Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 07-30-2013, 10:48 AM   #16
Sr. Contributor

Greg if your head can track each part and not get lost you are the guy that can do it.

There will be a lot of Pizza Boxes in your life! i use these to draw the shape of the parts held on by bolts since the bolts can vary as little at 8mm in length for just the left side as seated engine cover.

There are 10 zillion gizmos as springs cams and levers to put back right once the first time. Part of the problem is just having space enough to organize the parts and documenting these in reverse order.

This isn't hard, but if you suffer from CRS it will be a test.

CRS means can't remember shit)

I myself have never done this on a Nomad, but have on older sx 850 sh Yamaha that has a punk blow a 2nd gear shift and that broke the head off a thrust bolt and left that head with a thrust washer the size of a silver dollar laying in the clutch side oil gallery. The bolt was holding the counter shaft and was free to spin, so it was a trick to lock that shaft which was flush to the inner case and torque a big bolt.

Lots of gizmos there too.

When parts are so small i try to work over a dead white bed sheet so things don't get to bounce if i drop them.

MT is your best bet on advice and info.

The main difference between the 1500 and the 1600 is the connection rods are longer on the 16 and so it won't spin up as fast and I feel is a slightly slower bike. I has a 01 which was stolen in 06, and replaced it with a used 06 in June 06.

There is no fix for stolen.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-30-2013, 11:28 AM   #17
Mega-Contributor

CRS = Cranial Rectal Syndrome (head up your ass), at least that was the Marine acronym for it.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 07-30-2013, 03:41 PM   #18
Sr. Contributor

I am not that hard core.........

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 07-30-2013, 11:09 PM   #19

Send a message via Skype™ to ppgflyer
Hmmmm, Pizza boxes. There's a Pappa John's down the hill but I'm afraid I could end up a good 30lbs heavier by the end of this project to get all the boxes I'll need

Old 07-31-2013, 09:59 AM   #20
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppgflyer View Post
Hmmmm, Pizza boxes. There's a Pappa John's down the hill but I'm afraid I could end up a good 30lbs heavier by the end of this project to get all the boxes I'll need
I agree that plus the BEER Boxes can be a problem, the problem being you can't bend over by the end of the project

Make sure you draw a likeness of the part and insert bolts in the same places or you will have too long of a bolts in some holes and too short of a bolt on others.

The real problem there is too short of a bolt.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Login or Register to Remove Ads