Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-31-2008, 04:13 PM   #16
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
AMSOIL

Snake oil..

Research what makes a synthethic a "synthetic" and then come back and explain thats why your using it. As beeze says if you want to run synthetics then get the best priced one out there. Usually Rotella 5/40. Resistance to heat or thermo-breakdown resistance. Period, exclaimation point. Fat lady has already sung.

Tell me about "dis stuff is da slipperististis stuff on the market" " "extra 4 ball wear tested" yada yada and you just might as well dump Slick 50 in your bike. Oil is oil and sythetics are a "designer" chain molecule oil. Still dino oil. A little better in extreme high heat. Thats about it.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-31-2008, 04:31 PM   #17

AMSOIL

Bear
Studies have shown the engine to run cooler. You can get an aftermarket dipstick with a temp guage on it to see for yourself. Don't know if they make them for our bikes, but I've read about them on other forums.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:53 PM   #18

AMSOIL

Well, I know my transmission works better, and I know the consumption is better. So snake oil or not I'll stick with the Amsoil. But I have a question, what do you have against it BD. You seem pretty adamant in your anti syn statement.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:59 PM   #19
Top Contributor

AMSOIL

Quote:
Well, I know my transmission works better, and I know the consumption is better. So snake oil or not I'll stick with the Amsoil. But I have a question, what do you have against it BD. You seem pretty adamant in your anti syn statement.
I just can't talk to him when he gets like this

Old 03-31-2008, 05:07 PM   #20
Sr. Contributor

AMSOIL

Synthetic is not made from dino petroleum.

Quote:
Snake oil..

Research what makes a synthethic a "synthetic" and then come back and explain thats why your using it. As beeze says if you want to run synthetics then get the best priced one out there. Usually Rotella 5/40. Resistance to heat or thermo-breakdown resistance. Period, exclaimation point. Fat lady has already sung.

Tell me about "dis stuff is da slipperististis stuff on the market" " "extra 4 ball wear tested" yada yada and you just might as well dump Slick 50 in your bike. Oil is oil and sythetics are a "designer" chain molecule oil. Still dino oil. A little better in extreme high heat. Thats about it.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-31-2008, 05:29 PM   #21
Top Contributor

AMSOIL

whewwwww......now we're talking sense again

Old 03-31-2008, 05:47 PM   #22
Top Contributor

AMSOIL

Quote:
Snake oil..

BD,

I don't know why you think that it is snake oil. I have seen plenty of snake oils. I was putting plenty of miles on the truck and it seemed like I was changing oil all the time. I put synthetic in for the extended miles between drains. However, one day when it was close to -30F, I started the truck up and watched the oil pressure. With normal dino oil, the pressure would hit the roof and then come down when it warmed a little. The synthetic, pressure went to slightly lower than normal operating pressure and increased as it warmed. To me, that sold me on better cold flow properties. The oil acted like it should, lower viscosity at cold temps and higher at warmer temps.

A couple of gent's on another forum are adamant about testing oils. They have tried different oils (synthetic and dino) and have an analysis run with new and used oil. Their data is showing that synthetics will last longer and hold their viscosity better than dino.

If you think that dino is just as good as synthetic, go ahead and use dino.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 03-31-2008, 05:57 PM   #23
Top Contributor

AMSOIL

Rich Lochyear has a great table on how well different synthetics hold up at different temperatures and different mileage increments. The top contenders were Amzoil and Mobil 1 followed by 10 - 15 others.

here's a link which I hope works

http://personal.linkline.com/rlockyer/oil/oil.xls

Old 03-31-2008, 06:41 PM   #24
Sr. Contributor

AMSOIL

I'm not against Amsoil. It's a marketeers dream product. I'm against the outrageous price they charge like slicke 50 did and now they can't give slick 50 away in WalMart. Slick 50 used to be $49.99 a quart. Best product know to man for your engine. What happened? After it went through the "start your own Amsoil" cycle it went to infomercials and now on the shelf cheap.

If any oil and I mean any oil did what some of these suppliers claim to do, every auto manufacturer would put that oil in their automobiles and probably reduce oil related engine problems many times over and make a fortune saving on warrenty work or they could advertise longer engine warranties. A great marketing angle! They're not doing that. For a darn good reason. There's not significant difference in the oil.

I do run synthetics in mine and have since the 100 mile point. I'm not against synthetics, I'm against the hype that drives outrageous prices that do not pan out in the open market to be anything special.

I run Mobil 1 and or Rotella. I buy it at the cheapest price I can find it. I make no claim that it "outperforms" or state my transmission "works better". Whatever that means. Funny thing is, is that most bikes seems to shift better and sound quieter right after an oil change?

I just gave an opinion that nobody is going to produce evidence that any synthetic oil is going to "out perform" any other oil by any real word measureable difference. The price some of these manufactures charge is hysterical.

Ponce, since you stated I was wrong on the oil base, how come the price of synthetics has risen faster than conventional oils have risen in the face of $100 a barrel for dino crude? It should have stayed the same right??

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

Member # 0005

Old 03-31-2008, 06:47 PM   #25
Top Contributor

AMSOIL

this is real world BD http://personal.linkline.com/rlockyer/oil/oil.xls

Old 03-31-2008, 06:50 PM   #26
Sr. Contributor

AMSOIL

belly up to the bar and open the tab!!

Rich lives about 20 minutes from here. Ask him if he's a Amsoil dealer or ever was one...

An excel spread sheet... how convincing!!

Member # 0005

Old 03-31-2008, 07:10 PM   #27
Top Contributor

AMSOIL

find out where he drinks and come back with some insight

Old 03-31-2008, 07:17 PM   #28
Sr. Contributor

AMSOIL

I'm sorry, I have a golden calf to pray to at the moment....

Member # 0005

Old 03-31-2008, 07:23 PM   #29
Top Contributor

AMSOIL

man, you get gretzy after not seeing Nico for a week

Old 03-31-2008, 07:26 PM   #30

AMSOIL

What's that I smell burning?

I use Mobil-1 myself, and I get it at Walmart which is the cheapest place I've found.
I like it primarily for three reasons: (1) the engine is easier to start in cold temps because it doesn't thicken up (2) I ride a severe duty cycle and often in very hot weather, which is hard on the oil and everything else. The Mobil-1 does hold up better. And (3) it doesn't go stale in the cars I don't drive much. That's saves me oil changes. Otherwise it gets changed each 2500~3000 miles because it's dirty by then, but not because it's worn out. Just changing the filter and running it some more is not good enough for the motorcycle IMO. It has to serve as gear oil there, and that is severe duty for 15w-50.

Is Amsoil better? Maybe, but it's too hard to come by. If I could get it cheap at Walmart, I might try it.