Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 09-23-2015, 09:47 PM   #31
Advanced Member

There is no indication what so ever from Kaw that there is a fire hazard in this situation, only a loss of ignition. So actually I change my answer, if it catches on fire I would expect Kaw to take care of it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-24-2015, 07:21 AM   #32

I just received my recall notice in the mail today. Looks like its an issue for Kawa, so I guess I'll make an appointment at the stealership to get this looked at /repaired.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:25 AM   #33

funny because I got my recall notice yesterday, called the dealer, and they went ahead and ordered the parts without even looking at the bike, they will call me when the parts are in and fix it then, so no real down time and they just laughed when I told them kawi said not to ride the bike because they will not come and get it, so I have to ride it in to them anyway. Is Kawasaki going to pay for the bike pick up as well? might be interesting to see their reaction to that question.
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 09-24-2015, 12:31 PM   #34

Got mine a couple days ago. Have checked it 4-5 times over the last 2+ years since I bought it new and again 30 minutes ago. All is good on mine with at least a 1/4" clearance for the wires going by the tank. I now have just over 38k on it, a 12 Voyager ABS.

Old 09-24-2015, 01:03 PM   #35
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick6375 View Post
Got mine a couple days ago. Have checked it 4-5 times over the last 2+ years since I bought it new and again 30 minutes ago. All is good on mine with at least a 1/4" clearance for the wires going by the tank. I now have just over 38k on it, a 12 Voyager ABS.
Mine has the same amount of clearance Rick and the wires are completely covered from top to bottom with a plastic sheathing from factory. No wires are exposed at all, but I figure 20 mins of my time for them to put on a raincoat over the wires is no big deal.

On the 1500, too much to list.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Power Commander 5 and Ivan-ized ECU
Chuckster's BAK
Aux Audio adapter with bluetooth receiver.
Mustang 2 up Touring Seat w/ driver and passenger backrest
Kuryakyn Longhorn highway pegs.
Kawasaki 12 volt charger
Longer 1600 meanstreak SE kickstand
Full LED Daymaker light mod.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-24-2015, 02:00 PM   #36
Advanced Member

got my recall too! just spoke to my dealer and there is two separate kits involved, one no damaged seen- install sleeve, then if there is chafing another kit is then ordered at that time. the first kit can be ordered by your vin when you call so its there waiting on you

Old 09-30-2015, 09:07 PM   #37

I just pulled tank bib off checked mine out was over 1/2 clearance between wires and tank so I blew recall off and just sliced a 3/8 piece of fuel line and put over switch wires and zip tied. problem solved

Old 09-30-2015, 10:41 PM   #38

My Voyager was corrected by dealer today. Needed the easy fix.
2006 900 Kawa Classic
2007 1600 Nomad
2013 Voyager

Old 10-01-2015, 11:19 AM   #39

Greetings,
RECALL completed today... Took them about 35 mins to complete. It was their third or fourth one, so they are getting proficient.
No fuss, no muss. In and out, back on the road.
Ride safe,
Smokier

Old 10-01-2015, 06:37 PM   #40

Never got a recall notice in the mail. I heard about it on facebook when someone tagged me with the article.

Today I called to schedule an oil change and get the recall done.

The dealer explained that there are 2 versions of the recall.

1. wires are toast and replace the the whole ignition. This has to be ordered as your key will need to fit.

2. wires look good and they put some kind of covering over existing wires and done.

I asked what if I bring the bike and it needs a new ignition how do I get home? Dealer said if need be they have an impromptu fix while you wait for the part to come in.

Old 10-02-2015, 06:43 PM   #41

It took my dealer a week to check,order, and install the sheathing. Mine showed no wear at all. Kind of pissed that I missed out on some nice riding weather. I let the Service counter guy know about it. Not my finest moment lol.

Old 10-02-2015, 09:11 PM   #42
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Stewart View Post
It took my dealer a week to check,order, and install the sheathing. Mine showed no wear at all. Kind of pissed that I missed out on some nice riding weather. I let the Service counter guy know about it. Not my finest moment lol.
Would you rather that it let you down in the middle of nowhere because of an issue that Kawasaki knew about or get it fixed in a recall ?

Old 10-04-2015, 08:30 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieago62 View Post
I just pulled tank bib off checked mine out was over 1/2 clearance between wires and tank so I blew recall off and just sliced a 3/8 piece of fuel line and put over switch wires and zip tied. problem solved
Creative solution.

IMHO -> On those occasions were I purchase used bikes. I research the history or known issues of that model bike, including recalls. If a PO had any recalls applied, I figured he cared about his bike and took care of it. If there were outstanding RECALLS which had not be done...

The recall doesn't cost you anything. The recall gets logged into the bikes service history.
It is your bike. I am not judging, I am only offering a different perspective...

Ride safe,
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Old 10-04-2015, 09:54 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokier View Post
Creative solution.

IMHO -> On those occasions were I purchase used bikes. I research the history or known issues of that model bike, including recalls. If a PO had any recalls applied, I figured he cared about his bike and took care of it. If there were outstanding RECALLS which had not be done...

The recall doesn't cost you anything. The recall gets logged into the bikes service history.
It is your bike. I am not judging, I am only offering a different perspective...

Ride safe,
Smokier
I understand what your saying but having done lots and lots of recalls in the past working for Yamaha and Suzuki there is really not much to this one. That being said I bought a 4yo $16000 bike for 9 and when I get rid of it value will be 5 or less If I can even give it away for that! and my closest dealer is 65 miles away. I'm not too concerned about it. I still have 15 month warranty and already addressed two problems myself that warranty probably would have covered wasn't too worried about that either.

Last edited by Dieago62; 10-04-2015 at 10:00 AM.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:15 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieago62 View Post
I understand what your saying but having done lots and lots of recalls in the past working for Yamaha and Suzuki there is really not much to this one. That being said I bought a 4yo $16000 bike for 9 and when I get rid of it value will be 5 or less If I can even give it away for that! and my closest dealer is 65 miles away. I'm not too concerned about it. I still have 15 month warranty and already addressed two problems myself that warranty probably would have covered wasn't too worried about that either.
I agree,I'm not going through all of that trouble of dropping the bike off, then getting someone to pick me up, then drop me back off to pick it back up when all they're going to do is put a piece of dam rubber on it. There's nothing technical about what they're doing here. I'll just do it myself this afternoon.