Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rallies & Rides > Archived > National Rally 2011 - Maggie Valley, NC

Old 06-28-2010, 07:44 PM   #136

Discuss the KawaNOW National Rally for 2011...

Hurray for Maggie Valley then.
2003 BMW K1200LT "Magic Carpet" DOA 11/7/2015
VBA #00291
IBA # 41995
DS #320
'08 Elkins, WV; '09 Helen, GA; '09 Custer, SD; '10 Stanton, VA; '11 Maggie Valley; '12 Townsend, TN; '13 Estes Park; '13 Blairsville, GA; '15 Eureka Springs; '16 Helen; '18 Custer, SD

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-30-2010, 03:47 PM   #137
Top Contributor

OK, let me jump in since its getting close to time to really start some serious planning and reserving of space.

A lot of discussion on here has been centered around the Rally being in Deal's Gap. There are not enough facilities there to house a large crowd....Deal's Gap has the small motorcycle resort with only a few rooms, a general store, and a souvenier shop.

Deal's Gap, IN MY OPINION, is no where close to the nicest ride in Western NC nor is it the most enjoyable.....It IS one of the most challenging to ride through though, and a damn nice motorcycle road to slay. After riding with a lot of members at the Custer Rally, I became even more aware of the varying ability to ride and to ride difficult twisties.......some will need to definitely take their time and may need to "putter" through Hwy 129 up the mountain should they chose to try it.......If you are a king of the twisties rider, up and down Deal's a couple of time's should take not much more than an hour or so even with a stop or two. So all that being said.....we will certainly schedule a ride time at the "dragon's tail", and we will base close around it........ but be prepared for a lot of other scenic and challenging roads. Most of the roads out that way are great to ride on....almost all of them.

Actual location to base out of. Amy and I have talked some (and jump in here Amy). We want to be in a spot that has access to good medical facilities, shopping for supplies, restaurants, hotels, motels, and camp grounds. Murphy, Cherokee, Waynesville, Maggie Valley are possible places to base out of that we are looking into........all of these are close to Deal's, one of my favorite rides...HWY 64(the waterfall highway ride), HWY 28, Hwy 441 across the Smokies into Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge, Nantahala River, Blue Ridge Parkway..............and a hundred other small roads through the mountains....

Just wanted to throw that out there for those of you that might not be familiar with Deal's Gap......we will find a great place to base out of that is near some of the greatest riding in the country.

Lots of great suggestions have already been made on this thread and we will be checking them out.

Now, as soon as that check from Trip make's it here....we are going to start our scout trips :) :) :)

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Old 06-30-2010, 04:05 PM   #138

Todd, if your waiting for a check, guess your not going scouting. BTW how far is the Biltmore Mansion from the area you are talking about. Great place to see and spend a day for those that will be vacationing in the area before or after the rally.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:22 PM   #139
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by "CHAINSAW"
Todd, if your waiting for a check, guess your not going scouting. BTW how far is the Biltmore Mansion from the area you are talking about. Great place to see and spend a day for those that will be vacationing in the area before or after the rally.
LOL..you are right about the check......

Biltmore is 30-50 miles away in Asheville ....depends on where we end up as a base.

Funny you should mention Biltmore......Have lived in NC all my life and had my first visit to the Biltmore just yesterday.

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
Greensboro, NC

Old 06-30-2010, 04:50 PM   #140
VBA Founder

I think you're right Todd.... although I've been mentioning that we would have the 2011 National at Deal's Gap, I realize that Deal's Gap itself can't support the group that we'll be having. And, as you stated, other factors have to come into play.....

Hotels
Restaurants
Shopping (for the ladies that won't be riding, which could very well be my wife)
Hospitals
Space in general

I basically meant to have the rally in that general area. Along with Deal's Gap, we can plan riding routes on the Cherohola and Blue Ridge Parkway. I have all the confidence in the world that you and Amy will find a suitable place for us to base the rally out of.

Oh and BTW, I'd like to submit that we add an item to the rally itinerary: Swap meet.

I think it would be great to have a Nomad Swap Meet at the Rally. Everybody has items around the garage for a Nomad that they would like to swap for or sell. If they can't bring it with them, then they can ship it there and ship it back. I've got a lot of little things that I can bring free for the taking if anyone needs them...some items include RAM mounts, etc.

What do ya think?
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-30-2010, 06:25 PM   #141

I think you should have sad some thing about the ram mounts at Eureka Springs before I went out to cycle gadgets.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:21 PM   #142
Top Contributor

I like that swap meet idea :)

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
Greensboro, NC

Old 06-30-2010, 08:17 PM   #143

Swap meet sounds good.

Amy "kawgirl" Neal
Greenville, NC
2002 Nomad

Old 07-07-2010, 08:12 PM   #144

Swap meet?! Is that like throwing everyone's room keys in a basket and then picking one out? He He.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:46 PM   #145

Send a message via AIM to dabull

Folks...

For your consideration:

I will be heading to Stecoah NC for the Vulcan Riders Association rally next week and we are staying at the www.kickstandlodge.com . Several of the NC bubbas have already been there and like it. There are small cabins, smaller cabins, and lots of tent space. The www.twowheelsinn.com is down the road a couple of miles and I believe there is another cycle camp somewhere nearby,

We (VRA Group) will have 100-120 people onsite/in the local area.....Mo also provides breakfast and dinner foods for donations....

more to follow.....

Old 07-07-2010, 09:35 PM   #146
Top Contributor

I've seen kickstand and twowheel in person and they are pretty good. I want to check out fontana village too since they have the lodge/restaurant/cabins/camping all in one spot.....and also a couple placeas a little closer to at least a small town. Let us know how you like em DaBull......pics are always nice too, especially if there are say any wet tshirt contests or shortshort contest..you know .. important stuff like that!!!!

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
Greensboro, NC

Old 07-07-2010, 09:40 PM   #147

Send a message via AIM to dabull

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd (Nomadis Custodis)
I've seen kickstand and twowheel in person and they are pretty good. I want to check out fontana village too since they have the lodge/restaurant/cabins/camping all in one spot.....and also a couple placeas a little closer to at least a small town. Let us know how you like em DaBull......pics are always nice too, especially if there are say any wet tshirt contests or shortshort contest..you know .. important stuff like that!!!!

diggit

Old 07-08-2010, 01:34 PM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by classic1
Swap meet?! Is that like throwing everyone's room keys in a basket and then picking one out? He He.
Doesn't sound like much fun with so many of us that ride solo!

Old 07-08-2010, 03:09 PM   #149
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombstone
Quote:
Originally Posted by classic1
Doesn't sound like much fun with so many of us that ride solo!
Ew, I don't want any part of that!
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 07-08-2010, 03:44 PM   #150
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

Most guys would say, "don't make me puke!"

Scott says, "EW"

'nuff said? :-*

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005