Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 07-22-2009, 12:06 PM   #16
Mega-Contributor

Tired of my lean mean machine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian ("Itinerant Man")
Does having an exposed air filter cause any problems in the rain? Would keeping the stock dog bowl and replacing stock air filter with a K&N still increase performance...I hear mixed reviews about this.
Doing anything to the left side will have minimum benefit because of the crossover tube. If you want to increase air flow, you need to do it on the right side. Open up that intake and let her breathe.

No problems with exposed air filter and rain. A little moisture through the intake turns to steam in the combustion chamber and will clean the carbon off the piston and head. As was mentioned, you wouldn't be riding in the kind of rain it would take to drown your intake.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-22-2009, 12:14 PM   #17
Mega-Contributor

Since you're new here, here's what my 7" intake looks like:

and I modified the left side to match (non-functional) because I didn't want to remove the crossover tube, destroying it in the process:

This is just one option. Some people have done the 7" backing plate and used the stock dog dish. I'm not sure anyone here has done that, but I know I saw it on the Delphi Vulcan Forum.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 07-22-2009, 12:54 PM   #18

I like the idea of doing the 7" filter on both sides. I also like the chrome K&N cover that you have. I am thinking about doing the 8.5" filter, but cannot find the chrome cover in either 7" or 8.5". Can you provide specs on where you got yours?

Also, Gadget recommends doing the TFI at the same time you make an air intake mode, which is fine, but all of the recommended settings assume that you have aftermarket exhaust as well.

Thanks,

Brian.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:53 PM   #19
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian ("Itinerant Man")
I like the idea of doing the 7" filter on both sides. I also like the chrome K&N cover that you have. I am thinking about doing the 8.5" filter, but cannot find the chrome cover in either 7" or 8.5". Can you provide specs on where you got yours?

Also, Gadget recommends doing the TFI at the same time you make an air intake mode, which is fine, but all of the recommended settings assume that you have aftermarket exhaust as well.

Thanks,

Brian.
It's the K&N 60-1320 http://filtersandintakes.com/catalog...oducts_id=1619

The description on the page is wrong, it is a 2" high filter, not a 3". I paid about $15 less than the listed price. The price must have increased sometime after I ordered them.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 07-22-2009, 06:09 PM   #20
Sr. Contributor

I live in the east wet coast right smack in New Hampster. If you don't ride in rain here, you simply don't ride.

I have been on I-93 in rain so heavey that I was doing 70 MPH in water on the interstate 4 inches deep, and flowing across the high way.

I go that fast in rain on the interstate to stay dry. All other bikes will be pulled over, but not me, because i don't like getting wet.

The paper filter won't care a bit other than turn gray just about the time you need another one.

Water is in the air we breath and we don't drown... Water is in the air the engine breaths too, even when it isn't raining.

That water becomes a part of the fuel in a way. All air filters get wet whether or not they are covered.

Some do stay pretty looking longer than others once wet, but I run a fliter for about a season. Here that is April to Dec..

In April or when ever the Spring monsoons are over I get another filter. That ends as apx 10,000 miles, which i might not get this year because there is some what more work.. (less time to play)

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-22-2009, 07:01 PM   #21

On the way to Custer, in Custer and coming from Custer I ran over 400 miles in the hard rain with an open filter and had no problems with it.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:27 PM   #22

Brian,
You can do the 7" filter on the right side and leave the other side alone. The bike will for sure perform better! If you want come'on over and we can do some work to your Nomad.

Cheers
chuckster1_31@comcast.net
2010 Voyager (Blue/Silver)sold
2001 Nomad (gone, but not forgotten)

www.chucksterscustoms.com

Old 07-22-2009, 07:33 PM   #23
Sr. Contributor

Now that's an offer I wouldn't refuse. I don't know Chuckster from Adam, but I have seen a smidgen of his work, and can find no flaw.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 07-22-2009, 08:59 PM   #24

If memory serves, I believe I saw a thread here a while back where Harley mufflers were a simple bolt-on to our Nomad headers. Someone suggested a little "dumpster diving for discarded, but practicly new HD mufflers or shop around for someone who just put on a pair of reinharts and doesn't know what to do with the left over set. This may give you cheap mufflers with lower restriction.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:32 AM   #25

Chuckster,

I really appreciate the offer. I will be sending you an email shortly from my work (US Army) email.

Thanks,

Brian

Old 07-23-2009, 07:56 AM   #26
Advanced Member

Brian and I both have a 'cone' K&N open filter (just clamps onto the plate we made and sticks out somewhat like a Thunder air kit) on our Nads and have ridden in rain for days with no problems. We have a tendency to cover the open filter if we are standing in the pouring rain, just in case, but riding in the rain is no problem. We did buy the fancy dancy, little pricey cover for both filters and used them for awhile but found that they got real dirty, real fast so we quit using them.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:50 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmjr77
Question?:
If you use Chucksters plate, Can you use a 7" filter and the original dog bowl on the right(throttle) side?
I don't want to do anything to the left side and would like to keep the look the same on both sides.
Yes, you can and this is how it looks.

Joe makes a 7" plate with the mounting hole a little lower than the one used with the open filter.
I'll let him jump in here and explain what he has to offer.

One word of caution though, if you go this route, you need a strong piece of "metal" on the outside, under the dog bowl to get a good seal.
The first one I did lasted about 2,000 miles, then the bolt broke (caused by vibration) right at the nut on the outside of the 7" throttle plate. Dog bowl, filter went flying off to parts unknown. Did find the filter, but dog bowl and outer metal plate were last seen heading South!
I used another blank plate from Joe, used a grade 8 full threaded bolt through a 5/16" coupler to secure.

The way I have it mounted now gives a little over 1/4" clearance between dog bowl and gas tank.

The extra piece of aluminum at the bottom is just to keep the dog bowl perpendicular.

The unit is now a lot stronger and hopefully no more problems.

Dick Campbell
Blairsville, GA
2008 Red & Black Nomad 1600
(retired)
2009 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner (retired)
2013 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner
2018 CanAm RT Limited Spyder (Sold)
2014 Goldwing Roadsmith Red Trike (Sold)
2019 Goldwing DCT Roadsmith Copper & Black Trike

VBA #243
Darkside #115
Patriot Guard Rider
American Legion Rider

Old 07-26-2009, 01:54 PM   #28
Top Contributor

And if that don't give you enough GO, then think TURBO!

Old 07-26-2009, 04:32 PM   #29
Sr. Contributor

A Turbo with out an intercooler is asking for problems. And then it is a good idea to have ceramic piston tops, forged pistons, and exhaust valves and still they go to lunch..

As if that ain't enough then the rev limiters is something you would bounce off of, and that's no fun either.

It works a day and then you need a engine over haul. We don't have chrome lined cylider bores either, which would help.

A Nomad is just a poor choice for a turbo IMO....

Maybe make it a bottle baby, but then ya gotta go get a saddle bag full of em....

And last I just wonder if the punch that was sought out was punched in 4th gear over drive and ot 5th gear over drive????

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 07-26-2009, 05:38 PM   #30

Cactus Jack, I really like the looks of your K&N kit.
Chuckster, What is the cost of the 7" plate and what else is needed to do this mod?

I hear people talking about removing ICS because of the ticking noise. Is this really necessary? What is the downside to removing? Can they fit in with this 7" mod?
2008 Red/Black Nomad - Traded at 29500 miles