Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 03-19-2018, 04:41 PM   #1

Leak from Water Pump Drain Bolt

Over the past winter I took the time to work by the "book" to flush and refill the coolant. Aside from removing (and replacing, and removing... and replacing) the Gas tank, the procedure calls for loosening the rear - lower Water Pump Drain Bolt.

Coolant replaced and everything reassembled, I ran the bike until the radiator fan kicked on, swept the garage and put the bike back away.

Now, a few weeks later and anxious for spring, I am a bit dismayed to discover a small (trickle) leak from that rear-lower water pump bolt. Wanted to check-in here to get some of the collective wisdom --- what is my best fix, and through what procedure?

-----

Sounds like the OEM procedure would involve draining the coolant again, removing the drain bolt completely, and replacing the aluminum crush washer. (Anyone know what size/spec that aluminum washer is? Like to have parts on hand before I start!)

Other options seem to include backing the bolt out just a bit, and applying some 'non-hardening permatex gasket sealer' (no coolant flush - or gas tank removal - required)?

Should I drain coolant, replace the washer, and also apply the sealer? Any other shortcuts to try?

Thank you in advance!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-19-2018, 04:56 PM   #2

what I do is when replacing the gasket on the water pump, I also replace the main interior seal, also.
And while I torque the bolt down, with new washers, I also use silicone sealer on the bolt cover threads to keep coolant from wicking up the threads.....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI