Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 02-06-2011, 02:32 PM   #31
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Victory and HD

didn't mean to Greg!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-06-2011, 02:37 PM   #32

Victory and HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
didn't mean to Greg!!
What???!!!!!

You give up that easy????!!!

Must be a football game on today or something!

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 02-06-2011, 02:44 PM   #33
Top Contributor

Victory and HD

I have never been a fan of Harleys or Victory's but if they were the only two manufacturers of motorcycles in the world and roughly the same price my engineering background would sway me towards the Victory. Although the Victory salesmans comments were over the top in some remarks he does have some really valid points on how the two motors are constructed.
My 2 cents.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:01 PM   #34

Victory and HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgeorge
I watched all the videos. Very interesting.
There is one thing he mentioned I would want clarification on.
He said the HD oil pump provides 3-8 psi. That seems very low, and if true, I can see why HD has an overheating problem.
On the other hand he stated that the Victory oil pump was 50 psi.
The difference seems huge. Is that realistic.
That is at an idle, as soon as you bring the revs up Im sure the Harley oil pump jumps up to a comparible range.
When I installed an oil gauge on my bike this summer I was surprised at how low the pressure is at an idle on my bike, 5-10 psi when its at operating temperature. As soon as the revs come up it jumps to about 70psi. And on a hot day it will run at around 30-40 psi. On a cold motor in the fall Ive seen it at over 90 when I first start it.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 02-06-2011, 08:21 PM   #35
Sr. Contributor

Victory and HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch
Quote:
Originally Posted by loafer

Well I wasn't saying everything, as it would get boring to quite a few in a short time.
Knowing your competition, and being able to figure out your customer's personality, is a predominate factor.
Being able to sell yourself and then the brightest points of your product or services. Knowing how to answer the questions without naming your competitor or putting their product and services down, goes a long way in letting the customer feel you are the one to do business with.
There are lots of variables in trying to sell something and being successful at it. Just saying... :)
The problem is, you are expecting your customers to be educated about what the competition is and has. Such is not the case many times. Furthermore, If it were me, I would phrase it as a ben franklin comparison without commentary. Let the prospective buyer make up their own mind. This is a tried and true sales tactic. In fact, it works well if you have the buyer do it on a piece of paper. No negativity, just facts. I worked that way with computers. Of course some might say it's TMI and sometimes it was, but at least they couldn't walk away and say they didn't know after talking to me.
Ponch, When I finished talking to a potential customer, they were well informed. I didn't sell everyone, but my reputation as being straight forward had people seeking me out from current customers. And it is possible to talk about HD (the other guy) without mentioning their name, and it is possible to make comparisons, highlighting the pluses of the Victory without putting HD down.
I've had many items at my disposal to sell my customers. And believe me I didn't have to lie to any of them. In fact, people would sometimes pay a little more to me for the product and services I offered. In fact the few customers that left me for the competition over price, all came back when the competition couldn't match the product or services I offered. I enjoyed friendships with all of my customers, and never did them wrong. I believe they appreciated my being honest with them. Not bragging, just saying, not all people that make a living selling products, have to lie. ;)
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-06-2011, 08:50 PM   #36
Sr. Contributor

Victory and HD

Quote:
Quote:

The problem is, you are expecting your customers to be educated about what the competition is and has. Such is not the case many times. Furthermore, If it were me, I would phrase it as a ben franklin comparison without commentary. Let the prospective buyer make up their own mind. This is a tried and true sales tactic. In fact, it works well if you have the buyer do it on a piece of paper. No negativity, just facts. I worked that way with computers. Of course some might say it's TMI and sometimes it was, but at least they couldn't walk away and say they didn't know after talking to me.
Ponch, When I finish talking to a potential customer, they were well informed. I didn't sell everyone, but my reputation as being straight forward had people seeking me out from current customers. And it is possible to talk about HD (the other guy) without mentioning their name, and it is possible to make comparisons, highlighting the pluses of the Victory without putting HD down.
I've had many items at my disposal to sell my customers. And believe me I didn't have to lie to any of them. In fact, people would sometimes pay a little more to me for the product and services I offered. In fact the few customers that left me for the competition over price, all came back when the competition couldn't match the product or services I offered. I enjoyed friendships with all of my customers, and never did them wrong. I believe they appreciated my being honest with them. Not bragging, just saying, not all people that make a living selling products, have to lie. ;)
I wasn't a salesman. I was a tech in a 3 man shop, so we had to do everything. The competition for Apple is anything Windows. I always gave the facts, even if they didn't favor Apple, I never charged for work I didn't do, nor did I do work that wasn't necessary. It did cause some friction as he actually said every computer that comes in has a hardware problem. Being a tech, I knew that wasn't true and and I told him so and said I wouldn't do it. I just won't screw people over.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 02-06-2011, 08:58 PM   #37
Sr. Contributor

Victory and HD

Quote:
Quote:

Ponch, When I finish talking to a potential customer, they were well informed. I didn't sell everyone, but my reputation as being straight forward had people seeking me out from current customers. And it is possible to talk about HD (the other guy) without mentioning their name, and it is possible to make comparisons, highlighting the pluses of the Victory without putting HD down.
I wasn't a salesman. I was a tech in a 3 man shop, so we had to do everything. The competition for Apple is anything Windows. I always gave the facts, even if they didn't favor Apple, I never charged for work I didn't do, nor did I do work that wasn't necessary. It did cause some friction as he actually said every computer that comes in has a hardware problem. Being a tech, I knew that wasn't true and and I told him so and said I wouldn't do it. I just won't screw people over.
I'm glad to hear that.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 02-06-2011, 10:58 PM   #38

Victory and HD

Back to the top. . . Very interesting stuff. I haven't been looking for a new ride since I'm quite happy with my Nomad. I don't expect to be looking until this one wears out, but the Victory would be one that I would look at when the time comes. (if the time comes).

2006 Vulcan 1600 Classic "George III" (Patricia's)
2006 Vulcan 1600 Nomad "Grace" (Mark's)
Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
"Irish" @ Maricopa County Chapter of B.A.C.A.
Phoenix, AZ

Old 02-06-2011, 11:32 PM   #39
Top Contributor

Victory and HD

After watching the videos.....I learned a lot considering I'm not all that mechanical to begin with. I don't think it is a surprise that HD continues to use "old" technology....because their customers like and want it that way. The Victory guy makes that point when mentioning the HD V-Rod. "Newer" (more rice-like) technology that HD owners turned their noses up at in droves.

I think most HD owners buy one because of the nostalgia and lifestyle that comes part and parcel with the purchase of one. Most HD owners, if pressed, would probably admit that reliability, maintenance costs et al, while certainly important factors in considering any bike purchase, take a back seat to the sheer "coolness" of owning one. Personally speaking....I'm well past that...and just want a reliable bike I can ride the hell out of that won't make me go broke... ! However....if I were a wealthy man with no financial worries.....hell ya I'd own one!

Our Nomads have their weak points as does any bike. With the CC's they have, it is almost criminal that they can't produce more HP and torque than they do....hence all the intake mods that are so popular among us. The ride-ability and comfort of my Nomad is very much appreciated....but again....with many mods to improve upon said comfort (seat, risers, etc.)

I don't know why HD put that V-Rod motor in that fugly frame. If they were smart...they would begin to develop a line of cruisers using that engine (or an even more advanced version) in the more eye-appealing frames. I could easily see that Victory motor in the frame of an Ultra Classic! They may not be popular at first...but having them sitting there in the dealership, touting the obvious advantages, and leaving it up to the buyers to decide, I'll bet in time HD could slowly begin to stem the tide of that old-school mentality that to a large degree has held them back from taking advantage of the newer technologies.

I don't think you will ever change the minds of those HD owners who stay close to home day riding, but those who like to ride cross-country would surely be appreciative of a new-and-improved HD bagger built for the longer haul. I would market it like that too...to allow time for it to gain some acceptance. In time more and more buyers would lean toward that and it would eventually win the day.....but that's JMHO.

As it's been stated....HD is certainly doing something right....they sell one hell of a lot of motorcycles, regardless of their maintenance record. If Kawasaki had ANY kind of marketing department....they might sell a few more too!
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 02-07-2011, 12:24 AM   #40
Sr. Contributor

Victory and HD

Not so easy to get back up again:
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Old 02-07-2011, 12:36 AM   #41
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Victory and HD

that clipped sucked with the music.... here is the raw footage

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 02-07-2011, 07:41 AM   #42
Sr. Contributor

Victory and HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
that clipped sucked with the music.... here is the raw footage

I muted the sound...
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 02-07-2011, 10:59 AM   #43

Victory and HD

The V Rod motor is a Porsche design, and is the most up to date engine they provide. I like them myself, and will have to try one out some day. I think a lot of it is the nostalgic appeal of a traditional looking V twin motor in a bike that Harley owners like. I like the look myself, and to me its still a great looking engine design. The Indian Chiefs are one of my favorites, but in all honesty I doubt Id want a real original one with all of thier old school technology.
The Vulcan Drifter can be made to look quite good and have a lot more of the modern designs built into them. The new Kingswood Indians are also really nice, although I can't see too many people
spending that kind of cash on a bike.
They have been saying that the HD air cooled engines are nearing the end of the road because of the trouble meeting EPA regulations, eventually as the rules tighten up they will not be able to pass, and a new design will have to be built.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 02-07-2011, 11:16 AM   #44
Sr. Contributor

Victory and HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
The V Rod motor is a Porsche design, and is the most up to date engine they provide. I like them myself, and will have to try one out some day. I think a lot of it is the nostalgic appeal of a traditional looking V twin motor in a bike that Harley owners like. I like the look myself, and to me its still a great looking engine design. The Indian Chiefs are one of my favorites, but in all honesty I doubt Id want a real original one with all of thier old school technology.
The Vulcan Drifter can be made to look quite good and have a lot more of the modern designs built into them. The new Kingswood Indians are also really nice, although I can't see too many people
spending that kind of cash on a bike.
They have been saying that the HD air cooled engines are nearing the end of the road because of the trouble meeting EPA regulations, eventually as the rules tighten up they will not be able to pass, and a new design will have to be built.

Look at the V2K. That has more in common with a HD engine than a victory or other Kawasaki engines. Still, Kawasaki got power out of it and passed emissions. HD could tak an approach like and liquid cool the heads and the upper 1/4 of the cylinder. It still looks like an air cooled engine spare the radiator.

There are other air cooled bikes out there as well that will meet the same fate. Yamaha uses air cooled vtwins and BMW has the air cooled boxer (Actually air and oil). I know BMW is already developing a liquid cooled version, so I guess it's just a matter of time.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 02-07-2011, 12:12 PM   #45
Advanced Member

Victory and HD

My old Victory had an oil cooler and a capacity of six quarts of oil.Never ran hot even in the hottest days of our Louisiana summer.Harley should take the hint.