Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-05-2009, 10:48 PM   #31
Mega-Contributor

Dan is a cop magnet! *video added*

I am watching my mailbox for the next few days. I think I may be receiving a photo citation from the city of Tempe in the mail. I got caught by a red-light camera going through an intersection last week. The light turned yellow just before I got to the crosswalk lines and rather than lock the tires up, I kept going and saw the flash. If I get one it will be about a $200 ticket.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-05-2009, 11:24 PM   #32

LOL... Sorry about the crappy luck, Dan.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 08-05-2009, 11:51 PM   #33

Alright - I'll be the one as some one in Law Enforcement to step up and say something:

She stopped you for a violation. You admit it. Cops jobs are to make contact with people who are commiting offenses. Sometimes will use a small thing in order to find out what people are up to. I have had many drug arrests, DUI's, and warrants out of trucks not having mud flaps which are required by Idaho State Law.

If you walked around on my traffic stop I would address it too. On a stop I am responsible for EVERYONES safety. I require motorists and passengers to stay in their vehicles, and motorcyclists to sit on or lean against their bikes. She let you walk around farther than I would have and I'm pretty low key.

I would wonder why you didn't pull over immediately. I realize in your world of whatever you do Dan you don't have to think about it, but sometimes criminals get off the road and into a parking lot or unpopulated area in order to ambush the officer. YOU don't have to think about things like that, I (and she) does.

I'm sorry everyone here finds her physique amusing. I'll admit, I don't want her on my department's recruitment poster but I've done this job long enough not to judge that. Maybe she just spent 10 years as a Detective dealing with child molestors. Interviewing them, pretending to be their friend in order to get a confession. No stress there is there. Dealing with dead childrent that have been raped or molested. Maybe five years ago she was in great shape and like my brother, responded to a crash where a logging truck had tipped over on a highway. Maybe the logs had crushed the driver and the only thing she could do was hold his hand while he died, even though she wanted to do more. Maybe she's just a detective filling in a patrol spot because and officer was killed and she wants to make sure everyone on his team can go to the funeral. Bottom line is I'll bet she responds better when the bullets start flying than you do. I'm in no place to judge why she looks how she does, but many others seem able to.

Lastly, she was professional with you. At least the contact I saw. She was matter of fact yes. She wanted to make sure you understood ticket and you were being passive aggresive about it.

I have seen several of your posts about your tickets Dan. There are a couple of common denominators in your threads: Your violation never warrants being pulled over and THE COP always has an attitude. Maybe the problem is yours. Go fight your ticket. You have your right to do that - I don't care. But to you and all of you who chose to partake in this, go on a ride-along with your local agency. If you haven't it will open your eyes.

For Dan, why didn't you talk to her. She's an adult and your an adult. You could have spoken to her plainly, maybe apologized for not pulling over right away. But you chose the whole passive aggressive, "I'd like to remain silent". I'll extend you and invitation to come over to my neck of the woods and I will take you on a ride-along so maybe you can get a different perspective.

Other than that, there are plenty of cop slamming blogs and sites, why don't you go post your video and diatribes over there.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:05 AM   #34

I woulda got off with a simple warning, yessireemaam.

who made that law up? kinda like having to wear seat belts.

Robert(skeeter)Dozier
07 Red&Titanium Nomad
81 Suzuki 850GL
KawaNow pre#

Old 08-06-2009, 12:24 AM   #35
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

Dan, now look what you've done and caused! A CONTROVERSY!

Next time you get a ticket for your shield being slightly cracked open realize that giving you a ticket was for your own good! Your town is much safer now that your visor is shut.

To be honest yridehd, if I did a ride along with you and you pulled over a single biker on a stock motorcycle because of a slightly cracked open shield I'd laugh and think you were Barney Fife.

Nothing personal but I wouldn't want an officer who pulled me over for such an insignificant thing (yes technically illegal in Denver I suppose) be the one pulling her weapon. I wouldn't have much confidence of her reasonableness to handle that situation.

I believe that if Dan was riding with 50 Hell's Angles dress in their colors with a cracked open face shield that officer wouldn't have pulled them over. Dan was an easy mark.

Now Dan behave!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-06-2009, 01:04 AM   #36

Actually BD your totally wrong and missed part of my earlier message. I have stopped many, many, people for "insignificant" infractions. Sometimes I find felony warrants, dope, DUI, or a multitude of more serious crimes.

I base my issuance of citations on what it will take to change behavior. Since Dan has been so forthcoming about his driving history, I can tell you many police officers will look at his driving history and decide that while they stopped him for a minor offense they wouldn't normally issue a citation for, based on his driving history, he has a history of not following traffic law. Not to mention attitude plays a part in the situation from time to time. So in order to change behavior, he gets a cite.

Your also making the assumption that because Dan has a stock bike and a full face helmet that he must not be a criminal. Chances are he's not, but I have stopped many people who are commiting serious crimes but don't necessarily have the "token" criminal look.

And on that note, if I stop someone because they don't wear a helmet, have an '88 sporty that's taped together, with a bad weld in the neck to make it a chopper, aren't I profiling (the word our liberal media likes to throw around)?

Bottom line is, good crooks know what we look for. My job is to out smart them. I also wouldn't have let Dan point his cell phone anywhere. Now I really don't care if dan photos me or videos me doing my job. I do a good job whether I'm on camera or not. Why? because they now make cell phones that hold several small calibre (.22's / .32's) bullets. They work like phones and will also send several rounds down range. Now, I would have told Dan he could take as many photos of his helmet as he wanted, as soon as I'm gone. Again, YOU don't have to worry about that. I do.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:06 AM   #37

By the way - I have stopped fifty HA. Most of em shook my hand when I was done. I don't think they are good people. I was firm and fair when I spoke to them, they gave me mutual respect, asked follow up questions about laws in my state. Asked for directions ( I gave them a better highway to take to Sturgis). I gave their prospects a little bit a flack and warned the guys at the end of the group for their "minor" traffic violation.

Why is it my contact with an outlaw biker group can go better than Dan's helmet stop?

Old 08-06-2009, 03:21 AM   #38

Ø Colorado Eye Protection Law: If you are riding on or operating a Colorado motorcycle, you are required by law to wear eye protection.

C.R.S.A. § 42-4-232

§ 42-4-232. Minimum safety standards for motorcycles and motor-driven cycles

(1) No person shall operate any motorcycle or motor-driven cycle on any public highway in this state unless such person and any passenger thereon is wearing goggles or eyeglasses with lenses made of safety glass or plastic.

(2) The department shall adopt standards and specifications for the design of goggles and eyeglasses.

VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 08-06-2009, 05:08 AM   #39

Hey Ells, was that cop in Custer a "Babe" like this one........ROFLMAO

Old 08-06-2009, 07:46 AM   #40
Advanced Member

Move to North Carolina. No eye protection required.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:47 AM   #41

You can say what you want but that was a BS stop. I, and I believe most people have the utmost respect for police officers. The fact that an officer has had bad experince on the job should not influence how they treat someone in a non related issue. Officers need to treat every issue as it's own situation. That's not to say that an officers experience should be forgotten. It should be used as knowledge.

To me it is clear that pulling off where he did wasn't a case of an ambush. That area was open.

If Dan's visor was as he showed, his eyes were protected by both the visor and the windshield.

Personally I always say yes sir, and no sir because I know that an officer can always come up with something to give a summons for. Maybe Dan wouldn't have gotten the ticket if he handled himself that way but the actions with the camera should not have influenced the officers decision in whether or not a ticket should be written. I think if I was the officer I'd be laughing to myself about him with the camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yridehd
Alright - I'll be the one as some one in Law Enforcement to step up and say something:

She stopped you for a violation. You admit it. Cops jobs are to make contact with people who are commiting offenses. Sometimes will use a small thing in order to find out what people are up to. I have had many drug arrests, DUI's, and warrants out of trucks not having mud flaps which are required by Idaho State Law.

If you walked around on my traffic stop I would address it too. On a stop I am responsible for EVERYONES safety. I require motorists and passengers to stay in their vehicles, and motorcyclists to sit on or lean against their bikes. She let you walk around farther than I would have and I'm pretty low key.

I would wonder why you didn't pull over immediately. I realize in your world of whatever you do Dan you don't have to think about it, but sometimes criminals get off the road and into a parking lot or unpopulated area in order to ambush the officer. YOU don't have to think about things like that, I (and she) does.

I'm sorry everyone here finds her physique amusing. I'll admit, I don't want her on my department's recruitment poster but I've done this job long enough not to judge that. Maybe she just spent 10 years as a Detective dealing with child molestors. Interviewing them, pretending to be their friend in order to get a confession. No stress there is there. Dealing with dead childrent that have been raped or molested. Maybe five years ago she was in great shape and like my brother, responded to a crash where a logging truck had tipped over on a highway. Maybe the logs had crushed the driver and the only thing she could do was hold his hand while he died, even though she wanted to do more. Maybe she's just a detective filling in a patrol spot because and officer was killed and she wants to make sure everyone on his team can go to the funeral. Bottom line is I'll bet she responds better when the bullets start flying than you do. I'm in no place to judge why she looks how she does, but many others seem able to.

Lastly, she was professional with you. At least the contact I saw. She was matter of fact yes. She wanted to make sure you understood ticket and you were being passive aggresive about it.

I have seen several of your posts about your tickets Dan. There are a couple of common denominators in your threads: Your violation never warrants being pulled over and THE COP always has an attitude. Maybe the problem is yours. Go fight your ticket. You have your right to do that - I don't care. But to you and all of you who chose to partake in this, go on a ride-along with your local agency. If you haven't it will open your eyes.

For Dan, why didn't you talk to her. She's an adult and your an adult. You could have spoken to her plainly, maybe apologized for not pulling over right away. But you chose the whole passive aggressive, "I'd like to remain silent". I'll extend you and invitation to come over to my neck of the woods and I will take you on a ride-along so maybe you can get a different perspective.

Other than that, there are plenty of cop slamming blogs and sites, why don't you go post your video and diatribes over there.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:17 AM   #42

I was recenty driving my pickup pulling my motorcycle trailer in Georgia and was litup by a Deputy for not having a tag on the trailer.(not required in SC)Instead of stopping on the interstate I proceded to the next offramp(about 2 miles away)because I wanted to pull over in safer location.NOTHING was said about it and the Deputy was very PROFESSIONAL and WITHOUT ATTITUDE.
LEOs have a dangerous job,but above all else,they are public servants,something I think some(not all) forget.Professional appearance as well as attitude are requirements for the job.
As far as any personal problems,leave them at home,just as you should leave work problems at the job.
I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes,but I have been there done that. I know it is a thankless job but that doesn't entitle anyone the right to harass another.Laws are supposed to be enfored as written in their entirerty,not interpreted to fit the situation.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:31 AM   #43
Top Contributor

On the pull over immediately issue:

I tell my daughter (17) emphatically to not pull over, unless it is a clearly marked vehicle that she can clearly see in the light, until she gets to a public place or my home.

I realize this was a clearly marked vehicle BUT, I would have done exactly what Dan did and pull to a spot outside of traffic for not only my safety, but the officers....with the blue light flashing and all the rubber-neckers, it creates an incredible hazard for not only the stopped vehicles, but the officer and citizen. My personal opinion, and its only that, is that Dan did the best thing here by pulling over in a safe area.......Now, I would have yes maamed and no-maamed her to death and told her I was concerned for her safety etc etc....but that's me......expecting you to do that, Dan would be like expecting CactusJack to have a white Christmas at his house

Back to my daughter.. we have once or twice a year..the blue light impersonators around here. If an individual officer doesn't understand why a teenage girl, or anyone for that matter, would do this...they are sorely misinformed.

I have done ride alongs with traffic patrol up to intensive probation officer visits in places that I can't even imagine people living in...........I sincerely appreciate what our law enforcement officers do and DO NOT want their job , I thank you all who do it honorably.

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Old 08-06-2009, 08:43 AM   #44

Wow, when I started reading this I didn't think it would turn this way.

I can understand your point yridehd. Please don't take this as a jab at officers or a personal thing. I just want to ask, other than your obvious committment and devotion to your service (thank you by the way) I wonder why you so fervently defend someone you do not know.

I understand that perhaps the jabs at this particular officer may have gone a little far but could it be possible that she is one of those "grumpy" cops that we all know exist. Perhaps she has a bias against riders and looks for something to pick on. Perhaps not and perhaps all the officers in the area have been warned to look out for Dan. Sorry Dan but you ain't exactly got a squeaky clean driving record.

Just asking.

That said Dan I wonder if there are any houses for sale in your neighborhood cause she had time to look for you. Not to mention that her eyes are top notch to see your cracked helmet visor. I don't know how the LEOs keep all the laws straight. Seems to me that that law would be way down on the list of ones to remember unless she was a rider, knows a rider, or has stopped a lot of riders before (going back to my previous statement of bias).

Old 08-06-2009, 08:44 AM   #45
VBA Founder

Hmmm...why am I surprised that Dan got stopped in Denver? Hell, he got stopped the first 5 minutes after we arrived in Custer. Cop magnet? Hell, Dan is a friggin' black hole for cops.

Being a member of the Texas Blue Knights and knowing many of the cops in my county, I'd say you wouldn't have to worry, in my area about getting pulled over for having your visor up. I ride all the time with my visor up.

Truth be known, she probably had a fight with her "husband/SO/butch/whatever" that morning and was not in a good mood. Also, IMHO Dan, if you would have just cooperated a little, you probably would have just gotten a warning. But, you know the Denver area better than I do.

Here in Tyler, TX, you probably wouldn't have been pulled over at all. Also, law enforcement here would have had no problem with you stopping on a side street.

I think she just needs to get laid. You Dan, were the logical candidate.
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip