-05-2015 at 04:18 PM.