Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 08-07-2015, 07:39 PM   #16

I put these on shortly after purchase. I thought these little LED's added bling along with additional visual notification of intent. Single element and comes in red and amber. I got the resistors at the same time but found they functioned normally without the resistors. Use as BRAKE & TURN lights.

2003 Nomad 1500fi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3232.jpg (101.2 KB, 50 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-07-2015, 07:46 PM   #17

Sounds like a personal opinion rather than fact. No beef here... Just the simple fact I was on a white FXDP HD police bike, wearing a white helmet, and a light blue shirt, and STILL was hit and nearly killed in '97....

Old 08-07-2015, 09:15 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas nomad View Post
Sounds like a personal opinion rather than fact. No beef here... Just the simple fact I was on a white FXDP HD police bike, wearing a white helmet, and a light blue shirt, and STILL was hit and nearly killed in '97....
Bad luck for sure. Extra lights might not help in every situation, heck you just need to do a search on the Internet to see how often a police car with flashing lights blazing get rear ended while they have a car pulled over, or a slow moving snow plow with the back end lit up like a Christmas tree gets rear ended.
There are distracted drivers everywhere, but if an extra brake light grabs the attention of just one driver behind you then it was worth the bother.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 08-07-2015, 09:44 PM   #19

one of my first mods on my 1600 was to add chrome triailor lights to the chrome strip between bags and rear fenders. They are running and brake lights, hooked up to my brake light modulator, works very well.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:27 AM   #20

Norm, couldn't agree more with you. Those extra lights could just grab the attention of a distracted drive in the nick of time to avoid being slammed into. My buddy was rear ended while we were on holiday down in the Key's a few years ago, we were stopped at a red light when a woman on her phone hit him. Luckily he walked away but that ended the riding trip.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-12-2015, 10:45 PM   #21

I added an LED bar across the lower saddlebag brace that you can see in my signature. It is a Stop/Turn/Tail combination and I had to use a 5 wire to 4 wire trailer harness adapter (I think I used a Hoppy brand). At the time the pics were taken, I had also changed my turn signals to stop/turn/tail. Later I added the Rivco SOMA lights that come with brackets to mount them using the license plate and changed my turn signals back to just turn signals. The SOMA lights can be wired to flash for 5 seconds when the brake is applied then stay solid. For whatever reason, mine continue to flash instead of turning solid when my bike is running. Not an issue in my mind since I have the stock brake light and the low mounted one as well.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:24 AM   #22

How about a Vololight? Not only more light, but they engage from deceleration. I've been running one for over a year now.

Americas Guardians PS MC
President, Tennessee 16-A
VBA #02203
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
"Black Magic" 2011 Vaquero, 69k miles, handed
down to my son for hopefully many more miles!

Old 08-14-2015, 10:35 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bear View Post
How about a Vololight? Not only more light, but they engage from deceleration. I've been running one for over a year now.
That's cool never saw that before. One thought does come to mind though, how does that look from behind in the twistes? Rider behind thinks man this guy is always on his brakes.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 08-14-2015, 11:28 AM   #24
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
Rider behind thinks man this guy is always on his brakes.
I could see it being real annoying to be following in a group ride but brilliant for everything else. I've thought for a long time that all cars should have mandatory brake lights on the FRONT as standard safety equipment so you'd know if the person coming toward you was about to blow an intersection.

But then I'm weird - I also think mailboxes should have GREEN FLAGS which the mailman has to flip UP when you have mail.

Last edited by id-man; 08-14-2015 at 11:30 AM.

Old 08-14-2015, 03:58 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by id-man View Post

But then I'm weird - I also think mailboxes should have GREEN FLAGS which the mailman has to flip UP when you have mail.
Well mine has red which means stop "you got mail".
The blond next door had an AOL version on her computer to let her know, but every time she walked down the road to the boxes there was nothing!

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136