Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-15-2011, 09:02 PM   #31

Cost of Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by usranger74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili

All I can say is you both better not move to Manitoba.

2001 Nomad

500 Collision Deduc
500 Comp Deduc
200,000 3rd party liability

I qualify for the highest discount rate which leaves me paying $1582 for 2011. If I had no discount $2226.

I'm friends with our broker and I always mention he should put on his mask and point a gun at me so the rest of the transaction feels right.

These rates are based on a 5 month riding season so taking the insurance off the bike outside of May-Sept saves you no money any longer as it had in the past.

But you don't have to worry about medical insurance, right?
While we do have "free" healthcare all medical costs from a motor vehicle accident are charged to the insurer if they know the injuries were from an MVA. So technically we are paying for medical insurance in that fee.

Doug Engstrom
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2001 Vulcan Nomad 1500FI, (Sold at 83,000 km)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-15-2011, 11:43 PM   #32

Cost of Insurance

I do not have medical on my bike insurance....it would be a duplication of my $1200 per month medical policy.

There...I think that evens the playing field with our Canadian brothers!
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 03-16-2011, 08:03 PM   #33

Cost of Insurance

I'll get rid of any unwanted cigars for you. ;) Our tags are about $40.00 here, which isn't to bad. I thought I had a high premium, Im glad I don't live in Manitoba.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 03-17-2011, 05:29 PM   #34
Sr. Contributor

Cost of Insurance

we don't seem to have a very evil grin.... I wonda' why that is?

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 03-18-2011, 02:47 PM   #35

Cost of Insurance

Recieved my renewal form for my plates this morning..... :-/ 40.50$ for the tags, insurance (560$) & the rest taxes for a total of 633.55$.... bend over, somebody is going to drive me home ::) ::)
2012 Ebony Black Kawasaski Concours 14

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-18-2011, 04:21 PM   #36
Sr. Contributor

Cost of Insurance

OT: I filled the diesel which was 1/2 tank down, took 20 gallons for 99 bucks... This chit keeps up and ain't nuthing movin to market, cuz no farmers will afford diesl for farm machines.

The dammned paper pushers best larn how ta' chomp on paper eh?

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 03-18-2011, 04:22 PM   #37

Cost of Insurance

I need to renew my insurance within three weeks $851.00 and plates are $40.00 by June.
We could sure use some of those american rates up here.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 03-18-2011, 04:32 PM   #38
Sr. Contributor

Cost of Insurance

That CDN rate sucks. My bike has been registered all winter, but i get ins to do. It's around 500+ something, but I get to make 3 maybe 4 payments. My costs are high do to a 05 crash and then 06 theft.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 03-19-2011, 01:09 PM   #39

Cost of Insurance

For those of you who are retired and on Medicare they will not pay anything on a vehicle accident for personal injury. Then a lot of the medicare supplements will only pick up the excess of what medicare doesn't pay. When medicare denies it most of the supplemental coverages will also deny the claim. Check very carefully to make sure you have some sort of personal medical coverage on your bikes and vehicles. Disclaimer I do not sell insurance nor represent any insurance company however this is what I have learned from experience and the fact my wife works in the insurance business.

DC

VBA/KawaNOW #01625
Christian Motorcyclists Assoc.
Wheels Of Destiny Chapter #735
PA Wilds NE/Eastern Canada regional rally July 2012
Eureka Springs National 2015
Rolling Thunder Washington DC 2016
NE US / E Canada Rally - Mont Tremblant, QC 2016
VRA Eastern National at Maggie Valley 2017
99 Nomad G1 gone but never forgotten traded 4/8/17 for a 2017 Indian Roadmaster

Old 03-19-2011, 02:22 PM   #40

Cost of Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by minst7877
For those of you who are retired and on Medicare they will not pay anything on a vehicle accident for personal injury. Then a lot of the medicare supplements will only pick up the excess of what medicare doesn't pay. When medicare denies it most of the supplemental coverages will also deny the claim. Check very carefully to make sure you have some sort of personal medical coverage on your bikes and vehicles. Disclaimer I do not sell insurance nor represent any insurance company however this is what I have learned from experience and the fact my wife works in the insurance business.

You said "vehicle" accidents. Does that also mean cars? I am not saying I don't believe this, but it is hard to believe.

DC

Old 03-19-2011, 03:29 PM   #41

Cost of Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by usranger74
Quote:
Originally Posted by minst7877

You said "vehicle" accidents. Does that also mean cars? I am not saying I don't believe this, but it is hard to believe.

DC
Yes any vehicle accident

VBA/KawaNOW #01625

Old 03-19-2011, 09:03 PM   #42
Top Contributor

Cost of Insurance

I paid $1054 last year in Ontario. Ridiculous but what you do ? Thats the best price I could find. 59 yr old riding a bike for 43 years with no accidents.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:58 AM   #43

Cost of Insurance

Medicare Coverage

I contaced medicare and inquired about coverage for a motor cycle accident (there answer is below)

The answer is a little complex, but the long and short of it is:

Medicare is NEVER primary - if you can file a claim with aginst another insurance co, you must do that. Howerver, that does not mean Medicare will not over MC acciednts.

If you can make a clarim agienst a third party (you insurance co or the other guy's insurance co), you must do that befoer you can file a claim with medicare. So, if you are a fault and do not have medical coverage on your MC, you can use medicare. If you are not at fault and the other guy has lib. insurance, you have to file a claim with them but if they do not cover all your cost you can then file a claim with medicare.

======================================

Thank you for visiting medicare.gov. This is in reply to your question regarding Medicare coverage for accident.

Medicare is the secondary payer when auto, no-fault, or liability insurance, or workers' compensation is available as the primary payer.

No-fault or Liability insurance pays first for services related to an accident claim. However, Medicare may make a conditional payment and pay as primary. When a settlement is reached, Medicare will recover the conditional payment from your settlement.

No-fault insurance pays for health care services that result from an injury to you regardless of who is at fault for causing the accident. Types of no-fault insurance include:
• Auto
• Homeowners
• Commercial insurance plans

Liability insurance is coverage that protects against claims for negligence, inappropriate action, or inaction that results in injury to someone or damage to property. Liability insurance includes, but is not limited to:
• Homeowners
• Auto
• Product
• Malpractice
• Uninsured Motorist
• Underinsured motorist liability insurance

A conditional payment is a payment that Medicare makes for services that another payer is responsible to pay. If you receive services related to an Auto, no-fault, liability, or workers' compensation insurance case, your doctor or other health care providers must try to get payments from the insurance company before billing Medicare. If the insurance company will not pay or will not pay promptly, then Medicare may make a conditional payment.

If your auto, no-fault, or liability plan denies your claim, you should have your provider submit the claim along with a copy of the denial to Medicare for a conditional payment. If your no-fault, auto, or liability plan does not pay your bills within 120 days after your first claim is filed with the plan, your provider may submit the claim to Medicare for a conditional payment.

This conditional payment is made so that you will not have to use your own money to pay the bill. This payment is "conditional" because it must be repaid to Medicare when a settlement, judgment, or award is reached. When a settlement is reached, Medicare will recover the conditional payment from your settlement.

If you need further assistance, please feel free to e-mail us again. You can also visit us on the web at www.mymedicare.gov to review personalized information about your Medicare coverage. Other useful resources, such as Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs), can be found at www.medicare.gov. Or you may call us at 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227) to speak with a representative. TTY users should call 1-877-486-2048 for assistance

Old 03-21-2011, 12:49 PM   #44

Cost of Insurance

Quote:
Medicare is the secondary payer when auto, no-fault, or liability insurance, or workers' compensation is available.
Medicare is secondary to who if you have no Personal Injury Protection on your car or bike? Your supplemental medicare coverage is exactly that "supplemental" after medicare pays. Medicare denies the supplemental will also deny.

Quote:
If your auto, no-fault, or liability plan denies your claim, you should have your provider submit the claim along with a copy of the denial to Medicare for a conditional payment
Conditional means they expect to get reimbursed from someone.

Quote:
This payment is "conditional" because it must be repaid to Medicare when a settlement, judgment, or award is reached.
Who is the settlement coming from? You have no coverage

PIP Personal Injury Protection covers you the insured no one else. No PIP = no coverage on you.
Personal Liability covers others in or on the vehicle.
Like I said someone other than Medicare will ultimately pay this bill.

No Fault = you are screwed if anything happens.

Bad experiences have taught me these lessons and my goal here is that you all talk to your insurance representatives and know exactly what you have. Please don't learn this the hard way. You dump your bike for what ever reason and nobody else is involved who's at fault? In the insurers eyes you are.

VBA/KawaNOW #01625

Old 03-21-2011, 02:44 PM   #45

Cost of Insurance

Yes, it is complex. And, yes it is the Govt. and there is red tape.

But, the bottom line is Medicare will cover any accident (car, fall off a cliff, motorcycle, fall down the stairs, fall from a bike etc) as long as you first use other means of getting the cost covered.

And, if those legal means do not pay for all (or any) of the medical cost, then Medicare coverage will apply.

Worst case - I have a vehicle accident and I am at fault and I do not have medical coverage (no third party) - I will be covered by Medicare. Will there be problems - I sure. Will I have red tape - most like. But, I am covered.

Medicare is not just for illness - it will cover Motor Vehicle Accidents - after exhausting their party claims.

Now, having said all of that, I still will carry my normal health insurance (but not medical coverage on my MC Insurance) past 65 just to take some of the hassle out of life