Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 10-14-2014, 12:02 PM   #31

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawhead View Post
Yeah, I got to mention RIP Edgar E. Riecke. Poor guy makes it to 69 and dies in a stupid accident like this doing most likely what he loved.

I was riding home from work one night and got caught in a torrential thunderstorm. Cars were flashing their lights at me and I thought they were warning me of a disabled car or something, when all of a sudden the top of a big tree appears in the roadway and all I had time for was to think "Oh shit"! The bike bounces and holds the road somehow. Maybe 'cause I have a CT mounted.

I thought later on, damn, "Oh shit" could have been my last thought.

What I'm hoping is the negligence was on Mr. Riecke. The article ends with, "it appears nothing criminal occurred, according to UHP".

So
So, someday, and that day may never come you may read a story similar to this with Ol' Kawhead in it. Y'all just assume I was riding along and see a buncha cubscouts jumping up and down and waving their hands, the last thought I had before a tree flattens me was, "Them stupid ass young uns act like they never seen an old man on a motorcycle before!" "They's something different about that tree" " " I bet I can make it under that tree before it hits the road"

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-14-2014, 12:56 PM   #32
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Grazie Pounch!

Ho amato quella serie tanto come Breaking Bad!

(I love that series as much as Breaking Bad!)
Io capisco italiano.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 10-14-2014, 01:28 PM   #33
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Gee thanks Mr. Webmaster!

Now find me the whole episode free.

Youtube has it for subscription. That said, Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, The Walking Dead and Deadwood have been the best shows of the new millenium. I'd put them in the top ten ever too.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Old 10-14-2014, 01:55 PM   #34
Mega-Contributor

Here's an update to this story from a different source:

Motorcyclist killed by tree cut down by boy scouts who were away from group

Posted 5:32 pm, October 12, 2014, by Mark Green and Robert Boyd, Updated at 12:44pm, October 13, 2014
GARFIELD COUNTY, Utah — A man from Colorado was killed while driving a motorcycle on State Route 12 in Utah Saturday when he collided with a falling tree that was felled by a group of Boy Scouts, and on Monday more details relating to the crash emerged.
Allen Endicott, Scout Executive with the Trapper Trails Council of the Boy Scouts of America, issued a statement Sunday regarding the incident, which police have described as a case of “unfortunate timing.”
The statement provided by Endicott is reproduced in its entirety below:
“According to all available reports, yesterday’s events were a tragic accident. In Scouting we strive to make every effort to provide a safe environment for all that are involved, both Scouts, leaders, and the public.
As a council, our hearts go out to the family of the person who tragically lost his life in this terrible accident. We express our sincerest condolences to his family and friends. We are also mindful of the Scouts, leaders, and families of this troop at this time and the impact yesterday’s events had on them. As a Scouting community we invite everyone to remember all who were involved in their thoughts and prayers.”
The man was identified by officials Sunday as Edgar E. Rickie, 69, of Durango, Colorado.
Joe Dougherty of the Utah Department of Public Safety said the man had no time to react.
“It probably happened in a matter of milliseconds,” Dougherty said. “Literally this man had no option; there was nothing he could do to avoid this tree falling.”
A press release issued Saturday by the Utah Department of Public Safety states the man, “was traveling north on state Route 12 in Garfield County when he crashed into a falling aspen tree. The tree had been felled by a group of Boy Scouts with a permit for cutting down trees for firewood.”
The press release also said the boys had a permit to cut down trees, and that they were under adult supervision.
“At this point we don’t know everything about where they were cutting down the trees,” he told FOX 13 News. “We know that two boys had stepped away from the main group that was cutting trees, and they were the ones that happened to fell this tree.”
The man was wearing a helmet. A passerby called 911, and a doctor who was with the Boy Scout group pronounced the man dead at the scene, according to the press release.
Dougherty said if charges connected to the case are filed, that decision would rest with the county attorney.
“Any kind of charges that could come from this, that’s something that UHP is consulting with the Garfield District Attorney’s Office and the Garfield Attorney is the one to bring charges if that were to happen, but at this point we just don’t know,” he said. “It appears to be a really unfortunate accident.”
No charges have yet been filed.
The crash occurred in an area officials said was about halfway between Boulder, which is in Garfield County, and Torrey, which is in Wayne County.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 10-14-2014, 02:17 PM   #35
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post

Posted 5:32 pm, October 12, 2014, by Mark Green and Robert Boyd, Updated at 12:44pm, October 13, 2014
GARFIELD COUNTY, Utah — A man from Colorado was killed while driving a motorcycle on State Route 12 in Utah Saturday when he collided with a falling tree that was felled by a group of Boy Scouts, and on Monday more details relating to the crash emerged.
Allen Endicott, Scout Executive with the Trapper Trails Council of the Boy Scouts of America, issued a statement Sunday regarding the incident, which police have described as a case of “unfortunate timing.”
“According to all available reports, yesterday’s events were a tragic accident. In Scouting we strive to make every effort to provide a safe environment for all that are involved, both Scouts, leaders, and the public.
As a council, our hearts go out to the family of the person who tragically lost his life in this terrible accident. We express our sincerest condolences to his family and friends. We are also mindful of the Scouts, leaders, and families of this troop at this time and the impact yesterday’s events had on them. As a Scouting community we invite everyone to remember all who were involved in their thoughts and prayers.”
The man was identified by officials Sunday as Edgar E. Rickie, 69, of Durango, Colorado.
Joe Dougherty of the Utah Department of Public Safety said the man had no time to react.
“It probably happened in a matter of milliseconds,” Dougherty said. “Literally this man had no option; there was nothing he could do to avoid this tree falling.”
A press release issued Saturday by the Utah Department of Public Safety states the man, “was traveling north on state Route 12 in Garfield County when he crashed into a falling aspen tree. The tree had been felled by a group of Boy Scouts with a permit for cutting down trees for firewood.”
The press release also said the boys had a permit to cut down trees, and that they were under adult supervision.
“At this point we don’t know everything about where they were cutting down the trees,” he told FOX 13 News. “We know that two boys had stepped away from the main group that was cutting trees, and they were the ones that happened to fell this tree.”
The man was wearing a helmet. A passerby called 911, and a doctor who was with the Boy Scout group pronounced the man dead at the scene, according to the press release.
Dougherty said if charges connected to the case are filed, that decision would rest with the county attorney.
“Any kind of charges that could come from this, that’s something that UHP is consulting with the Garfield District Attorney’s Office and the Garfield Attorney is the one to bring charges if that were to happen, but at this point we just don’t know,” he said. “It appears to be a really unfortunate accident.”
The crash occurred in an area officials said was about halfway between Boulder, which is in Garfield County, and Torrey, which is in Wayne County.
Why do I get the feeling that they want to sweep this under the rug? I hope the decedent's family gets a good lawyer.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-14-2014, 02:27 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch View Post
Io capisco italiano.
Non lo faccio . Io uso l' inglese / italiano traduttore.

Lo sapevo "Io capisco italiano".

Un cazzo di scimmia riusciva a capire che PartOne fuori .

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 10-14-2014, 02:54 PM   #37
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Non lo faccio . Io uso l' inglese / italiano traduttore.

Lo sapevo "Io capisco italiano".

Un cazzo di scimmia riusciva a capire che PartOne fuori .
Cazzo di scimmia. Hmmm...OK.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 10-14-2014, 03:12 PM   #38

Quote:
Cazzo di scimmia. Hmmm...OK.
Everybody knows what capisco and comprendere is.

And "Mi scusi . Dov'è il gatto di casa ?"

Dis dawg done been all round the world up in here Yo!

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

Old 10-14-2014, 03:26 PM   #39
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Everybody knows what capisco and comprendere is.

And "Mi scusi . Dov'è il gatto di casa ?"

Dis dawg done been all round the world up in here Yo!
One, but not everyone understands the difference between literal translation and idiomatic translation. Two, not everyone know verb conjugation with the proper pronoun. Just saying.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 10-14-2014, 03:35 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post

I'd still like to know if precautions were taken to warn traffic.
With no charges being filed by the UHP I'm assuming that was the case.

I've had road hypnosis before and damn near ran through a flagman.

I hope that's the way the case ends.
Juss sayin'.

I've met a Scout Ranger before. I'm told these guys are paid by the BSA and live on Scout Camps. An arrogance SOB he was, and I had to straiten his silly ass out. I wasn't one of his Scout Masters or Boy Scouts he was talking to.

Hurt my feelings because he never uttered another word to me.
Prolly 'cause he thought I was fixin to knock him on his ass, 'cause I told him "I'm fixin to knock you on your ass."

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

Old 10-14-2014, 03:42 PM   #41

Quote:
One, but not everyone understands the difference between literal translation and idiomatic translation. Two, not everyone know verb conjugation with the proper pronoun. Just saying.
That kind of thing happens all the time.

A lot of people including moi have a problem with English, the most sophisticated, intelligent language in the world.

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

Old 10-14-2014, 03:49 PM   #42
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
That kind of thing happens all the time.

A lot of people including moi have a problem with English, the most sophisticated, intelligent language in the world.
I don't speak english. I speak New York.

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Last edited by ponch; 10-14-2014 at 03:56 PM.

Old 10-14-2014, 03:54 PM   #43

Quote:
I'd still like to know if precautions were taken to warn traffic.
With no charges being filed by the UHP I'm assuming that was the case.
IMO it's hard to believe to report he was wearing a helmet but not report he ignored a flagger. I don't think so. Shooting from the hip and not knowing all the facts, gross negligence usually results in a third degree manslaughter charge.

I wonder if it would have been called an unfortunate incident if this happened to "Bob", who was riding his bike about a mile from his home? I'm thinking not. BSA better lawyer up no matter what charges may be filed.

Oldest Saloon In Nevada
http://www.pioneersaloon.info/

"Sin City Stan"
Henderson, NV
VBA #01004
VROC #29365
2004 Nomad 1500L5 +100 "The Bike"
2009 Nomad 1700 (past)
2004 Vulcan Classic 800 (past)
2010 Cortez - 2011 Crescent City - 2012 Kanab - 2013 Estes Park

Old 10-14-2014, 04:13 PM   #44
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Why do I get the feeling that they want to sweep this under the rug? I hope the decedent's family gets a good lawyer.
It certainly sounds like they are trying to distance themselves from the incident.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 10-14-2014, 06:12 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin City Stan View Post
IMO it's hard to believe to report he was wearing a helmet but not report he ignored a flagger. I don't think so. Shooting from the hip and not knowing all the facts, gross negligence usually results in a third degree manslaughter charge.

I wonder if it would have been called an unfortunate incident if this happened to "Bob", who was riding his bike about a mile from his home? I'm thinking not. BSA better lawyer up no matter what charges may be filed.
Yeah, that being said, there's some pertinent information not being told, I think.

I'd like tho think with the adults around one would have had the presence of mind to think about an accident occurring.

Of course there could have been a few snot nose hellyan splitter group that decided it would be a joke to cut a tree down to block traffic.

I got scores of shithead cousins in that category. Shoulda been drowned in the bathtub with complete prejudicial malice, in the most vicious way during infancy.

Which just might be the crux of the story.

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad