Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 08-27-2012, 06:03 PM   #16
Sr. Contributor

geeze who knew..... I have 2 older CB's still that haven't been used in years. One is a wx Cobra and the other a Midland.

Is it really worth putting one on a Nomad? Naw........ can't be... But i am speaking for just me.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-27-2012, 06:55 PM   #17
Sr. Contributor

The latest Motorcycle Cruiser has an article on the different technologies for wireless communication. You may want to check it out. They each have their strengths and weaknesses.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 08-27-2012, 07:36 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish View Post
was you handle "Top Cat"? Mine was "college kid"
Yes it was TopCat or TC I have had that nickname since freshman year in High School.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 08-27-2012, 11:54 PM   #19
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
...it's great to be able to chat while riding.
Only if me or the other person(s) has something important to say. Doesn't happen often. If I want to chat, I'll stop after the ride and chat. I'd rather crank up the tunes and ride. If I'm not paying enough attention to catch the shirtless babe in the Mustang, that's on me. Same goes for the upcoming lane closure. If I'm the last one in line and have to stop, I either ride up to the next person to let them know I'm stopping or I just stop. Either I'll catch up or I won't. I don't ride fast enough to worry much about the cops, either. About 5-8 over is my limit. Let them ticket me. It'll never stick. I'd be happy to show up for court. One more chance to ride. Warning about an alien invasion? Don't bother warning me. Wherever they take me has got to be better than this planet. Stranded in the middle of nowhere with no cell signal and nobody's driving by I can't flag down? Probably nobody within radio range, either. I just don't see a need for it. If you (or Cheri or anybody else) wants one, go for it. Your bike probably came with it stock anyway.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 08-28-2012, 05:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheriann View Post
I'm just wondering, has anybody else with a Vaquero looked into installing the Kawi CB kit? Is the radio the same that is in the Voyager and Vaquero?
I bought a used Voyager CB on Ebay. Plugs right in, works with all the factory radio controls just fine. A slight mod to the Voyager bracket allowed me to mount it on top of the radio in the fairing. The biggest challenge was an antenna. I ended up with a 3 foot firestick (mainly because it came in red) mounted to a bracket I attached to the right lower bag mount. You'll need the Kawi rider connection kit and some kind of headset. One disappointment-the CB can only be heard in the headset. It would be nice to be able to monitor it without a headset from time to time. Don't buy a headset from iMC Motorcom-last I heard theirs DID NOT work with the Voyager or Vaquero. J&M sets work just fine.

Big Dog
Atlanta, GA
2011 Vaquero

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-28-2012, 05:38 PM   #21
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog1294 View Post
I bought a used Voyager CB on Ebay. Plugs right in, works with all the factory radio controls just fine. A slight mod to the Voyager bracket allowed me to mount it on top of the radio in the fairing. The biggest challenge was an antenna. I ended up with a 3 foot firestick (mainly because it came in red) mounted to a bracket I attached to the right lower bag mount. You'll need the Kawi rider connection kit and some kind of headset. One disappointment-the CB can only be heard in the headset. It would be nice to be able to monitor it without a headset from time to time. Don't buy a headset from iMC Motorcom-last I heard theirs DID NOT work with the Voyager or Vaquero. J&M sets work just fine.
J&M has a lot of stuff. Wow. Depending on the bike, Bluetooth integration as well as other stuff. Expensive though, but I am sure it works well.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 08-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #22

CB Radio

Quote:
Thank you very much, that's just what we needed to know. If possible do you have some pics of the mounting. I will be buying Cheri the CB soon. I have the J&M handlebar unit myself for my Nomad. And yes J&M is expensive but worth it for the quality.

Thanks again.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:39 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazz View Post
Thank you very much, that's just what we needed to know. If possible do you have some pics of the mounting. I will be buying Cheri the CB soon. I have the J&M handlebar unit myself for my Nomad. And yes J&M is expensive but worth it for the quality.

Thanks again.
If you'll send me an email at texas47<at>aol dot com I'll take a few pics and get them off you.
Rick

Big Dog
Atlanta, GA
2011 Vaquero

Old 09-04-2012, 07:43 AM   #24

Quote:
If you'll send me an email at texas47<at>aol dot com I'll take a few pics and get them off you.
Rick
We were away for the weekend, or we would have sent you an email sooner.....but I just sent you one!!! Thank you SO MUCH!!!!

Cheri Ann
2012 Vulcan Vaquero
VBA #2069

Old 09-04-2012, 07:48 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
Only if me or the other person(s) has something important to say. Doesn't happen often. If I want to chat, I'll stop after the ride and chat. I'd rather crank up the tunes and ride. If I'm not paying enough attention to catch the shirtless babe in the Mustang, that's on me. Same goes for the upcoming lane closure. If I'm the last one in line and have to stop, I either ride up to the next person to let them know I'm stopping or I just stop. Either I'll catch up or I won't. I don't ride fast enough to worry much about the cops, either. About 5-8 over is my limit. Let them ticket me. It'll never stick. I'd be happy to show up for court. One more chance to ride. Warning about an alien invasion? Don't bother warning me. Wherever they take me has got to be better than this planet. Stranded in the middle of nowhere with no cell signal and nobody's driving by I can't flag down? Probably nobody within radio range, either. I just don't see a need for it. If you (or Cheri or anybody else) wants one, go for it. Your bike probably came with it stock anyway.
I am SO GRATEFUL that Chaz enjoys talking to me! Every time we ride, we grab our Scala units so we can talk. We still listen to our tunes...but when we want to say something to each other, we can. We talk about things we see on the ride, or about crazy drivers we are encountering, or just plain BS talk....we have even had some of our deepest conversations with solutions, while riding on the bikes!

Cheri Ann
2012 Vulcan Vaquero
VBA #2069

Old 09-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheriann View Post
We were away for the weekend, or we would have sent you an email sooner.....but I just sent you one!!! Thank you SO MUCH!!!!
I know the feeling-been out riding myself, finally back at the house. Pics should be in your email box by now. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Rick

Big Dog
Atlanta, GA
2011 Vaquero

Old 09-04-2012, 07:49 PM   #27

I would love to have both the CB and XM options, but neither one is worth $400 plus...to me anyway. Especially the CB since it would be very rare I would have anyone riding with me that had one as well. It would have been handy on my trip west last month though, just couldn't get myself to do it not knowing when would ever use it again

VBA #01898

Old 09-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #28

Quote:
I know the feeling-been out riding myself, finally back at the house. Pics should be in your email box by now. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Rick
Got it!!!!
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!!

Cheri Ann
2012 Vulcan Vaquero
VBA #2069

Old 09-05-2012, 09:11 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4bob View Post
I would love to have both the CB and XM options, but neither one is worth $400 plus...to me anyway.
I have to agree-both are waaaayyy overpriced-doubt that either would cost that much to produce. The big upside is having the controls at your fingertips and everything integrated into the stock audio system. Had it not been for the price, I would have gone without. I stumbled on a used CB on Ebay last winter real cheap. Might have been a fluke-one of the wires was pulled out of the plug, but an easy fix. I wasn't really interested in XM at the time, but found a new-in-the-box Kawi unit for less than half price (also on Ebay.) Couldn't pass it up for the price, knowing I could likely recover my cost down the road. So I have both at less than what it cost me to install and connect headsets in both helmets (another overpriced set of accessories, in my opinion.) I use the XM all the time-great on long trips. Other than group rides, the CB only gets used (monitored) on highway trips. But it's there and I can turn up the squelch if there's too much chatter.

Big Dog
Atlanta, GA
2011 Vaquero

Old 09-05-2012, 10:58 AM   #30
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
that's only when their CB's work well!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005