Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 11-02-2014, 06:42 AM   #16

Great idea, but I would think that after many miles of vibration and the torque on the sprocket that cracks may develop on the welds. Personally, I just wouldn't trust it. If it's lets go at high speeds,.... you're toast. JMHO

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-02-2014, 07:47 AM   #17
Sr. Contributor

I'm pretty sure Ray checks his equipment regularly, hopefully he would spot
something suspect before disaster strikes. JMHO
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 11-02-2014, 09:17 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasta View Post
Good job on that!Dont blame you for this going to be a one of a kind......looked like a lot of work!
THANX...this is just the latest (but not the last) project I have done thu the years. In fact yesterday had a customer drop off a skoot that has a background in dragracing like me. He wanted to see my old dragbike so went in the back and pulled the cover off the front. I showed him the machined from billet lower triple tree i made...BACK IN 1988...26 YEARS AGO!!! Doin this kinda stuff is just plain ole fun!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshelly View Post
Great idea, but I would think that after many miles of vibration and the torque on the sprocket that cracks may develop on the welds. Personally, I just wouldn't trust it. If it's lets go at high speeds,.... you're toast. JMHO
I entrusted the welding to a man with 30+ years as a welder so I have absolutely no doubt as to the integrity of the welds and their ability to do the job. Besides when I look at all the pieces/parts on skoots that are welded together, add onto that the welding on airplanes, ships, cars, blah blah blah I have no concerns.

Many aftermarket wheels are welded together and I have never seen a failure.

RACNRAY

Last edited by RACNRAY; 11-04-2014 at 06:01 PM.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:59 AM   #19

Ray,

Did you check the runout of the pulley with an indicator after you installed it? As long as the runout is very minimal then the welds would be less of an issue.

I think If i were to do this mod, I would take the time to draw up and program a pulley with the # of teeth I wanted and compleatly machine the whole pulley. But that's just me....

2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
VBA # 2395

Old 11-02-2014, 10:02 AM   #20

As always awesome thought and workmanship. I don't have the skills or knowledge to do anything like this but always enjoy reading your modifications. Wish I liked closer than NY. One day I will visit. Enjoy and be Safe!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-02-2014, 05:12 PM   #21

Modern -hi tech- Welds, are usually stronger than the parent metal ..

Old 11-03-2014, 10:59 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramdam1 View Post
As always awesome thought and workmanship. I don't have the skills or knowledge to do anything like this but always enjoy reading your modifications. Wish I liked closer than NY. One day I will visit. Enjoy and be Safe!!
THANX...glad you like reading them, I enjoy doin them!!! Stop by anytime!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Sam View Post
Modern -hi tech- Welds, are usually stronger than the parent metal ..
YEP...I used to work at what was then South Florida's only complete m/c machine shop. The owner was a welder EXTRODINARE and learned a ton from him. With the knowledge of welding I learned from him I knew my regular welder was not gonna be my choice, so a call to a friend who is in the high end world of cars referred me to the welder I used. I have all the confidence in the world.

This weekends ride was 340+ mls and it was a treat to have the engine runnin at a more relaxed rpm. Gas mileage went up also and that is a good thing. Plus the odo is registering about 7 mls less for every 100 traveled, so the skoot will acquire miles a bit slower. Until I installed the speedo healer back in June the speedo, like 99% of Jap skoots do, was always reading faster than I was goin with more miles being added to the odo over miles actually traveled.

RACNRAY

Old 11-03-2014, 01:10 PM   #23

lol wheelbase

You decerase your wheelbase by 3/16 of an inch and you can tell that it corners better.... You have many talents.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:11 PM   #24

Spend enough time riding bikes up to and past their limits, you can become very sensitive to even the smallest changes. On my Z1000, I can feel a 1 psi change in the front tire, and a 2 psi in the rear. Feel and feedback mean everything to me, which is why I am so picky about my tire choices. I have taken off and thrown away tires that had a lot of life left because I didn't like the way they made the bike feel.
Thunder Mfg Prototype Hi Performance Kit Rev 2
109 cid
Klockwerks Windshield
Corbin Young Gun
Throttle Mod
Freedom Performance 2-1
Roarin Toyz Intake
PCV with AutoTune
Ivanized ECU

Old 11-03-2014, 05:35 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Dragon View Post
Spend enough time riding bikes up to and past their limits, you can become very sensitive to even the smallest changes. On my Z1000, I can feel a 1 psi change in the front tire, and a 2 psi in the rear. Feel and feedback mean everything to me, which is why I am so picky about my tire choices. I have taken off and thrown away tires that had a lot of life left because I didn't like the way they made the bike feel.
I call Really??? 1 & 2 lbs. ???

2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
VBA # 2395

Old 11-03-2014, 07:14 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldhthept View Post
You decerase your wheelbase by 3/16 of an inch and you can tell that it corners better.... You have many talents.
Only from experience.

Many years ago I installed a one tooth larger rear sprocket on my Busa. Obviously the axle had to be moved forward to accommodate the larger rear sprocket, but there was no thought as to any possible influence in handling. I had initially over geared the skoot and needed to bring the potential top speed to within the ability of the skoot to reach it in our 9/10's mile racing we have down here in S. Fla. The skoot was geared to run 208 at the rev limiter but due to NOT having a slammed and stretched Busa for a good launch, first and second gear were spent with the front wheel in the air. I could not get to full throttle until third gear, so my drive out of the hole was pathetic with a tremendous compromise in acceleration for those first 2 gears. I ended up only running 197mph in 9/10's mile and the engine at too low of an rpm at the end of the run. Never got a chance to go back out and run the skoot. So with that one tooth larger rear sprocket I was pleasantly surprised at how much nimbler it handled, was quite noticeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Dragon View Post
AGREE 100%...I too can feel a difference with tire pressures, not just with my Busa but also with the Vaq. You are also correct in the "feel and feedback", especially in all aspects of cornering. Havin that front tire really communicate to you what it's doin is very important when railin' a skoot around the turns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshelly View Post
I call Really??? 1 & 2 lbs. ???
No b/s here, Gypsy Dragon obviously has experiences that more than just himself can attest to, no need to doubt someone who has experiences you don't have.

RACNRAY

Old 11-03-2014, 08:04 PM   #27

Cool! Nice work!
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 11-04-2014, 03:48 PM   #28

Very cool stuff RaciRay. The Science is interesting for sure too.
Kury ISO grips
V&H Twin Slash
Cobra FI2000R
Chucksters BAK
Ray's Throttle Mod
4 Polk DB521
Alpine KTP-445U Amp

Old 11-04-2014, 07:53 PM   #29

I have to agree that a couple lbs psi difference in tire pressure can be sensed...especially after you have the perfect pressure dialed in, and then it changes...a noticeable change in handling will be felt ! (and I'm no hot rider..just a cruiser !)

Old 11-05-2014, 11:28 AM   #30

Nice work, Ray!

I would be interested in going the other direction in gearing on my bike for better acceleration and low-speed grunt. I'm thinking a loss or one tooth on the front pulley would make a nice difference, and that due to the smaller part, it would be relatively easier to machine a new pulley.
Cobra Scalloped Slip-ons

Thunder Mfg. Intake Gasket
DEI Titanium exhaust header wrap
Corbin heated seat.
Polk Audio db521 speakers
Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 with Mobil 1 M1-110 filter
Kuryakyn Longhorn Offset Dually Highway Pegs
Chrome passenger running board covers
All new fluids and lube.