Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 03-17-2018, 10:24 AM   #1

Rear suspension

So what is everyone’s opinion on rear suspension for the vaquero and the voyager. Does anyone have air bags in the back or does everyone stick with the standard air ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-17-2018, 11:31 AM   #2

I have stuck with using the stock air ride. I ride mostly one up and weigh about 250 lbs. Set pressure at 13 psi normal riding and 20 psi loaded for a trip. No problems

Old 03-17-2018, 03:24 PM   #3

https://www.progressivesuspension.co...-series-shocks

Check out this site. The 430 shocks are for the Vulcan's but they have different ride heights in them 12" and 13" and strength standard and heavy duty.

When my shocks go on my Nomad will be getting these as they seem awesome. Just not sure which one I should get is all. I do pull a trailer so heavy duty probably be the one.

Best I can come up with.

Dave

Old 03-17-2018, 05:21 PM   #4

Buckey1313, I thought you sold your trailer after the Incident? What are you getting now?

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 03-17-2018, 05:46 PM   #5

A guy can change his mind and no I did not sell it and I am going to keep using it as it is such a great tent trailer and I would not go as far as I do with out it and would not travel as much I decided. So it is staying with me. It had no damage to the trailer at all not a mark on it. All that happened was two clearance lights came off they are attached with two sided tape. Easy to replace. How lucky I was.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-17-2018, 09:09 PM   #6

my mistake Dave, It was the front cargo box on the trailer that had the cracks. I went back to review the original vid you posted. I am glad you are keeping it. Getting one myself this year. Any tips for loading besides not to much weight back and 20lbs on the tong? Already know the hitch your getting, Looks like I am getting the same one.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 03-17-2018, 11:33 PM   #7

No tips for loading inside I use small plastic containers on the bed to store stuff.

The only two problem I have had with trailer you should fix right away are the fold down bed hinge they just use wood screws to hold the leg and hinge in place. I bought some flat stock aluminum and drilled holes to match hinge and then use small bolts on other sie of hinge to make it strong as the wood screws were falling out. The mud flaps are held on by rivets. You will loose a flap as not enough surface for the mud flaps to hold onto. I drilled out the rivets and used the same aluminum and put a piece on the front of the flaps and then use bolts to hold it in place. You will see what I mean once you get the trailer.

This is second time in my life I have had an accident with a trailer and I would never go without a swivel hitch in both cases they probably saved my life and my bikes. The first was a railroad tie that blended into pavement at dusk I was able to get around tie on bike but trailer hit it and the trailer believe me flew 5 feet in the air. It landed I was able to control bike and was ok. Wheel on trailer was square.

You know what happened in this accident if you heard me talking about it. Again the swivel hitch probably kept the trailer away from me when I left the bike. It also save more damage to the bike as if I would have had standard hitch I think it would have bent more up on the bike. The hitch did bend that I had on bike but nothing else is bent.

I sure you have heard me speak of the trailer Isolator for the wiring. Get it and install it will save the wiring on the bike. The wire for lights you will find are so small they cannot carry more power at some point you will have a fire under your arse. The Isolator makes it so that the power comes from the battery and only draws the signal from your signal and brake and tail lights. It is a must also.

Last if you like buy two sets of plugs for your bike. 6 wire plugs you will need as I have done. I plug in my bike with a longer cable to the plug on the bike and I run USB charging station inside the tent trailer to charge phone or watch DVD on a player it is real slick. Just have to drill one tiny hole on bottom of bed to run the wire into trailer. I love it could not live with out it on rainy days.

Otherwise it is a perfect companion for a bike of ours. I actually have to look in rear view mirrors to make sure it is still there that is not a lie it is a fact. Just watch your braking it is pushing you when you slow down and stay away from that dang front brake it makes it really hard to apply the front. Check your brakes often as it does wear down pads faster and use your engine more for braking than your brakes.

Your going to love it you really will. It is the best of the best in tent trailers I think and I said I think.

Old 03-17-2018, 11:34 PM   #8

"APA4LIFE"... I'm guessing you're a fan of American Pale Ale? Me too!

After much messing about, I gave up on my OEM shocks and installed a set of Öhlins model HD-146 shocks down back, and a pair of Race Tech springs and emulators up front.

Your questions cover topics previously covered many times, so searching the forum should yield plenty of information.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 03-18-2018, 02:23 AM   #9

I’ve tried searching but I think the way I try and search is not giving me what I am looking for or I am dumb. Lol. Thank you for the info though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk