Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 07-09-2012, 08:22 PM   #16
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson View Post
I AM an expert at being short... YOU should have more respect!
You just keep taking those small short steps, I wouldn't want to hear about you falling over.

Bobblefoot, I wonder if that is kind of like Bigfoot?
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-09-2012, 11:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loafer View Post
You just keep taking those small short steps, I wouldn't want to hear about you falling over.

Bobblefoot, I wonder if that is kind of like Bigfoot?
I hope you guys are having fun

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 07-09-2012, 11:07 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheriann View Post
....I am still adjusting to the weight difference from my old 900LT. I was backing it out of the garage yesterday and it tipped over on me a bit. Not all the way and no damage. I told Chaz it just feels heavier than when I ride his Nomad. He tried to tell me they weighed the same...until he checked the stats on the web.....my bike is 50 pounds heavier than his 07 Nomad!!!!

Riding it and straight on parking is no problem. It's the slower stuff that tests my strength! I think I'll start working out with weights instead of my pedal bicycle
Cheri,
After grinding the location pin off the back of the switch assembly I tilted my handlebars back and down. I find it a lot easier to handle now at speeds below 10 mph and it comes off the stand easier.
Try just adjusting the bars back and down and see if it doesn't come off the stand easier for you. If so ride it around a little at slow speed. If works then remove the location pin off the switch assembly and adjust the switches and levers to suit your taste.
VBA #02089

Previous Bikes:
75 Yamaha 175
09 Vulcan 900 Classic
11 Vulcan Vaquero
Harleys:
75 Sportster XLCH
84 Sportster 1000
85 FXRT
79 Low Rider

Old 07-09-2012, 11:10 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
Darn good thing we are all friends here.

Cheri Ann, just take your time and go slow for a while and you will be okay. As Greg said, take small steps when moving the bike. Also, when you come to a stop ONLY put down your left foot until you come to a dead stop. That way you can keep your right foot on the rear brake peddal and stop the bike. If you put both feet down too soon and try to stop with just the front brake you will wind up with the bike on its side. Not good.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 07-10-2012, 08:39 AM   #20
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
Darn good thing we are all friends here.

Cheri Ann, just take your time and go slow for a while and you will be okay. As Greg said, take small steps when moving the bike. Also, when you come to a stop ONLY put down your left foot until you come to a dead stop. That way you can keep your right foot on the rear brake peddal and stop the bike. If you put both feet down too soon and try to stop with just the front brake you will wind up with the bike on its side. Not good.
That is excellent advice.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #21

Thank you all again for the great tips....and the big laughs!!!

Cheri Ann
2012 Vulcan Vaquero
VBA #2069

Old 07-11-2012, 04:45 PM   #22

You can always count on the clowns to show up!

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 07-12-2012, 06:35 PM   #23

Quote:
....I am still adjusting to the weight difference from my old 900LT. I was backing it out of the garage yesterday and it tipped over on me a bit. Not all the way and no damage. I told Chaz it just feels heavier than when I ride his Nomad. He tried to tell me they weighed the same...until he checked the stats on the web.....my bike is 50 pounds heavier than his 07 Nomad!!!!

Riding it and straight on parking is no problem. It's the slower stuff that tests my strength! I think I'll start working out with weights instead of my pedal bicycle
I'm 5'6" on a good day and have NOT lowered my vaq, nor will I.
Three things...
1) I have some thick soled jungle boots which make me feel taller.
2) I bolted a hockey puck under my kickstand foot, now the bike doesn't lean near as far.
3) I changed bars to an arlen ness drag/pullback. The controls are now closer to me and I feel like the bike isn't as big as it used to be.

Good luck with your new bike!
Sergeant at Arms, Chapter 32-1
Combat Vets Motorcycle Association

Old 07-16-2012, 03:39 PM   #24

I realize my mind is playing with me....I keep expecting to have problems when I move my bike...anything that has my feet on the ground, like backing up...I didn't have all these problems in the beginning, until I let my mind start telling me this was too much bike for me

I keep working at it...once I conquer my mind, the rest will come easy. Short small steps...that's what I keep telling myself...

Cheri Ann
2012 Vulcan Vaquero
VBA #2069

Old 07-16-2012, 05:02 PM   #25

Quote:
I realize my mind is playing with me....I keep expecting to have problems when I move my bike...anything that has my feet on the ground, like backing up...I didn't have all these problems in the beginning, until I let my mind start telling me this was too much bike for me

I keep working at it...once I conquer my mind, the rest will come easy. Short small steps...that's what I keep telling myself...
Another thing that helped me (since everyone has made their obligation to point-out I am short) is while making short steps, to be sure to keep the bike upright.

If your foot slips even a little the bike will tip quite a bit. If you already have it leaning then the combination can lead to a dropped-bike. And always look at the area around where you are going to be putting your feet before moving to be sure you are not in an area causing slips.

Keep working on it and you'll be comfortable...

VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 07-16-2012, 08:00 PM   #26
Sr. Contributor

Finally some good solid advice!

Old 07-16-2012, 09:49 PM   #27

Cheri, if you are having a struggle lifting it off of the sidestand, lock the bars fully to the right before attempting to stand it up and you will find it much lighter. Try it, you'll agree.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 07-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson View Post
Another thing that helped me (since everyone has made their obligation to point-out I am short) is while making short steps, to be sure to keep the bike upright.

If your foot slips even a little the bike will tip quite a bit. If you already have it leaning then the combination can lead to a dropped-bike. And always look at the area around where you are going to be putting your feet before moving to be sure you are not in an area causing slips.

Keep working on it and you'll be comfortable...
EXCELLENT IDEA! Thank you!
I take the smaller steps, and that does help, but I don't know if I am making sure the bike it completely straight up. I'm going to try that!

Cheri Ann
2012 Vulcan Vaquero
VBA #2069

Old 07-17-2012, 12:54 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunrider View Post
Cheri, if you are having a struggle lifting it off of the sidestand, lock the bars fully to the right before attempting to stand it up and you will find it much lighter. Try it, you'll agree.
Thank you for the tip, but I don't have any problem lifting it off the kickstand. Heck, I've ridden a V2K and could lift that up. That's why I am puzzled at my problem doing small moving around tasks with my feet on the ground. Riding it is no problem. Sitting still is no problem. It's just those darn slow movements that require my strength to keep the bike steady while doing it.....am I making sense??????

Cheri Ann
2012 Vulcan Vaquero
VBA #2069

Old 07-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #30

Well said Cheri I have the same problem! Are there a way for you to lower the seat on the Vaquero? last time I talked to the Kawasaki sale rep. He did not know! I am tip toes on my Vaquero when the bike moves slow.