Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 04-03-2010, 08:49 AM   #16

Anyway to go with a Keyless Gas Cap?

As long as you are not worried or paranoid just get another key made and leave one in the ignition all the time and one in the gas cap all the time.
Then change your screen name to MR. Trusting.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-03-2010, 10:17 AM   #17

Because like my first thread asked: "Has anyone figured out a way to open the gas cap without using a key"?[ This thread isn't anything about being worried or paranoid, it's about finding a solution to figuring out a way to open the gas cap without a using the key. If you don't have a constructive idea to my question, move on to the next thread...Those who have constructively contributed, I appreciate it, thanks, Jody

Old 04-03-2010, 11:00 AM   #18

I always pull the key from the ignition to keep my key chain from rattling on the dash. As far as rocks in the tank it happens. Some kids put a bunch of rocks in the tank of a 64 XL rag top I once owned. And a friends 57 Chevy suffered the same attack in a different city.
VBA #656
Black 2007 1600 Nomad

Old 04-03-2010, 12:02 PM   #19

Thanks macmac, cactusjack, REFUGIO, Utah Motorcyclist, and KenBob for your statements, they are greatly appreciated. I live in a small town in South Dakota with a population of 616, so I'm more concerned about a solution and you've contributed with thought provoking statements, and for that I thank you, Jody

Old 04-03-2010, 07:46 PM   #20
Sr. Contributor

I live in Hell's Bump New Hampster, leave keys in cars, the house is never locked, ect ect..

If anyone comes here to take, they better run faster than my .308 can fly, if not they will die tired.

Yup I knew wasting a key and leaving it with a pretty knob of choice should work, so long as a dob of goo holds it there temp like. I am not sure how to goo it there temp like, since it could still work the saddlebags.

These days I like locked bags for legal reasons to keep both crooks and cops out of my bee's wax. I am having a hard time telling the difference between these two types.

Whats locked in my bags is my bee's wax, and with no warrent no one gets in them and tells about it later. I do just carry a gun, not a big deal.

My 1981 Liberty bike has a OEM locking gas cap too.... Just the way they came...

I am willing to bet bikes before 75 and that Nixon gas crunch were key-less, but after that time all bike had locking caps.

To me there is just tooo many loose wacko's around doing chit they don't even know they are doing.. like talking on a cell on instant and wondering why they are 25 feet below street level the next, saying ouch.

Last summer a couple from the city somewhere ran thru here like the devil was on em. I yelled as they ran 'whats wrong?' Still running they screeched 'bear!'

I just went back to work. ::)

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-03-2010, 09:31 PM   #21
Top Contributor

I think a half key might be the easiest solution. Only the first half of the key opens the gas cap and bags. It could be made into a knob sort of thing that you could leave in the cap. That might not work though since it might fall out while riding.

Maybe the cap could be taken apart and you could remove the lockset. I'm thinking maybe some sort of gadjet could be fabricated to take the place of the lockset which would cam open the latching lugs when turned. Just brainstorming here, don't know if it would work.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 04-03-2010, 09:32 PM   #22

Mac, I had a 2005 FXD Harley that I bought new and put over 32,000 miles on, that I just sold last month in order to get my nomad. I guess I was fortunate or spoiled because it never had a locking cap and I could always leave the key in the ignition, unless I was in Rapid City or Sturgis, then I would take the key out. This nomad is sure different (in a positive way) than my Harley and I plan on riding it out to Mt. St. Helens this summer. I am still going to attempt to figure out how to open the lid without a key, just for the convenience of it. Thanks again for the reply Mac, Jody
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
I live in Hell's Bump New Hampster, leave keys in cars, the house is never locked, ect ect..

If anyone comes here to take, they better run faster than my .308 can fly, if not they will die tired.

Yup I knew wasting a key and leaving it with a pretty knob of choice should work, so long as a dob of goo holds it there temp like. I am not sure how to goo it there temp like, since it could still work the saddlebags.

These days I like locked bags for legal reasons to keep both crooks and cops out of my bee's wax. I am having a hard time telling the difference between these two types.

Whats locked in my bags is my bee's wax, and with no warrent no one gets in them and tells about it later. I do just carry a gun, not a big deal.

My 1981 Liberty bike has a OEM locking gas cap too.... Just the way they came...

I am willing to bet bikes before 75 and that Nixon gas crunch were key-less, but after that time all bike had locking caps.

To me there is just tooo many loose wacko's around doing chit they don't even know they are doing.. like talking on a cell on instant and wondering why they are 25 feet below street level the next, saying ouch.

Last summer a couple from the city somewhere ran thru here like the devil was on em. I yelled as they ran 'whats wrong?' Still running they screeched 'bear!'

I just went back to work. ::)

Old 04-04-2010, 04:34 PM   #23

I don't know about you all, but after I put the key in the gas cap, I have to also press on the cap to get the key to turn and unlock the cap. It seems like it would be difficult to make the cap keyless. Also there is a remote chance that the cap might fall off the tank when you dump the bike, of course that never happened to me...... ha ha. BnG

Dave Mills AKA BiscuitsNGravy
2006 Vulcan Nomad "BiscuitsNGravy"
Kawanow #150
Vietnam @ Jan67-Jan68
Retired USAF
Patriot Guard Riders/American Legion #431

Old 04-04-2010, 05:15 PM   #24

dont know if there are any others on here but my ignition key doesnt open my gas cap my bag key does.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:22 PM   #25

I think it's not a bad idea really. What's the harm. Get the key cut, cut off the top part and expoxy on some funky knob.

Hammer aka CrocHammer
KawaNow#00988, VROC#26389, VR#2202
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad

Old 04-05-2010, 12:34 AM   #26

Yellow Jacket - when you said "maybe the cap could be taken apart and you could remove the lockset". That's kind of what I was thinking too.
BNG - You're right about pressing the cap down to get the key to turn, so perhaps something like this would work. http://www.baronscustom.com/catalog/...653/index.html
Medicaldawg - When you said that your ignition key doesn't open your gas cap, but your bag key does, I thought they were all one and the same? I had a couple of keys made at the lock smith in Rapid City and both of them fit all three, the bags, ignition and the gas cap...hmm, I wonder if this is isolated or is it normal on all bikes, first time I heard of it.
Hammer - I may just end up doing what you suggested, if I can't figure out how to not use a key.
Thank you for the responses, Jody

Old 04-17-2010, 06:41 PM   #27

yep i have two diffrent keys one for bag an one for switch

Old 04-17-2010, 09:53 PM   #28
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicaldawg
I would bet a beer that the ignition switch got replaced at some point in time.

Which key works in the fork lock? The one that works in the bags or the one that works in the ignition?

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 04-17-2010, 10:35 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicaldawg
Holy Crap, can you imagine if dakota7557 owned this bike He would have a nervious breakdown having to use TWO different keys. ;)
oopps, I forgot, I was supposed to move on to the next thread. :-[
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 04-18-2010, 08:38 AM   #30
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota7557
Wow, very informative and thought provoking, what a great contribution to this thread. Hope you still have some brain cells left after that analysis. TC, you might want to click on the spell check button at the bottom of the page before sending the next thread.;) Ride Safe, Jody
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat (TC)

Holy Crap, can you imagine if dakota7557 owned this bike He would have a nervous breakdown having to use TWO different keys. ;)
oops, I forgot, I was supposed to move on to the next thread. :-[
Dakota, a lot of the members here like to kid each other and generally have a good time. Along with the ribbing (which has all been in good fun, not maliciously) you've gotten several ideas on how to go keyless on your gas cap. I can't understand why you need to respond the way to do to some of the jovial posts.

With that said, I'm moving on to the next post...

P.S. I ran spell check, so don't go calling the spelling or grammar cops on me