Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 09-10-2015, 11:16 AM   #16

I can't say for sure the RT air cleaner will make that kind of power by itself, I installed it with pipes and already had the PCV in. I can tell you that there are BAK's out there that are slightly better as far as max power and pure airflow. The Thunder Mfg BAK's offer the most airflow for these bike. I have been to the shop and seen the design and prototype process, and talked to Dave and Travis about exactly what they are shooting for in the designs. They showed me some flow test results from some of the other kits on the market, versus theirs as well. My Roarin Toyz was the first one they had gotten their hands on, and they were happy with the design. We did some dyno pulls with the air cleaner in street trim, and with the air cleaner removed and just the back plate on, and there was only a bout a 1.5-2 HP gain removing the filter. If you are looking to get a BAK, the RT is good, but look at the Thunder Mfg's too. They both make a very good product.
Thunder Mfg Prototype Hi Performance Kit Rev 2
109 cid
Klockwerks Windshield
Corbin Young Gun
Throttle Mod
Freedom Performance 2-1
Roarin Toyz Intake
PCV with AutoTune
Ivanized ECU

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-10-2015, 01:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVA-Voyager View Post
Ray's throttle mod takes care of the throttle lag/delay inherent with the Vulcans
where do I find this at?

Old 09-10-2015, 04:54 PM   #18

Ray (Racnray) throttle mod info can be found by searching the forum. There are many posts about this and it's benefits and testimonials, etc.. (It's one thing I will get done to my own bike over the winter). One post I easily found can be seen here:
http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=27930
look for reply #12

Old 09-10-2015, 06:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweetys_Revenge View Post
where do I find this at?
I will send you the info via pm, keep an eye open for it. If you have ANY question call my shop 954-455-9665 florida time.

RACNRAY

Old 09-11-2015, 09:58 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
I will send you the info via pm, keep an eye open for it. If you have ANY question call my shop 954-455-9665 florida time.

RACNRAY

Ray - Do you know if this mod is needed on the 2015 Vaquero still? Picking mine up on Saturday.

If so can you pm as well, Thanks.

"Leaders Are People Who Go Their Own Way Without Looking to See if Anyone Is Following" ~ John Holt

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by JoeOuts; 09-11-2015 at 09:59 AM. Reason: update

Old 09-11-2015, 10:29 AM   #21

I have the alley kat air cleaner on my voyager, love it. Combined with the tri ovals and the Cobra 1965AT fuel processor, it works very well.
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 09-11-2015, 01:40 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeOuts View Post
Ray - Do you know if this mod is needed on the 2015 Vaquero still? Picking mine up on Saturday.

If so can you pm as well, Thanks.
As far as I know Kawi has not altered the ECU on the 2015's, and I do believe I supplied grips with my mod to an owner of a 2015 and got positive feedback from him as far as better acceleration and throttle control. I send enuff of these out I can't remember who it was.

RACNRAY

Old 09-11-2015, 05:59 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweetys_Revenge View Post
Just got a 2015 Vaquero what is RacnRays throttle mod???
What MVA-Voyager said. You send Ray your throttle grip (factory or after market). Ray does his magic and shoots it back to you very quickly.
The mod takes the lag out of the throttle by wire, providing a more responsive throttle.

If you are thinking about new grips, send the the throttle grip to RacnRay before installing. Or, Ray also sells some grips...
If you have after marker grips and want them to be mod'd, but don't want down time. PM me, I'll 'loan' you my stocker for the price of shipping...

Yes, I too have the RacnRay throttle mod!

Ride safe,
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Old 09-14-2015, 12:12 PM   #24
Advanced Member

I have the Roaring Toyz air kit on my Vaquero and it looks good, works well and is real easy to service. I have in combo with the air the Freedom Performance 2-1 Combat pipe with the Cobra FI2000R tri-pot fuel processor and got everything tuned in and working real well. And yes, once you get your motor to breathe better and get proper fuel and air settings correct, you are off to the races. My buddies and their 103 Harleys always hate me the way I thunder out of the hole and leave em.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Old 09-14-2015, 05:50 PM   #25

after installing the big 3 how is the fuel consumption ?

Old 09-14-2015, 06:11 PM   #26
Top Contributor

My experience was fuel consumption was no different before or after the mods.
Mileage did go up slightly but that might have been because the motor was loosening up. I did notice a difference between 5,000 to 10,000 kms. The motor ran better and cooler.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:26 PM   #27

did some tweakin to the PCV after I installed the new intake (NOT a roaring toyz) which did not initially perform as well as my own design that I had for bout 4 years. Didn't seem to help and mpg suffered bad. I made a few further mods to the intake, the last mod seemed to take the performance up a notch and a smoother runnin engine. After the second day of last weekends 3 day Labor day rides and sufferin thru continued disappointment in the mpg, I spent some time makin a new map based on all the above.

As soon as I got on the road Monday mornin I could feel the improvement in performance. We filled up and that first tank of gas netted 47.3 mpg with the display showing 48.8. I filled that tank with 181.4 GPS miles and it took 3.835 gllns.

The next tank was even better, I filled up with 4.255 gllns after travelin 220.25 GPS miles for 51.76 MPG, the display showed 50.3 MPG.

This ride was done on a day with not much wind, moderate speeds between 40-75 mph and not much stop n go.

Got one more mod to the intake which will be tested on the dyno when I have the time. At least I got this Vaq back on track and hopefully this new intake and my mods will make as much (more please) power than my intake with as good if not better mpg without the problems I had with my design which have been takin care of.

RACNRAY

Old 09-15-2015, 04:23 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Vega View Post
Big Air Kit
Fuel Processor
Exhaust System or Slip on mufflers that are open and free flowing.
So of the big 3, is their a certain order that makes sense and causes the least issues while I wait to do the others? Thanks for all the help, you guys are awesome!!

"Leaders Are People Who Go Their Own Way Without Looking to See if Anyone Is Following" ~ John Holt

Old 09-16-2015, 08:19 AM   #29

Greetings JoeOuts,
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeOuts
So of the big 3, is their a certain order that makes sense and causes the least issues while I wait to do the others?
IMHO do all three at the same time if possible.
Air in needs to equal air out. If you do the BAK, then you should also do the pipes.
If you are going to change either pipes or air, you need to adjust the amount of fuel so you do not get into a SERIOUSLY LEAN situation. These bikes already are a little lean stock. Adding better flowing pipes or a BAK only increases the naturally LEAN condition.
If you have to do it in stages, I would do FUEL first. Then add exhaust (remap/adjust fuel), then add air...(remap/adjust). If it HAD to be done in stages.
Again, IMHO...

(When I did mine, the parts collected on the bench until I had them all. Sucked to look at money and toys sitting on the bench... :)

Ride safe,
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Last edited by smokier; 09-16-2015 at 07:32 PM.

Old 09-16-2015, 03:46 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokier View Post
Greetings JoeOuts,

IMHO do all three at the same time if possible.
Air in needs to equal air out. If you do the BAK, then you should also do the pipes.
If you are going to change wither pipes or air, you need to adjust the amount of fuel so you do not get into a SERIOUSLY LEAN situation. These bikes already are a little lean stock. Adding better flowing pipes or a BAK only increases the naturally LEAN condition.
If you have to do it in stages, I would do FUEL first. Then add exhaust (remap/adjust fuel), then add air...(remap/adjust). If it HAD to be done in stages.
Again, IMHO...

(When I did mine, the parts collected on the bench until I had them all. Sucked to look at money and toys sitting on the bench... :)

Ride safe,
Smokier
Thanks for the help, looks like I'll have to wait and save up some dough...