Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 12-15-2018, 05:53 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
If you decide not to go with new bolts you need some tubing spacers with a 14mm outside diameter and a 1/2 bore to put in the triple tree.

14mm (0.551) outside diameter with a 0.500 bore = 0.027 wall

As an alternative maybe 0.025 steel shim stock would work as a last resort ?
Cut a piece of shim stock the same length as the circumference of the 14mm bolt and insert the shim stock from under the triple clamp after the 14mm bolt is inserted in place.

Came to the same conclusion. If I mull it over long enough, the smart shit bubbles up to the top sooner or later ;)

Did some digging online and found Motion Industries. They make all kinds of sleeves, bushings, spacers, etc. Ordered eight 12mm ID x 14mm OD x 15mm length Polyacetal (hard plastic) bushings for about $15 shipped. I figured I could try and tap 1/2"x13 threads in a pair and drill out another pair to 1/2" and see which one works best. A bright spot in all this is those LA Chopper risers I mentioned are $199.00 from the usual places, but I found them on Amazon for $157.00 but when I went back to order them they're marked down to $136!! Not gonna happen 'til after Christmas though because of shipping.

Thanks for the solid advice redjay
Chuckster's BAK
Vance & Hines Slip ons
Corbin seat w/backrest
Clearview XTall Smoke Windscreen
Kawa Quick Release Backrest
Flat Black Saddlebag Top Rails
Cheap-ass wanna-be Longhorn style Highway pegs

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-28-2018, 08:44 AM   #17

Ok, a little update. I've got them on just to see how they look and would feel. I found a local hydraulics and hoses shop that'll make my front brake line for $35! And will make a clutch hose extension for the same. I got no problem splicing in wire extensions. But I am concerned with the throttle cables. I found some Venhill BYO's on Amazon for cheap. I did a search here but no luck as for sourcing out premade ones. Any help peeps?

I bought some spacers/bushings from Motion Industries (14mm O.D., 12mm I.D.) and used a Dremmel to enlarge the I.D. to accept the 1/2" Hex bolt that threads into the Chopper risers. Used 2 1/2" SS Hex bolts from Lowes.

Getting the Steering stem cap nut off was not easy. a few days of soaking it in PB Blaster and going to Lowes to buy the largest MM socket they have (32mm) I found that it did not fit. Hmmm. Went back to Lowes and bought a set of Plumbers sockets, the kind you use to R&R heater elements in water heaters. Thin walled tubes shaped like sockets. Worked!!

Chuckster's BAK
Vance & Hines Slip ons
Corbin seat w/backrest

Last edited by UncleFappy; 12-28-2018 at 08:52 AM.

Old 12-28-2018, 03:36 PM   #18

Looking good!

Old 12-28-2018, 04:19 PM   #19

Update. Thank God! I found a complete online (downloadable) service manual for the Vaquero on Manualslib.com! Will be a big help when it's time to remove the tank to replace the throttle cables, and also bleeding/removing the clutch line. I found SS Custom Cycle who would fab two +6" throttle cables but they wanted $130 shipped. I ended up ordering Venhill Universal Dual Throttle cable kit for $45. Make my own. That and I broke down and bought a brake bleeder kit (shoulda done that before taking off the front brake line). In the mean time I'll splice in longer electrics. Will have more news/work done next week-ish. Now I'm getting excited and antsy to ride with the new set up.
Chuckster's BAK
Vance & Hines Slip ons
Corbin seat w/backrest