Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 08-26-2010, 08:25 PM   #16
Top Contributor

Trying to install the audiovox cruise control

PM sent.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-26-2010, 08:43 PM   #17
Mega-Contributor

I just got off the phone with Jared. I had him disconnect the vacuum hose from the module while the bike was running. He said he can feel strong, steady vacuum. He says the LEDs on the unit all work as they are supposed to per Gadget's instructions. I told him where to find the Audiovox troubleshooting info in the CCS100 installation guide and it explains what kind of signal you should get on each pin of the connector. I'm starting to wonder if his servo module isn't DOA.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 08-26-2010, 10:34 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
Cali bikes do have the reed valve tubing to the right if you are standing on the right looking down about 2 inches over. Try getting on that vac port.

Did you take off the vac pod with all the hose to the reed valves? Did you take off the reed valve bodies and install coaster plates?
Yes I did remove the reed vavle and add the coaster plate. A friend of mine who has owned 3 different 1600 did most of the work, so I'm not too familiar with what was removed, but maybe that is why I'm not seeing anything.

When the bike is on, i'm getting a good constant suction from the hose that I taped into, so I'm assuming everything is okay with that.

The wires appear to be working properly, blinking when they should, as stated on gadgets page.

Everything looks good, but when I turn the cc on, the wire does not pull tight or appear to do anything...?

I've coated the canister one more time with some silicone. I'll let it sit over night and if there is any link, that should fix it.

VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 08-26-2010, 10:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
I just got off the phone with Jared. I had him disconnect the vacuum hose from the module while the bike was running. He said he can feel strong, steady vacuum. He says the LEDs on the unit all work as they are supposed to per Gadget's instructions. I told him where to find the Audiovox troubleshooting info in the CCS100 installation guide and it explains what kind of signal you should get on each pin of the connector. I'm starting to wonder if his servo module isn't DOA.
I sure hope it's not broken. I bought it from Jim about 5 months back and it's just been sitting in my garage waiting to aggravate me, I mean for me to install it.

Anyone ever have one break? What were the symptoms?

Old 08-26-2010, 11:56 PM   #20
Top Contributor

One thing I mentioned to Jared in a PM is that the purple wire which connects to the brake light is what turns the CC off when the brakes are applied. If the rear brake light switch is out of adjustment or sticking the brake light will be on all the time. If the brake light is on you cannot turn on the CC. This happened to me and I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get it to set until a driver pulled up next to me at a traffic light and told me my brake light was staying on all the time.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-27-2010, 09:15 AM   #21
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Motorcyclist
Wouldn't the lights not be working if the ground was bad?
Nope you would never notice them blinking. They do but so fast you can't tell, when they are grounded right thru the bearings.

Instead what you find is trashed bearings and races.

The fix is easy. select a any hidden bolt on the forks you like, and another on the frame neck some where, like the ones holding the black plastic neck cover and make up a wire long enough, with 2 eyes. Install it cleanly. Mine goes under that black plastic and the other end is inside the chrome face plate on the right at one of the brackets there.

Even if there is nothing to ground there it is a wise idea. The problem is less, but that ft tire spinning will want a ground anyway.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 08-27-2010, 10:34 AM   #22

I wanted to double check, that everyone has the first and last switch on their servo on, right? I ask cause in one of Yellow Jacket pictures he has them all of....

Old 08-27-2010, 02:33 PM   #23

Jared, give Audiovox service dept a call, I called them a couple years ago about a problem I had and found them to be very knowledgable with the cruise control units.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 08-27-2010, 03:12 PM   #24

A bad ground causes all sorts of odd ball things to happen. some things work and some don't even when evrything is wired correctly. example. lights and tail light and break light work but not turn signals. wireing is ok bulbs are ok but a bad ground is the problem. I, know you are not working on turn signals, that is just an example.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:14 PM   #25
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Motorcyclist
I wanted to double check, that everyone has the first and last switch on their servo on, right? I ask cause in one of Yellow Jacket pictures he has them all of....
The picture was taken before I had set the switches. It was to show how I had formed the bracket rather than the switch setting.

First and last switch on is correct.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006

Old 08-30-2010, 03:04 PM   #26

Jared; Did you get the cruise control sorted out yet?

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 08-30-2010, 04:31 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
Jared; Did you get the cruise control sorted out yet?
No. I had a weekend trip planned and I was hoping to have it for the trip, but I just couldn't get it to work properly.

I'll pull things back apart this week and see if I can figure out what is wrong....:(