Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 11-03-2014, 05:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad ryder View Post
Yep, spark plug tube shows the beginnings of cam chain contact. Chucksters!
What did you use as a tool to remove the plug tubes?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'05 1600CL. Originator 18" Harley wheel mod, Dobeck TFI, True Duals, Mutazu hardbags, Flanders handlebars n' a bunch more.
Sometimes I miss the good ol' days but most times I'm just glad I survived them

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-03-2014, 05:23 PM   #17

Run some of that new Gumout Multi-System Tune-up stuff through the gas. It will clean the entire fuel system and intake, as well as clean out the carbon from the combustion chamber.

http://gumoutproveit.com/compare
Cobra Scalloped Slip-ons

Thunder Mfg. Intake Gasket
DEI Titanium exhaust header wrap
Corbin heated seat.
Polk Audio db521 speakers
Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 with Mobil 1 M1-110 filter
Kuryakyn Longhorn Offset Dually Highway Pegs
Chrome passenger running board covers
All new fluids and lube.

Old 11-04-2014, 12:43 PM   #18

I used an M18x2-1/2" bolt and two nuts. The bolt head needed just a little filing down on all faces and then fit the plug tube nicely. Put on the two nuts and jam-tighten them together. Put the bolt head in the tube, (there's not much to grab there), hold the bolt in place and turn the inner nut. One thing; if the metal is cold to the touch, warm it with a hair dryer or heat gun for a bit, till it's warm. Fasteners will let go easier if they're warm.

Old 11-04-2014, 01:17 PM   #19

Bagman, If you get things checked out and don't find some significant problem that is causing your bikes lack of power and engine noise, the folks that are suggesting fuel mixture related problems are probably right. I personally agree and think that you are experiencing severe ping aka "detonation" which will rob your engine of power in the short run and destroy the engine over time if not addressed. I owned from new for 7 years and 60,000 miles a 2007 Nomad. Mine never pinged and ran strong from day one. It would consistently pull in 5th gear up to 105-110 MPH. A close friend bought a 07 Nomad with in a week of my purchase at the same dealer. It knocked, rattled and generally sound like it was coming apart on any fuel unless he was running a 93 octane fuel with a can of Moroso 104 octane booster added to the tank. We added Cobra FI2000R Fuel injection controllers to both bikes at about 6 months. I never really noticed a performance difference but it allowed me to run lower octane fuels and I appreciated that especially when I was out west and many places didn't have premium. But on his bike it was like a whole new motorcycle; quieter, smoother and more powerful, it went from being a slug that ran out of power before it reached 90 mph to being a 105-110 mph bike just like mine. He still had some ping when he tried 87 octane fuels (I didn't) but on 89 and above his bike was a whole lot better motorcycle. Not long after that I redid my intake and moved the air temp sensor and was able to remove the Cobra from my bike. I kept it incase things changed but replaced my nomad with a KLR a couple moths ago. I have the FI2000R ($239 on the Cobra website) for sale for $100 now that I don't need it so if you figure out you need one give me PM. Good luck with your problem.
2010 Titanium Goldwing
2014 KLR 650 New Edition