Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 07-29-2015, 03:31 PM   #16

Avon grips

2010 Nomad 1700
Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Titanium

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-30-2015, 12:19 PM   #17

Kendon - The Vaquero's are really sensitive on the cable adjustments and have seen this a lot. You may think the throttle is sticky but it is usually just one of the cables being to tight and forcing the other to pull. Try slacking out the return cable a little bit and most likely the problem will correct itself (adjust this at the throttle houning end). You will see a small lock nut holding the adjustment nut in place, back this nut off and the slowly start threading it in (clockwise and keep checking the throttle every half turn till the throttle returns on its own when you let go. If this does not work you have a cable or return spring issue. Almost willing to bet this is the issue. I see it all the time when people swap out grips they just dont adjust both cables properly. Hope this helps.

2012 Vaquero
Custom Paint
Billet Long Boards
21" Front Wheel
Metzler 880 Tire
Ride-On Wheel Balancer
Air Bag Suspension
FI2000R EFI Module
Cobra Tri Ovals
Mach 5 Big Air Kit
Infinity Speakers
Alpine Amplifier
ISO Grips w/Spikes
Green LED's as Side Makers (in skulls eyes)

Old 08-02-2015, 02:04 AM   #18

Thanks for the input. I was certain that it was a grip issue, however after leaving the bike sit over night, the next morning I checked the throttle again before looking at the cable adjustments and it worked as it should. It returned perfectly. I took the bike for a spin and after about 5 minutes of riding the throttle was sticking a little bit. After about 15-20 minutes of riding, it was sticking again. I let the bike sit over night again, and this morning again before riding the throttle did as it should. I had a look at the return spring on the throttle body and it looked like it worked just fine. I took the bike for a spin and once again after about 15 mins or riding it started acting up again. With the throttle sticking I looked at the cable adjustments, but was unable to get the throttle to snap back. However i found that the long adjustment nut (not the lock nut) on the return cable, was bound to the cable and when I tried to turn the adjustment nut out the cable housing twisted with it, and was unable to make any adjustment. So at this point I am at a total loss. All I can think of is replacing the return cable, as the cable attached to the return spring on the throttle body seems to perform as it should. Any other insight here would be helpful.
Thanks again.

Old 08-09-2015, 12:30 PM   #19

Hello all. Just wanted to leave an update to my sticking throttle issue, and provide a reference if any one else has a similar problem. The issue was with the Drag Specialties heated grips. The Throttle grip just didn't fit right. Too snug and maybe a bit short. I replaced them with Kuryakyn ISO grips and the throttle grip fits almost like a glove. With a bare minimum of cable adjustment the sticky throttle issue is gone.

Oh and the 12v plug handles my 10amp air compressor no problem.

Thanks again.