Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 04-15-2011, 12:36 PM   #31
Mega-Contributor

Front Crash Bars - You won't believe this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewindgy
I tend to agree the newer crash guards are almost just there for looks. When I popped that little old lady the crash guards folded likea cheap suit! I pulled the ones side back with bare hands! The tubing isn't that weak - it's the way they mount it to the frame work - the tabs bend real easy. Of course the crash guard folded up into the tank! I think the ones on the 1500 are better as they are one piece? However, the Kawaski one's I put on my 800 Drifter state right on the instructuions that they are basically for show and not for crash protection ( and they are a one peice design) - I still have the instructions - I should go and read it again - I remember i had a good laugh the first time when I opened the box!!
That's Kawasaki's legalese. They don't want to be sued by someone under the impression that crash bars will protect them from impact. They do however mitigate damage if the bike is tipped over, which is all they are intended to do, besides look pretty.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-15-2011, 12:56 PM   #32

If I remember right, last year when Kris was on his way to the Cortez rally, someone backed into his bike and the crash bar folded up on him. He went to a auto shop and thy stuck another pipe in it and bent it back into place.

I'm sure they help on a light drop, but I think if there is any forward movement, they tend to fold.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 04-15-2011, 01:30 PM   #33
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoeney
CJ, Your avatar pic is still scaring the bejeezus out of us!
I like the previous one better.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 04-15-2011, 01:32 PM   #34
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Motorcyclist
If I remember right, last year when Kris was on his way to the Cortez rally, someone backed into his bike and the crash bar folded up on him. He went to a auto shop and thy stuck another pipe in it and bent it back into place.

I'm sure they help on a light drop, but I think if there is any forward movement, they tend to fold.
if they are too rigid the frame will bend when contact happens.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Old 04-15-2011, 03:10 PM   #35
Advanced Member

if they are too rigid the frame will bend when contact happens. [/quote]

Say what?! Holy crap, we are in big problems if our frames start bending if our crash bars are rigid. Now, I will grant you that the frames do bend pretty easily now a days, but that has nothing to do with the difference of rigid crash bars and bendable crash bars. The frames just bend because they are made with the thinnest metal possible to make them a safe ride and to get the biggest profit for the motorcycle manufacture, but not one shred of ounce extra metal in the frames to make them super strong like they used to.

I think it just comes down to everything made nowadays is made as cheap as possible, it's the way our society has gone. Make something just barely strong enough to get by so the companies can maximize every penny for maximum profit. We have become a 'disposable' society, if something happens and it happens to be a vehicle, just total it and get a new one. Or if it's some other type of product, just throw it out and buy a new one. See any radio, VCR or TV repairmen anymore? You ever have anything go wrong with your washing machine, dryer, dishwasher, etc? You can either pay someone to come in and replace a circuit / motherboard, or for another hundred buck$, you can just go buy a new one.

VBA #1608
KZR #25622

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-15-2011, 03:12 PM   #36
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham

if they are too rigid the frame will bend when contact happens.
Quote:
Say what?! Holy crap, we are in big problems if our frames start bending if our crash bars are rigid. Now, I will grant you that the frames do bend pretty easily now a days, but that has nothing to do with the difference of rigid crash bars and bendable crash bars. The frames just bend because they are made with the thinnest metal possible to make them a safe ride and to get the biggest profit for the motorcycle manufacture, but not one shred of ounce extra metal in the frames to make them super strong like they used to.

I think it just comes down to everything made nowadays is made as cheap as possible, it's the way our society has gone. Make something just barely strong enough to get by so the companies can maximize every penny for maximum profit. We have become a 'disposable' society, if something happens and it happens to be a vehicle, just total it and get a new one. Or if it's some other type of product, just throw it out and buy a new one. See any radio, VCR or TV repairmen anymore? You ever have anything go wrong with your washing machine, dryer, dishwasher, etc? You can either pay someone to come in and replace a circuit / motherboard, or for another hundred buck$, you can just go buy a new one.
I said too rigid and I stand by my comment.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 04-15-2011, 03:39 PM   #37
Advanced Member

Hey, stand by your comment all you want. Like I said, I'm just talking about my opinion. Doesn't mean I'm right and your wrong. Just my thoughts, that's why it's called a "forum".

God only knows, I do think I was wrong once before in my life, but it was so long ago, I can't remember what it was about....... <smile>

VBA #1608
KZR #25622

Old 04-15-2011, 03:45 PM   #38
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham
Hey, stand by your comment all you want. Like I said, I'm just talking about my opinion. Doesn't mean I'm right and your wrong. Just my thoughts, that's why it's called a "forum".

God only knows, I do think I was wrong once before in my life, but it was so long ago, I can't remember what it was about....... <smile>
And my point of view is from someone that is technical and fixed things for a living, although not as much hands on anymore as much as digital/virtual non-sense. The same logic applies though and so does physics and engineering. ;)
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 04-15-2011, 11:31 PM   #39

I did see a set of Lindby bars today post-accident and they were for the most part unscathed other than a few scratches. Appears that a Ford Explorer blew a front tire and then smacked the left K rail and then crossed to the right in front of the rider who smacked the rear bumper shoving his forkes, fender etc backward. Explorer ended up pointing the wrong direction on the driver's side with the roof against the right K-rail. (Seat belted occupants walked away uninjured, but needing a change of laundry) From the looks of it, the post-impact skid was about 30 feet. Helmetless rider escaped with only a few spots of road rash at the knees and elbows and a ride to the trauma center for X-rays, scans and whatever they could bill him for. Very lucky fellow, apparently very strong bars. I'll try to get the phone pics I took posted tomorrow evening.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:14 PM   #40
Advanced Member

I ran outy of gas along I/90 in MT. on my sprtster once and the guy on CJ's avavtar pic stopped and helped me.. He said he thought he had some gas At his house, I thought he was going to ask me to ride along. All I could think of was squeal like a pig . He never asked, thank god. I had already decided to push it 10 miles to the next exit if he did. THe guy returned with a gas can and gave it to me I grabbed a 10 or 20$ bill and tried to give it to him . He said no, just pass the favor on . So some time first impressions aren't correct

Old 04-18-2011, 02:07 PM   #41
Advanced Member

"and gave it to me"

Not even going to ask......................... ;-)

VBA #1608
KZR #25622

Old 04-18-2011, 11:02 PM   #42

The Lindby bars on the 1600 classic I was on in 09 when it went down did not fair any better than Scott's did. Folded and ground about a third of the way thru. Don't like that three point mounting system they use and that top radiator bolt that it uses is pretty small and bends easily.

DC

VBA/KawaNOW #01625
Christian Motorcyclists Assoc.
Wheels Of Destiny Chapter #735
PA Wilds NE/Eastern Canada regional rally July 2012
Eureka Springs National 2015
Rolling Thunder Washington DC 2016
NE US / E Canada Rally - Mont Tremblant, QC 2016
VRA Eastern National at Maggie Valley 2017
99 Nomad G1 gone but never forgotten traded 4/8/17 for a 2017 Indian Roadmaster