Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 12-02-2010, 11:55 PM   #16

Do Your Homework....don't go to jail

"However, his roommate testified that they had been sharing the Hoboken apartment since June 2008, and that he had seen the guns at the apartment in September 2008," Bewley wrote. "[Aitken's] mother testified that he had been living in Hoboken and working in New York City since June 2008. This incident occurred in January 2009."

First of all, I am a HUGE second ammendment believer. Secondly, these laws SUCK! I simply putting in the quote to point out that the Aitken's alibi doesn't exactly add up. If he was moving and had been living in NJ since June of '08, why would he be found in possession of the guns in January of '09. That being said..... SEVEN YEARS!!!!! I'd be interested to see the judges track record of sentcing gun crime violators. How many other defendants has he sentenced to less or more time who have had a criminal record.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-03-2010, 12:08 AM   #17

I have been carefully reading all of these posts, and I have a question some if you might consider dumb, but here goes anyway. Have any of you had an incident where a gun would have helped ? Don't get me wrong, I am totally for guns, concealed weapons, etc. I was just wondering if there was a reason you guys feel the need to carry one. I don't own a gun, but if there us a clear and present danger lurking out there, then I need to buy one, and get my concealed weapon permit.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:20 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankerfrank
I have been carefully reading all of these posts, and I have a question some if you might consider dumb, but here goes anyway. Have any of you had an incident where a gun would have helped ? Don't get me wrong, I am totally for guns, concealed weapons, etc. I was just wondering if there was a reason you guys feel the need to carry one. I don't own a gun, but if there us a clear and present danger lurking out there, then I need to buy one, and get my concealed weapon permit.
I don't think that's a dumb question at all. For me personally, I have found myself in many situations over the years where I was concerned for my personal safety. I have not yet had to draw my weapon (thank God) and I hope I never do, but carrying it does give a bit more peace of mind. The increase in home invasions we are seeing here on Colorado Springs makes me glad I am well armed in order to protect my family.
The bottom line is that I would rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it. Perhaps everyone doesn't need a concealed handgun permit, but it's definitely right for me.

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Old 12-03-2010, 12:47 AM   #19

Quote:
Frank, It isn't a dumb question. It's one that many citizens ask. As Daryl stated, I hope I never in my lifetime have to draw and use my weapon. But, if ever the situation arises, I know it is there and the bad guy doesn't. You know as well as I do how the crime rate has spread from the Big Easy to the surrounding cities and neighborhoods since Katrina. I just can't imagine sitting in a fast food restaurant defenseless while a BG walks in and starts shooting people eating their lunch. It happens everywhere. Just imagine it's after dark while you and Connie are walking to your vehicle after leaving a restaurant or an LSU game and you notice two or three thug looking individuals following you or standing around your vehicle. Wouldn't you feel better arriving at your vehicle knowing that you both have a much better chance of avoiding or surviving a mugging or robbery. You can't throw a rock at 1,200 feet per second and the nearest law enforcement officer may be 15 minutes away. It's a personal decision I've made and it was an easy one, for me anyway. In today's society you just never know who is walking behind or alongside of you. Much better to have it and never need it than the other way around.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 12-03-2010, 04:45 AM   #20

I think it is the responsibility of every person to defend themselves and their families. In a society where people can't just go and off themselves anymore, they have to take many people with them, it seems only prudent that a person carry a gun.

How many shooting scenarios have been reported that could have been stopped by just one person with a gun.

That being said, If you make the decision to own a gun, I would say make sure your properly trained with it. I believe if one person in a household owns a gun, the whole household is resposible for knowing proper gun safety.

My wife and I are gun owners (she used to be a firearms instructor). Our children are also responsible gun handlers. They are now 15 and 12, but they have been shooting and handling guns since a very young age. They love to go shooting and understand the destructive power of any firearm.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-03-2010, 09:11 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badbagger
I think it is the responsibility of every person to defend themselves and their families. In a society where people can't just go and off themselves anymore, they have to take many people with them, it seems only prudent that a person carry a gun.
A good valid reply and I agree with you, but as we all know some people are not responsible enough to be trusted with the possession of a gun. Even good people can panic or freeze and then the weapon is more of a danger to them rather than a benefit. With proper testing and training they should make society a safer place.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 12-03-2010, 09:46 AM   #22

Painless, ring makes a good point. Not everyone should carry a gun.
You have to ask yourself if you are real sure you could take someone Else's life if the situation arises.
If not then the gun ends up in the hands of the very person you are trying to protect yourself and your family from. Not a good situation.
If you decide to become armed PLEASE get the proper instruction and also familiarize your entire family in the correct use and handling of that firearm.
The people who carry are not paranoid as some non gun owners believe. We just like to be prepared.
When SECONDS count, the police are MINUETS away.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 12-03-2010, 10:07 AM   #23

Can't carry legally until classroom and range testing is completed satisfactorily for the examiner. Even after passing everything, they can, without your knowing, advise LSP that you shouldn't be issued a permit because of personality issues, carelessness, etc. None of us know exactly how we will react in a crisis. But you are right in saying that some aren't responsible enough to carry.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 12-03-2010, 11:27 AM   #24

Quote:
I didn't get a CC until I started riding again. The reason why?? We ride more often than not in desolate areas where you are pretty much left to your own defence. I rarely carry in a vehicle although it's legal in Nevada (no CC Req.). When in a vehicle I have a 5000+ lb. bullet wrapped around me which leaves me allot more options than sitting out in the open on a bike.

What it comes down to, I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. And no, I have never had to draw.

As I stated in previous posts I'm not going to "John Wayne" my way into a situation unless a life is at stake.

Oldest Saloon In Nevada
http://www.pioneersaloon.info/

"Sin City Stan"
Henderson, NV
VBA #01004
VROC #29365
2004 Nomad 1500L5 +100 "The Bike"
2009 Nomad 1700 (past)
2004 Vulcan Classic 800 (past)
2010 Cortez - 2011 Crescent City - 2012 Kanab - 2013 Estes Park

Old 12-03-2010, 11:49 AM   #25
Top Contributor

Quote:
Painless, depends upon the area that I am in. Twice while in a pickup, I have had some yahoo's pestering me. There had also been reports in areas that I drive to every blue moon about issues with punks.

Well, those two times I have slapped the pistol on the dash of the pickup and the punks have left immediately. Just showing that you are armed is most of the time enough to scare the idiots off.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 12-03-2010, 11:49 AM   #26

You guys are missing Painless' question. He asked, "Have any of you had an incident where a gun would have helped ?"

So, has anyone?

Old 12-03-2010, 01:27 PM   #27

It sounds like it was worth having for waterman. Usually just the sight of a gun will make an instigator back off.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 12-03-2010, 01:39 PM   #28

A right unexercised is a right lost. I want to always have the right to own a gun, to protect myself and my family. I believe that if we ignore these right and don't exercise them, the government will take them away from us.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 12-03-2010, 02:20 PM   #29

Never had to show my weapon hope I never do. Never used a fire extinguisher in my own house but they are there. I see them as another life line.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:04 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
You guys are missing Painless' question. He asked, "Have any of you had an incident where a gun would have helped ?"

So, has anyone?
If you read a little further down in his Post he asked.
I was just wondering if there was a reason you guys feel the need to carry one.

Cindy and I like to ride on back and secondary roads. Being armed helps me mentally knowing I at least have a chance of protecting her and myself. So yes, I have been in incidents where a gun helps me. As I stated earlier. not paranoid just prepared.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]