Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 10-06-2014, 01:30 PM   #16
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawhead View Post
When there's an article reporting several catastrophic failure accidents attributed to dumb-dumbs installing Car Tires on their motor bikes, then I might be convinced to go back to a bike tyre when the Goodyear wears out. I've been searching, so far zilch! 'Cept for the guy who knows a guy, who knows a guy.

I got a problem with a buncha high browed pencil neck snobs in white coats and pocket protectors telling me something wont work. I have to listen to 'em all day at work, not out here.

I'd ride a bike on a a car tire any day, never a car on two or four bike tires ever. I did know a butt monkey who rode on two of those dough-nut spares for a while.

Thanks for posting Ring!
Well, catastrophic, may be not, but I know of at least one accident here where the bike was on a sweeper on a wet road and it went out. Car tires aren't as good off camber, meaning on turns and they don't offer the same traction in those circumstances as a good motorcycle tire. You are free to do as you will, that's for sure, but I'd hate to think I'd put economics ahead of safety.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-06-2014, 01:33 PM   #17
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
There are quite a few GL1800 riders who have CTs on their bikes that absolutely tear up the Tail of the Dragon. (I see their YouTube videos.) I ride (or have ridden) with a few others (on various makes/models) who run CTs and can outcorner most sane bikers. Very skilled, very insane or very blessed (or a combination of the 3) but they do it.
Under ideal conditions, but would they do the dragon when it's wet or some other conditions that marginalized traction? It could be these riders are very skilled and would get the same or better results with a motorcycle tire. The choice is purely economic.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Old 10-06-2014, 01:54 PM   #18

I can remember the old Avon block tyre's that we used on the bike's in the late 60's,early 70's, they were lethal once they were leant over too far, we were for ever pulling each other out of ditches,with the bend's and camber's on the road's that we have here, i would'nt even think about putting a square profile tyre on a bike i can just imagine the first bend from my house, i would be straight through Milly Baker's hedge, across her lawn and through the kitchen door,and that would'nt hurt nowhere near as much as the arse kicking she would dish out

Last edited by mick56; 10-06-2014 at 02:02 PM.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:19 PM   #19

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch View Post
Well, catastrophic, may be not, but I know of at least one accident here where the bike was on a sweeper on a wet road and it went out. Car tires aren't as good off camber, meaning on turns and they don't offer the same traction in those circumstances as a good motorcycle tire. You are free to do as you will, that's for sure, but I'd hate to think I'd put economics ahead of safety.
That's it!
When the Goodyear wears out it's henceforth bike tires!
Besides, what good is money if you cain't live to spend it?

I think my grand pappy use to say that. He said a lot of things. He never shut the hell up! It was blah blah blah blah blah. I hated when he'd propose a toast at Christmas. They always gave me socks! Cheapskates!

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 10-06-2014, 02:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
I can remember the old Avon block tyre's that we used on the bike's in the late 60's,early 70's, they were lethal once they were leant over too far, we were for ever pulling each other out of ditches,with the bend's and camber's on the road's that we have here, i would'nt even think about putting a square profile tyre on a bike i can just imagine the first bend from my house, i would be straight through Milly Baker's hedge, across her lawn and through the kitchen door,and that would'nt hurt nowhere near as much as the arse kicking she would dish out
I know a guy that took out a picket fence and a rose garden. No jacket, just a T-shirt. He looked like somebody took a Cat-o-Ninetails to him! He was mad as hell because the Old Lady called the police, cussed him out, and would let him leave 'till they got there! I can't remember if insurance covered it or not.

Oh, he was on a bike tire, dry pavement, in a curve. Had he known about car tires, he'd have had one, and perhaps avoided that horrific accident as hilarious as it was.

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-06-2014, 03:14 PM   #21

Quote:
I know a guy that took out a picket fence and a rose garden. No jacket, just a T-shirt. He looked like somebody took a Cat-o-Ninetails to him! He was mad as hell because the Old Lady called the police, cussed him out, and would let him leave 'till they got there! I can't remember if insurance covered it or not.

Oh, he was on a bike tire, dry pavement, in a curve. Had he known about car tires, he'd have had one, and perhaps avoided that horrific accident as hilarious as it was.
I got an idea i know that bloke I hit the ditch outside Millie's mother's house on Triumph Tiger cub when i was a nipper, i got shot up in the air and almost cleared the hedge( it was'nt so high then )and crashed right through the greenhouse, i lay there thinking shit ! i must be cut to bit's, i got up slowly, checking myself out,not a cut on me, i could'nt believe my luck, then simultaniously i heard a woman's voice shrieking :you bastard, look what you done to my tomatoe's: and felt the pain of the yard brush across the back of my head, ( no helmet law then )she chased me right across the lawn, i left through the same hole in the hedge that i made on the way in

Old 10-06-2014, 06:14 PM   #22

Quote:
I got an idea i know that bloke I hit the ditch outside Millie's mother's house on Triumph Tiger cub when i was a nipper, i got shot up in the air and almost cleared the hedge( it was'nt so high then )and crashed right through the greenhouse, i lay there thinking shit ! i must be cut to bit's, i got up slowly, checking myself out,not a cut on me, i could'nt believe my luck, then simultaniously i heard a woman's voice shrieking :you bastard, look what you done to my tomatoe's: and felt the pain of the yard brush across the back of my head, ( no helmet law then )she chased me right across the lawn, i left through the same hole in the hedge that i made on the way in
My buddy told me he was bloody from head to toe, limping around dazed while the old woman was screaming for her husband to call the police and cussing him for tearing up her flowers. The LOE sighted him for everything he could think of. Reckless driving, public endangerment, destruction of public and private property for damage to the curb.

I don't think insurance paid for it because he went to court for it.

That guy was about 45 years old back then and I was maybe 25. He lived like he was 20 and was gonna die tomorrow. He died in his bed peacefully when he was 50. Maybe from a bad drug problem in his 20's is the rumor. I sure do miss Ronnie Barlow. He was a hell of a guy!

As a matter of fact, he was the one who helped me get my first bike. We got two KZ-400's and built one out of them. It was a '77 '78 KZ-400.
I think I had $40.00 in it.

No match for his V-Max!

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

Old 10-06-2014, 06:19 PM   #23

Good Grief! I'm getting "Dating Russian Women" advertising in the box now!

The girl on it can change my free market capitalist ideology fast!

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

Old 10-06-2014, 06:31 PM   #24

Quote:
Good Grief! I'm getting "Dating Russian Women" advertising in the box now!

The girl on it can change my free market capitalist ideology fast!
I use Adblock plus mate,it's free, dont carry any virus shit, and it stops all the ads and pop up's, google it. And any self respecting fanny rat is allway's going to put pussy before ideology

Last edited by mick56; 10-06-2014 at 06:37 PM.

Old 10-06-2014, 06:53 PM   #25

Quote:
I use Adblock plus mate,it's free, dont carry any virus shit, and it stops all the ads and pop up's, google it. And any self respecting fanny rat is allway's going to put pussy before ideology
Fanny Rat!
Self respect is a variable and reacts inversely according to specific pursuits in any giving moment.
I can handle the sexy ads in the box, pop ups get on me nerves mate.

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

Old 10-06-2014, 07:41 PM   #26
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
That's it!
When the Goodyear wears out it's henceforth bike tires!
Besides, what good is money if you cain't live to spend it?

I think my grand pappy use to say that. He said a lot of things. He never shut the hell up! It was blah blah blah blah blah. I hated when he'd propose a toast at Christmas. They always gave me socks! Cheapskates!
You're grand pappy was a wise man.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 10-06-2014, 11:09 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch View Post
You're grand pappy was a wise man.

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad