Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 10-03-2011, 02:25 AM   #16

I didn't either. I spent hours googling for a similar problem in the world. None showed up. How can I get so lucky. I am going to go get a flashlight with a fiber optic extension like you would get to look down a gun barrel. Then I will turn out the light and shine it into the hole, take out the spark plug and plug tubs, and see if it shows up inside the engine. If it does where that light comes out might be a clue.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-03-2011, 08:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsamson View Post
No I have not looked. That would mean I would have to take off the dog bowls to see, and I am not sure I could probe to see if it goes into the engine. My air intakes plastic piece that holds the air intakes in place broke a while back. I have them sort of jerry rigged to stay in place. I discovered when they broke when I went to replace the air filters, no idea why they broke, they just are.
There is another hole in the front cyclinder facing the radiator, I was looking in the wrong direction. No oil leaks out of it though, and it passes into the engine also.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:07 PM   #18
Sr. Contributor

My system isn't making the pic bigger. So I am not clear on where the oil is.

If you could upload these to photobucket I might help more. At this point I don't dare take a guess.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 10-03-2011, 09:31 PM   #19

I haven't figured out how to make a larger picture in the post. The instructions on here only talked about adding an attachment, to insert in the post it refers to an arrow to click then I can put the pictures anywhere, I couldn't find the arrow.

Thanks for the suggestions of links to Photobucket here they are
They uploaded in phtobuck in reverse order.

Pict 1: http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/y...amanomad/1.jpg
Pict 2: http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/y...amanomad/2.jpg
Pict 3: http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/y...amanomad/4.jpg
Pict 4: http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/y...amanomad/6.jpg
Pict 5: http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/y...amanomad/5.jpg

Old 10-03-2011, 09:35 PM   #20
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Mac, I'm clueless. there shouldn't be a hole anywhere except the breather hose to vent crankcase vapors to the air cleaner! ????

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-03-2011, 10:32 PM   #21

Im guessig that its a blind hole that has a flaw in the casting and has begun to leak. I assume that it was ok up until know with no oil leak.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:58 PM   #22

It was great until my last oil change. No weird sounds, just low on oil but no leak. It was time to change the oil and the plugs. I changed the oil, filter, the rear plug was quite black but the rear right and front left always have been very dark. I changed the oil, and then the oil started leaking. I noticed it the next day after I rode it.

I came home, noticed I had over filled, I thought that was the problem, so I drained some out. No oil came out of the breather by the air intake. The oil level is where it should be but it has leaked ever since.

Then I thought since oil was all over, and since I had to take apart the chain tension a second time (it wasn't extending for some reason) and checked it (all is well it moves, the extender is still there) and put it back I had a leaky gasket. I replaced the gasket.

Saturday I cleaned it up then in the daylight I saw it coming out of the hole. It only starts after the bike is good and warmed up 5-8 minutes of the engine idle then the oil starts coming out. I have checked the oil and it is not over filled. Compression is very good about 120 psi on that cylinder, and all the cylinders are nearly the same.

There is a small hole in the spark plug past the end of the tube. Not one that was cut through by the chain but one that is there from the factory. The hole is near where the spark plugs thread start, past the tube.

I have no idea why that hole is there. I have found oil on the spark plug threads, and in the spark plug chamber. I figured that oil was from the hole in the spark plug chamber past the tube.
The bike doesn't smoke, and there is no oil coming out of the spark plug chamber.

I have removed the sparkplug tube, and the chain had scrapped the tube but didn't cut through by any means. I just figured that happened just before I put the extenders on. That was done at 21,000 miles I now have 40,000 and this is the first time oil is leaking in this spot.

I will get a flashlight tomorrow and shine up the hole to see where the light comes out.

I have talked to a MC mechanic and he has never heard of this. I talked to a Kawa mech and they have never heard of this either.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:21 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
...., I'm clueless. ....
Too easy.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:02 AM   #24
Sr. Contributor

Ok here is what I think, but this isn't dead on accurate. I can see the pics now, and I went out and looked at my 1600. I could put 1/2 inch of wire in the hole on my bike.

I would like several other guys to stick wire in that hole and gauge/measure how deep the hole seems to be.

If everyone comes up with 1/2 inch, this is a blind casting hole, made for a robot to grab the jugs with on the assembly line.

If everyone has a different depth, it's a chain gallery hole for some part of assembly and it was plugged with a pin pressed in.

No one but God can order a new pin, for us earthlings that pin is unobtainium.

I have seen something like this just once before and it was on a Porche. In that case the plug was on the oil feed to the cam shaft and under high oil pressure. I fixed that with a friggin black powder round ball, no joke, and no I didn't shoot the ball into the hole.

Before I state a fix, I'ld really like to see that rear jug off the engine, but faster info is likely needed/wanted.

So my opinion is that the hole should be tapped, and after cleaning the hole with carb cleaner ON a Q Tip, about 10 times, a bolt apx 6mm's long, half the depth of the hole on my bike should be red locktited in that hole.

jonsamson, are you any good at tapping and threading holes? If not don't! You get one chance to get this straight.

No glue will work perioud. If you have extended warrenty, I would print this post and take it to a dealer. If I were the tech, I would removed the exhaust system, or atleast that head pipe, for room to move a tap.

The oil there is not under pressure, but it is likely 'slinging' off the cam chain, so it isn't a real desperate situation, just serious.

You didn't do this...... There is nothing possible you could have done to cause this.

Either a casting wall failed, or a pin plug has dropped out or into the engine. If it were going to cause a big problem it already would have. Since the engine case is under positive pressure, there is a 60/40 chance the pin plug was pushed out.

For me to be 100% sure, I would need to see a rear jug empty.

Once a few other guys measure, if there is much difference from my measurement we can decide if there was a wall casting in a blind hole, or if there was a pin plug.

In the 2005/2006 book page 5-4 has the best view, but making out the hole isn't happening. If you know where the hole is, then you can use a little common sence.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Last edited by macmac; 10-04-2011 at 10:05 AM.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:07 AM   #25

I just went out and measured the depth with a piece of wire, and my guesstimate is 1/2"

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 10-04-2011, 01:24 PM   #26
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Mine stops at "one Dave pecker length" or 1/2 inch . I think you might be right mac and it's just a machine jig holding plug...

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 10-04-2011, 03:12 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
Mine stops at "one Dave pecker length" or 1/2 yard . I think you might be right mac and it's just a machine jig holding plug...

What can I say?

Old 10-04-2011, 06:17 PM   #28
Sr. Contributor

Maybe it's time fer another bullet fix It just might be that a pure lead .22 bullet could fix this.

If I was going to try that, I would pull a pure lead, not copper coated .22 and try it backwards for size. It should be a smidgen too fat to fit the hole. The idea here is to shear a sliver of lead off, so the hole has a perfect fit. The hole would be cleaned as I said before.

Red loctite would be applied to the bullet and some how that bullet would need to be driven into the hole with a hammer. Last 3 stake marks would be set into the area around the hole to make damnned sure that bullet doesn't come out. Then the bullet could be sawed off flush.

But the reality is threading a hole for a short bolt would best easiest and as fast.

That Porsche was different, being the hole had a smaller land, and in that land was a main oil gallery hole that could not be blocked off. Had it been blocked off no oil would have fed the camshaft, and Porche's don't have any replacable cam bearings.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 10-04-2011, 06:49 PM   #29

Mine stops at 2.25"....
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 10-04-2011, 07:35 PM   #30
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Motorcyclist View Post
Mine stops at 2.25"....
Now that's interesting....... 2 and 1/4 inches in huh!

Got oil?

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac