Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 05-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #16
Mega-Contributor

Here's my thoughts on high mileage bikes, well used bikes in general. A lot of guys buy these bikes new and treat them as "disposable". They ride the hell out of them, do the minimal maintenance, then dump them either when the warranty runs out or at some mileage point. Then they buy another and repeat. There are a lot of Vulcan owners out there who are not aware of forums like this and are not aware of many of the issues that we have known about for years. Things like cam chain extenders, lack of grease in the swingarm bearings and so on. I don't buy used bikes, but if I did I would want to see maintenance records and receipts showing proper and timely maintenance for the life of the bike and would buy only from the original owner.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #17

I am with Schooney and a couple others, in that a 6 or 7 year old bike that appears in excellent condition with 40-50,000 miles purchased from the original owner who has excellent maint records is going to be a better purchase than a 2,000 mile 10 year old bike. That bike has 10 years of neglect even tho you can't see it because the low miles. Sometimes you get lucky but you pay for the low miles and you get little in return. 2 years later you just have an old bike and the low mills are gone. With normal maint and reasonable use virtually any current motorcycle is good for well past 100,000 miles.

But I also agree with CJ, if you are looking at a 8 year old bike with 40K on it and the guy selling it is the 3rd or 4th owner and bought it 8 months ago, that should raise red flags and send you looking at other bikes.
2010 Titanium Goldwing
2014 KLR 650 New Edition

Old 05-06-2013, 11:22 AM   #18

Another question, why do people call 5 year old motorcycles with 40,000 miles on them HIGH MILEAGE bikes? If a bike is a year old and has 21,000 miles or 5 years old and has 115,000 miles that is high mileage. Normal use of touring bikes even for those guys that live in the north is 6-8,000 miles a season. A 5 or 6 year old bike with 40,000 miles on it is NORMAL! Whats abnormal and should set off flags for prospective buyers is ABNORMAL MILEAGE. A five year old bike with 5,000 or 125,000 miles should worry you more than one with 45,000.
Again,unless the bike shows abuse and then you shouldn't give a dam about the miles cause you don't want that bike.
2010 Titanium Goldwing
2014 KLR 650 New Edition

Old 05-06-2013, 12:36 PM   #19
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Quote:
Originally Posted by trosco View Post
Another question, why do people call 5 year old motorcycles with 40,000 miles on them HIGH MILEAGE bikes? .
Same reason Scott in his 50's looks like a high mileage guy???

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 05-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmac View Post
My thought is on high mileage bikes is, I don't want one. There are plenty of low or reasonable mileage bikes around so that we don't have to settle for one that may or may not have been taken care of.

My experience has been that many high mileage bikes have worn parts. Warn swing arms and shocks come to mind. I don't particularly care to pay to repair for miles someone else put on the bike. I bought a 2006 Nomad in 2010 with 2,000 miles on it for $6k. It has been a great bike and has 16k miles now.

I am with Bill. In 2010 I bought my 07 with less than 2,000 miles for $7K.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #21

To me, high mileage means a vehicle has more mileage the most vehicles of the same year. I don't care what somebody else thinks high mileage is. And it sure doesn't upset me if someone wants to buy or sell a high mileage vehicle. To each their own.

If a person is in doubt about the value of mileage, just talk to a salesperson or go shopping. Mileage and year model is what it is all about.

I have rarely found value in high mileage vehicles. Now I prefer to buy a one to three year old one owner vehicle with low mileage at a greatly reduced price from new. If that is not easily possible, I just buy new.