Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 09-17-2014, 01:32 PM   #16
Top Contributor

No problem on my Vaquero till now.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-29-2014, 11:48 AM   #17

Check for warpped rotors

Old 10-01-2014, 05:47 PM   #18

Your dealer can oder shims for the front brake rotors. Did my vaquero with 15000 miles on it. Noise stop

Old 02-24-2015, 11:18 AM   #19

Waving front brakes sound

my 2013 Vulcan vaquero 1700 does the same thing has rubbing sound on right front brake only when i turn right or sway back and forth while riding , also going down the road at 35 to 40 mph I notice if i try to ride no handed for a second the handle bars wobbles back and forth rapidly. any ideas on this?

Old 02-24-2015, 11:30 AM   #20
Top Contributor

The handlebar wobble on the Vulcans is a very discussed issue.
Various cures for it according to the people who have had the problem.

New steering head bearings or adjustment needed, new tire needed, incorrect tire pressure or no cure found.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-24-2015, 11:44 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013black1700 View Post
my 2013 Vulcan vaquero 1700 does the same thing has rubbing sound on right front brake only when i turn right or sway back and forth while riding , also going down the road at 35 to 40 mph I notice if i try to ride no handed for a second the handle bars wobbles back and forth rapidly. any ideas on this?
I had the same experience after putting new tires on the Voyager... although it wasn't rock solid in the steering before that anyway.

New steering head bearings (All Balls tapered rollers) has entirely eliminated that problem, and I can set the cruise control and ride with finger-tips only / adjust something on the fly / whatever. It's a much more relaxed & secure ride. OEM are ball bearings, and they're nowhere near good enough for the 1700's IMHO.

I'm just back from a 1200km ride over the weekend, much of it on unpaved roads. I'm sure it would have been significantly harder (or ended in tears ) with the steering as loose and lacking in feedback as it was previously.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 04-16-2015, 01:45 AM   #22

Front Brake Noise

Hello, Fellow Vaquero riders, I also own a 2012 and I used to encounter this issues ever since I got my bike. I also have a friend who also rides another Vaquero which actually does the same thing. Recently, I replaced both tires on my bike, the O.E.M. Bridgestone tire were due for replacement at 5,700 mile mark basically the rear tire was due but I decided to go with a new set. I end up getting Bridgestones Excedra Max since we don't have many options but to my surprise the bussing noice and slight vibration coming from the front brake is gone and the bike seems to stop a lot better too!!!

Old 04-18-2015, 11:04 AM   #23
Advanced Member

I get a little moaning and vibe on my 2012 Vaquero with the front brakes when it is almost a complete stop. I think it is the pads because everything else checked out as they should be. I might try installing some metal sintered pads on the next set and see if that makes a difference or just a good ol' set of organic ones.