Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 03-17-2015, 12:25 PM   #16

Ya! good to see you back mac...

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-17-2015, 12:30 PM   #17
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
Yamaha was the worst in my experiences... not sure what their deal is. Never had a Honda with an electrical charging issue... YET. Had & have a few of em' both. Not with this Kawi tank yet either.(my first Kaw...) But at the end of this past summer, on my way to put it up for winter, I stopped at a few yard sales and when I hit the starter button it clicked, once, hit it again and the speedometer pegged and the clock and mileage tripmeter went out and reset... so by watching the posts on here through the winter, I am figuring on needing a battery here in the spring.
That's classic for a Kawi to want a new battery. A test you can do is set up a volt meter at the battery, and then take a reading. If the batt was just on a charger you won't see a real reading. That's a surface charge and not real. But turn on the key so the hi beam comes on. probably have to bump the start button.

Then count down in seconds with a watch to 10 and read the volts again. If that is less than 10.5 it;s real close to battery time. This is a make shift but easy to do load test on a small battery rated in Ah.

I had to replace mine 2 years ago I think, but the nad is a 06.. I liked that battery so well i bought another just like it.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 03-17-2015, 12:48 PM   #18

Thanks mac. Great tip. I'm figuring on that is what's to come of it... and Yausa brand for you? I tend to go for the Odyssey gel. But I think I read on here that these machines don't like those and I wonder why. ?. I could not even tell you what's in it now I've never even looked at it... Its lasted 3 years so far that I've had It - always on a tender for any length of time over a week.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:54 PM   #19
Sr. Contributor

I think it was this one : YTX20CH-BS AGM Maintenance Free Battery

from here
http://www.batterymart.com/p-YTX20CH...e-Battery.html

Not sure the link will take you directly to that battery. The info said it needed to have acid installed but there was no packet. I called and said WTF ? I like this battery well.

There is nothing wrong with Odyssey either. I believe you will find the Odyssey line costs more, and this one i bought will last 5+ years maybe more.

On edit: The link does take to that battery. My bike is in an enclosed trailer and there is no way I am digging snow to rip the seat off in there to be 100% sure. I am 99.999 % sure. And I don't know what Nad you have. Mine is a 1600, and so if yours is that is a good batt to consider.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Last edited by macmac; 03-17-2015 at 12:57 PM.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:14 PM   #20

OH. C'mon! You kids only have like a couple feet of snow up there... geezzzzz
I'm good, I believ ya. Not so sure they even make an Odyssey for this tub yet. Will probably be the same as you have.
And you're right, some don't ship acid for the battery anymore FOR FREE! I found that out in the fall when I bought a battery for my 4 wheeler to plow with. The same knee jerk "WTF" !
(Just for the sake of keeping this thread on track), = I'll probably be hacking wires and cutting connectors because I have to hardwire my driving lights that I put on last summer + I need some accessory power outlets towards the front and rear... gonna try for a fairing this year.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by OU812; 03-17-2015 at 03:17 PM.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:27 PM   #21
Sr. Contributor

Yeah well with a couple feet of the white stuff, my wife seeing a fisher cat run across the back doah' yad, we still needed snow shoes a little while ago, to track it about a mile. it is very possible to post hole up to christmas ornaments if you catch the drift.

Uh, the battery was ready to rock out of the box, and i tested it, then installed took a ride for a while and set it on the shumaker charger it's on when ever i am parked at home and not riding. I don;t think I could add anything to that batt. It appears to be sealed.

I used a little bit longer 6mm bolt at the batt and snuck in 2 connectors there. One is the pig tail for the charger which for 78 cents at NAPA I got 2 more opposite connectors and used one to a socket that can charge a cell or run a compressor. The other is inline fused to a switch just under my seat on the left for my passing lamps I always forget to turn off. But I like light parking with no engine running. That helps getting road kill, and I can stay quiet at night. In my ladies black leather hand bag with the calculator and mirror, that i got at walley world for 6 bucks there is one of the white / blue 10 amp acc wires, jagged off a ciggy butt lighter socket that has a ciggy butt lighter socket voltmeter ON even now. That socket can be used to charge the bike batt when the bike is towed in the trailer. So far that happened rarely on the 01 1500 I had from Arkansas to W.Va where that bike got stolen. ( made up a 2 male adapter, and added a female adapter to the light in the trailer.) Electricity is my friend

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 03-17-2015, 10:01 PM   #22

That same battery worked in my 99.

DC

PS welcome back Mac good to see you again.

VBA/KawaNOW #01625
Christian Motorcyclists Assoc.
Wheels Of Destiny Chapter #735
PA Wilds NE/Eastern Canada regional rally July 2012
Eureka Springs National 2015
Rolling Thunder Washington DC 2016
NE US / E Canada Rally - Mont Tremblant, QC 2016
VRA Eastern National at Maggie Valley 2017
99 Nomad G1 gone but never forgotten traded 4/8/17 for a 2017 Indian Roadmaster

Last edited by minst7877; 03-17-2015 at 10:04 PM.

Old 03-18-2015, 04:39 AM   #23

I believe I had seen that '99 - '08 batterys are the same through those years & that was as far as I looked beings mine is an '08.
As far as the access. add ons Mac, I'm thinkin' about some sorta "power block" under there once I*get in there & see how much room I have. I like elec. TOO! I stuck a few of those little 6 bulb bendable led strips from Wallyworld in the tops of my bags so I could see what kinda beers I'm grabbin in the dark on the side of the road, and they are switced-wired into my tail harness. Don't like that. If my tail light ever goes out, I could grad the wrong brewsky... + the key has to be on fors there to be juice... work to do...

Last edited by OU812; 03-18-2015 at 04:41 AM.