Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 09-19-2012, 07:26 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
I'm calm.
You on the other hand seem a little stressed.
I just don't like loud pipes and straight pipes are just a total disregard for the people who have to hear them.
It just strikes me as odd that anyone would have a conversation about whether they could run straights or not if they were not toying with the idea of actually running them.
Yes I would like to see someone farkle the hell out of their bike if it would not leave them with enough money to put loud pipes on.
You got pics
no stress here, but all caps gererally amounts to yelling on most boards so...
It was idle discussion, I have no intention of running straights(I'm actually very interested in the tri-ovals) but the friend I was talking to has a meanie with only a small baffle in a two into one system and a few people we had been riding with earlier in the week had straights, thats how it came up. actually a coworker had a 1700 v-star with straight pipes and we could hear her all the way to the highway, I don't need to be that loud.
Sadly I can't find the pic I took of the only farkle I've been able to add the my bike. It's only a cup holder anyway :(

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-19-2012, 12:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by finger View Post
no stress here, but all caps gererally amounts to yelling on most boards so...
It was idle discussion, I have no intention of running straights(I'm actually very interested in the tri-ovals) but the friend I was talking to has a meanie with only a small baffle in a two into one system and a few people we had been riding with earlier in the week had straights, thats how it came up. actually a coworker had a 1700 v-star with straight pipes and we could hear her all the way to the highway, I don't need to be that loud.
Sadly I can't find the pic I took of the only farkle I've been able to add the my bike. It's only a cup holder anyway :(
Actually I have been lookin for a couple cup holders for Cindy's and my bike. We figure we will need them for the National next year. They don't give them away for sure. $50 seems quite high to me.
Anyway, sorry for the rant, it is just loud pipes are one of the things that I am opinionated about. Gun control, car tires on bikes, people not wearing helmets...................

Edit; just noticed you thought I used all caps on my original post.
They were in bold letters not caps. Caps would be yelling, bold is just to call someones attention to the post.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Last edited by Top Cat; 09-19-2012 at 01:16 PM.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:06 PM   #18
Mega-Contributor

TC is the mean old bastard who tells the neighborhood kids to "get off my lawn"!
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 09-19-2012, 12:48 PM   #19
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
We all had a "Tim" in our neighborhood!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 09-19-2012, 01:01 PM   #20

I do not always have an opinion, but when I do...

I BOLD THE HELL OUT OF IT!!!

Sorry, TC, had to do it!

Now, will anyone actually answer the question? Is it possible to run straight pipes with no TFI if the stock breather remains the same?
(disclaimer: my re-asking of the question does not imply that the OP is going to run straight pipes, nor that the reposter of the OP is going to run straight pipes, nor does it indicate whether or not any or all participants in said thread of the containing forum would ever advocate or support the running of straight pipes, or the running of bulls, for that matter. No animals were harmed in the reposting of the OP's original question, nor was there any intent to harm any animals before said reposting, although it should be noted that most squirrels would most definitely be afraid of a motorcycle running straight pipes unless said squirrel is rabid, in which case I would recommend riding away at a speed at least slightly faster than the average running speed of rabid squirrels. This disclaimer is considered null and void in any jurisdiction where there is not enough landmass to support the riding of motorcycles, and possibly Flippin, AR.)

BACA Pretzel - Flyin' the highways in OK!
'08 Vulcan 1600 Nomad - "Grace"
Candy Fire Red/Metallic Diablo Black
B.A.C.A. Member, Oklahoma Chapter
VBA #02190

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-19-2012, 01:20 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzel;462028
Now, will anyone actually answer the question? Is it possible to run straight pipes with no TFI if the stock breather remains the same?
[SIZE=1
(disclaimer: my re-asking of the question does not imply that the OP is going to run straight pipes, nor that the reposter of the OP is going to run straight pipes, nor does it indicate whether or not any or all participants in said thread of the containing forum would ever advocate or support the running of straight pipes, or the running of bulls, for that matter. No animals were harmed in the reposting of the OP's original question, nor was there any intent to harm any animals before said reposting, although it should be noted that most squirrels would most definitely be afraid of a motorcycle running straight pipes unless said squirrel is rabid, in which case I would recommend riding away at a speed at least slightly faster than the average running speed of rabid squirrels. This disclaimer is considered null and void in any jurisdiction where there is not enough landmass to support the riding of motorcycles, and possibly Flippin, AR.)[/SIZE]
Sounds like you may be a lawyer.
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 09-19-2012, 01:49 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post
I do not always have an opinion, but when I do...

I BOLD THE HELL OUT OF IT!!!

Sorry, TC, had to do it!

(disclaimer: my re-asking of the question does not imply that the OP is going to run straight pipes, nor that the reposter of the OP is going to run straight pipes, nor does it indicate whether or not any or all participants in said thread of the containing forum would ever advocate or support the running of straight pipes, or the running of bulls, for that matter. No animals were harmed in the reposting of the OP's original question, nor was there any intent to harm any animals before said reposting, although it should be noted that most squirrels would most definitely be afraid of a motorcycle running straight pipes unless said squirrel is rabid, in which case I would recommend riding away at a speed at least slightly faster than the average running speed of rabid squirrels. This disclaimer is considered null and void in any jurisdiction where there is not enough landmass to support the riding of motorcycles, and possibly Flippin, AR.)
That, my friend, is hilarious!!

Now to answer the question... not that I'm an expert on this, but you can change the exhaust all you want in regard to letting air escape the engine. You are only going to move the amount of air that you let in. With the stock intake, as restricted as it is, you are only allowing a small amount of air into the engine. What comes after the engine doesn't really matter as far as air leaving said engine. As quoted on Gadget's site..."it's like sucking air in through a straw, and blowing it out through a garden hose", or something of that nature.

Now, with that being said... you have to take into account back pressure for the bike. IF the goat belly is intact, this is where most of your back pressure is formed. The mufflers do have some back pressure plates built into them. I doubt they provide much pressure at all... most people punch them out looking for more sound anyway.

**Disclamer** - I take no responsibility for what you do to your bike based on my opinion. I am not an expert and I probably have no idea what I'm talking about. I just pass on information that I have read in the past couple of years. :)

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250
2005 Nomad 1600 - Darkside

"There is no normal life, there's just life. So get on with it." - Doc Holiday

Old 09-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #23

Maybe we should all put a disclaimer at the end of our posts.

TC's should read *My opinion is the law because I've been around longer than you and your bike have been alive. I HATE LOUD PIPES, CAR TIRES, AND PEOPLE THAT DON'T WEAR ATGATT! If you are one of those people, you will not like what I have to say!"

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250
2005 Nomad 1600 - Darkside

"There is no normal life, there's just life. So get on with it." - Doc Holiday

Old 09-19-2012, 02:11 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobandy78 View Post

TC's should read *My opinion is the law because I've been around longer than you and your bike have been alive. I HATE LOUD PIPES, CAR TIRES, AND PEOPLE THAT DON'T WEAR ATGATT! If you are one of those people, you will not like what I have to say!"
Don't forget the badges!

VBA #02190

Old 09-19-2012, 02:11 PM   #25

Quote:
Sounds like you may be a lawyer.
Hardly! But I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express... once.

VBA #02190

Old 09-19-2012, 02:36 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobandy78 View Post

I don't know where you people get your ideas from
I don't hate anybody or anything.
Your life is yours to live as you please.
To each their own is my motto.
Live and let live as they say.
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 09-19-2012, 02:49 PM   #27

I don't understand why everyone piles on TC for always being right. It's a breath of fresh air that somebody is, and isn't afraid to speak up!

Dan K
Member #100
2009 ST1300: Performance exceeding even Victory riders' boasts.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:03 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
I don't understand why everyone piles on TC for always being right. It's a breath of fresh air that somebody is, and isn't afraid to speak up!
The rest of you guys need to listen to Dan, he is a fine judge of character.
Dan, these guys just need someone to harass. They get stressed at their jobs all day while I relax at home
They are jealous.
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 09-19-2012, 04:42 PM   #29

Quote:
Actually I have been lookin for a couple cup holders for Cindy's and my bike. We figure we will need them for the National next year. They don't give them away for sure. $50 seems quite high to me.
Anyway, sorry for the rant, it is just loud pipes are one of the things that I am opinionated about. Gun control, car tires on bikes, people not wearing helmets...................

Edit; just noticed you thought I used all caps on my original post.
They were in bold letters not caps. Caps would be yelling, bold is just to call someones attention to the post.
Paid $40 for the one I have. Teri Conrad found one at a shop in Eureka springs for $5(I think) that clamps on with a spring clip. found out later as soon as you put anything in it it flops over and hangs at the bottom of the bar. ya get what ya pay for I guess, but I think she was going to try puting some rubber between the clamp and bar.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:45 PM   #30

Come to think of it Oldbones and his wife Patience had holders at the Northeast region rally that are held on the tank with a magnet. Seem to work good and didn't mar the paint. I will have to see what they cost.

Just checked http://www.magnificent-ma.com/ they are $39 also.
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Last edited by Top Cat; 09-19-2012 at 04:49 PM.