Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-18-2014, 08:03 PM   #16
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_law23 View Post
I order tires from Revzilla.com, always much cheaper than the stores. Getting my front changed out at Iron Pony wasn't too bad but they want $80!!!! to replace the rear. Think I'll be going elsewhere.
Is that on the bike? That isn't bad really. And howdy neighbor!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-18-2014, 08:12 PM   #17
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonik View Post
So for my own pending tire change and to help clarify....just dropping the shocks gave you enough play in the belt to get the wheel off? And when it all went back together the belt was back in adjustment? That would be nifty.
I don't think it's that simple. If you remove the rear wheel, you'll have to retension the belt again upon installation.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 03-18-2014, 08:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonik View Post
So for my own pending tire change and to help clarify....just dropping the shocks gave you enough play in the belt to get the wheel off? And when it all went back together the belt was back in adjustment? That would be nifty.
Umm, you need to pull the axle to get the wheel off. The axle is through the adjusters, which means there is no way to avoid re-adjusting the tension on the belt. What I always do on chain/belt drives is to mark the spots on both sides of the swing arm before removing the wheel. That gives a pretty good starting point when going together.

Yoda
VBA #01311
SCRC Chapter 289
07 Nomad

Old 03-18-2014, 09:31 PM   #19

Just had my front tire changed today at a local shop. He charged $ 65.00 plus tax. Bought the front Michelin Commander II at Chaparral Motorsports for about $120.00. 8900 miles on the front with only 4500 miles on the back for the stock Bridgestone's . I have Commander II's now on , so we will see how much the back tire goes. Already has about 4400 miles on it and looks extremely fine. I think the riders here on this forum are right about this tire being the wisest selection for VV and Vaqueros.
VBA #02358

Old 03-18-2014, 10:29 PM   #20
Advanced Member

Thank you Yoda and Jack. I figured it would need adjusting, but it was worth a try. :) Not a big deal, I have done all of that many times. Did my neighbor's 900 Custom last year, no problem at all. Just have not tore into this bike much yet. Got it at the end of the season last year. Got one trip in on it before the snow flew. It just finally melted this week.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-20-2014, 09:50 AM   #21

I just bought a set of Commander II's from http://www.americanmototire.com/, (180/65B-16M/C 81 Rear and 130/90-16M/C 73H Front) for $287.55 out the door with free shipping. This was the best price online I was able to find.

I also bought the harbor freight 1500# lift and ordered the front axle tool & belt tension tool on Amazon. Hopefully I am all set for the wheel removal's now........

Another question: When you take the wheel to the shop, do you guys remove the brake rotors & belt pulley from the wheels first or just leave them on?

Old 03-20-2014, 10:21 AM   #22

I leave them on. They don't interfere with my guys tire machine.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"