Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 02-28-2011, 10:14 PM   #31

Torque Cones

vulcane My cone's I ordered will be here in a couple of days. Is there anything special i should do or just drop them in like you said. I have the same cones and pipe set upas you. Thanks Mike

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-28-2011, 10:32 PM   #32

Torque Cones

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyger
vulcane My cone's I ordered will be here in a couple of days. Is there anything special i should do or just drop them in like you said. I have the same cones and pipe set upas you. Thanks Mike
Mine are just dropped in, then reinstalled the pipes. I did them one at a time. Like I said earlier though, I would wrap some aluminum foil around a cone to hold it in the center, install it in the header pipe, then install the pipe onto the bike. Muffler mounting bolts torque at 25 ft lbs, and the header pipes torque to the head at 14 ft lbs.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 03-01-2011, 06:57 AM   #33

Torque Cones

thanks vulcane i will let you know how things go this weekend! Becareful!

Old 03-02-2011, 09:02 PM   #34

Torque Cones

I got the cones today! Ordered them saturday and got them already! I went and got 2 hd gaskets for 8 dollars this evening.I think they are a little thicker and wider than the crush gaskets. the cones match up perfectly and if they are a little loose it looks like they will still be covered by the gasket.Glad i got these from hd now not only for the price but the fitment will be better.i think i will put some foil around them or a drop of something to hold them straight but I don;t think it is really needed.Also got 4 new stainless steel 8mm acorn nuts from ace hardware for 9 dollars.my old ones were the only rusty looking thing on the bike!thanks again I will put them on tomorrow and let you know how it goes mike

Old 03-03-2011, 09:33 AM   #35

Torque Cones

Glad it's all coming together for you mike. If your new acorn nuts aren't flanged, you might want to get some stainless flat washers to go under them. It'll keep the studs from bottoming out in the new nuts.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-03-2011, 01:03 PM   #36

Torque Cones

Quote:
I got the cones today! Ordered them saturday and got them already! I went and got 2 hd gaskets for 8 dollars this evening.I think they are a little thicker and wider than the crush gaskets. the cones match up perfectly and if they are a little loose it looks like they will still be covered by the gasket.Glad i got these from hd now not only for the price but the fitment will be better.i think i will put some foil around them or a drop of something to hold them straight but I don;t think it is really needed.Also got 4 new stainless steel 8mm acorn nuts from ace hardware for 9 dollars.my old ones were the only rusty looking thing on the bike!thanks again I will put them on tomorrow and let you know how it goes mike
Let us know if there is a noticeable difference once you get it all installed.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 03-03-2011, 08:50 PM   #37

Torque Cones

I got them in and rode a little. It does seem to have more low end pull. I did not ride much but will tomorrow.I took a 2mile ride on the interstate to make the block I was ridinh=g and on deceleration it wanted to backfire a litle and did if you were down shifing. I can make it by the feel of the throttle not do this you kind of just have to fell it if yiu know what i mean. i don't usally downsift at high speeds anyway. I will do more riding tommorow and check back in. does yours do that vulcan e. It just has never done this before.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:33 AM   #38

Torque Cones

No,mine don't backfire. Are you sure you got a good seal around the exhaust gasket? Check where the header tubes go into the head, make sure the pipe/s are in the bosses all the way around, you might have to get a mirror to look at the back side. I'm thinking this may be the issue, and Do you still have the reed valves?

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 03-04-2011, 10:22 AM   #39

Torque Cones

VulcanE THANKS for all your help! It was a exhaust leak but not no more and no more backfireing.It has more quicker pull and suits my riding conditions to a tee because I ride locally in and around town . Also like you said has more getty up and go and it did not change the sound! Good deal for 15 dollars! Also the aluminum trick worked good! Thanks again! Mike

Old 03-04-2011, 02:28 PM   #40

Torque Cones

Quote:
Also like you said has more getty up and go and it did not change the sound! Good deal for 15 dollars! e
That is all I needed to hear!! I'm getting some! :)

Old 03-04-2011, 03:01 PM   #41

Torque Cones

Utah click on where vulcan e posted the word (These) on page 1 of this thread.They are the ones I got for 15.95 free shipping and i ordered them sat night and had them wednesday.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:12 PM   #42

Torque Cones

There are lots of verities. http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_...&_sop=15&_sc=1

I ended up going with these. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ANTI-...item2eb3a5592f

Old 03-04-2011, 03:46 PM   #43

Torque Cones

Good deal!I also got the hd gaskets for 8 dollars,Its a good thing because I had the exhaust leak and had to reuse them.I not sure if you could do that with a crush gasket.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:02 PM   #44

Torque Cones

I personally always use the HD exhaust gaskets whenever I pull off my pipes. They work like a charm everytime!

Old 03-04-2011, 04:35 PM   #45

Torque Cones

Mike,Glad to here it all worked out. I've bought several things from Eastern Performance (not all of them off ebay), and their shipping has always been quick. They are on my "Good to do business with" list.
Jared, yes there are a lot of them to choose from, so I was looking for two things when I ordered my set. 1) made of stainless steel, and 2) sold by Eastern Performance
These things do make a difference that you can feel, and especially for the price, is well worth it.
Cliff

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381