Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-26-2010, 04:32 PM   #16

Help....Bike died on way home

A Nomad can quit instantly going down the road from bad gas, I know this first hand after it happened to one of the guys.
Id add some gas line anti freeze or Meythl Hydrate to the tank to absorb the water if there is any. That way it eliminates a possible problem.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-27-2010, 05:50 AM   #17
Advanced Member

First-- I've interpreted that the Nomad in this thread just quit-electrically. Even with bad gas, the engine will turn over (until you run down the battery). It just won't catch.

On the way home last night, I stopped to help a guy on a Honda Magna. The same thing had happened to him. He had been there a while and had already called for a friend to bring a trailer.

He described a sudden shutdown. Under my expert direction, the bike would not try to turn over. The fuses were all fine. The various lights worked. He said he heard a "click" when he turned on the ignition. I couldn't hear anything because of the noisy highway.

I felt like one of those guys who knows nothing about cars, but looks under the hood of a broken down car anyway, hoping for something to jump out and say, "Hey, it's me that caused the breakdown. Just jiggle me a little."

He said that he was fine with his friend coming, so after I exhausted my limited bag of tricks, I left him. If he's still sitting there today, I'll get him a bottle of water or something.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:10 AM   #18

Been too busy to check anything yet on the bike. I'm thinking it's a electrical issue but am finally going to have time to check it out tonite. To answer some of the questiions. The motor just quit all other electrical functions work properly. The motor turns over normally it does drag or anything. It seems as though there is either no fuel or no fire. I'm hoping it's just the kickstand safety switch. That's what I plan on checking out 1st anyway. Really appreciate all the input. It's really cool to have a great bunch of people to draw from when ya need a little help.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:36 AM   #19

If it cranks over its not the clutch or kickstand switch.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 05-27-2010, 08:22 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobhamlin
First-- I've interpreted that the Nomad in this thread just quit-electrically. Even with bad gas, the engine will turn over (until you run down the battery). It just won't catch.

On the way home last night, I stopped to help a guy on a Honda Magna. The same thing had happened to him. He had been there a while and had already called for a friend to bring a trailer.

He described a sudden shutdown. Under my expert direction, the bike would not try to turn over. The fuses were all fine. The various lights worked. He said he heard a "click" when he turned on the ignition. I couldn't hear anything because of the noisy highway.

I felt like one of those guys who knows nothing about cars, but looks under the hood of a broken down car anyway, hoping for something to jump out and say, "Hey, it's me that caused the breakdown. Just jiggle me a little."

He said that he was fine with his friend coming, so after I exhausted my limited bag of tricks, I left him. If he's still sitting there today, I'll get him a bottle of water or something.

Well I thought he said all the lights and electrical were on and it turned over just fine?
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-27-2010, 03:09 PM   #21
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoeney
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobhamlin

Well I thought he said all the lights and electrical were on and it turned over just fine?
You're right, Schoeney. I was casually reading and misread the point about turning over. Unforced error. Advantage you.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:13 AM   #22

Shoer....I just read Ballast's thread that he thought his bike was not running after he painted it....turns out he was just out of fuel.

I know you said you just filled up but you may want to actually open the cap and make sure the fuel is in the tank.

I know on a couple of ocassions I have filled up with those "PITA" type nozzles while carrying on a conversation. The pump kicks off early because the fuel pump boot wasn't over the tank opening....you would think that I would notice that because the pump kicks off so quickly but if I am distracted I sometimes don't realize the error until I see the total gallons on the pump.

Just trying to eliminate the obvious. You wouldn't be the first guy that thought he had fuel but didn't.
VBA #659

Old 05-28-2010, 07:49 AM   #23
Sr. Contributor

Schoeney, Don't fill up on that type tank jamming the rubber gizzmo on the bike, Pull the blasted thing back with your other hand instead.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 05-28-2010, 03:58 PM   #24

But then how would I light my cigar while I am fillin up? ;)

Good suggestion Mac.
VBA #659

Old 05-28-2010, 06:23 PM   #25
Sr. Contributor

Neva' smoke a good Cuban and be doing anything else. A good Cuban deserves yer full attention. Sipping Scotch is the only other decent thing to be doing with Cubans.

Of course riding it is permissable before and after sipping Scotch.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 05-29-2010, 09:26 AM   #26

I had the Same problem last year. Filled up with gas and shortly after the bike just quit.
Turns out that the rubber o-ring between the fuel pump and the fuel module blew out causing no fuel pressure. I purchased a new fuel pump and fixed the problem. I tinkered around with the old fuel pump to fix and it can be done with a piece of fuel line in between the fuel pump and the fuel module. I dont know how long it will last since is totally submerged in fuel but it is working know. I still have a new fuel pump as a spare if the old ever gives out.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:58 AM   #27
Sr. Contributor

Mike which engine 1500, or 1600? The fuel pumps are not the same between these engines a bit.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 05-29-2010, 09:23 PM   #28
Top Contributor

Nomad Mike. Can you please explain in more detail. Thanks.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:42 AM   #29

Thanks for all the help guys. It ended up being a fuse. Thought I had already checked it but obviously hadn't. Found it Sunday morning, replaced it and rode 350 miles without a problem.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:09 AM   #30

Which fuse and where is it located so that if this happens to some one else we know what it could be! Thanks.