Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 06-03-2008, 03:24 PM   #31
Mega-Contributor

How many Nomads out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
ubiquitous?

look at the literary man!!
Dam rite. My cawlige digree didnet go to waist.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-03-2008, 03:28 PM   #32
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
These responses make me curious. What is wrong with the Nomad? Is it just because it **isn't a Harley**? These bikes must be the world's best-kept secret.
With 50% of the US market share, perhaps HD is not a good comparison. HD outsells every metric bike. So, what other bikes out there are reasonable alternatives to the Nomad. Although they are not dressed cruisers, I see many more VTXs than Nomads. And the same goes for the Stratoliner and Road Stars. I don't see many C90s around here though. Yet I cannot imagine that these are better bikes. I guess I'm just surprised that Kawa does not sell more Nomads. But then I don't really care b/c I could not be happier.
But if the Nomad were more popular, there would be more accessories available and the likelihood of the continued longevity of the Nomad would be better.

I just want a rear fender trim for the 1600 Nomad. I can't find one.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 06-03-2008, 03:43 PM   #33
Top Contributor

correction! I seen another one while sitting in line on a bridge, 2 car between us thought about going around the cars but thought better. It did have N.J. plates on so I wasn't going to follow to far.
74,010miles
VBA #299
Her's 10 900LT 36,700

09 Bath NY.
10 Lake George NY.
11 National Maggie Valley NC.
12 Pa Wilds (Wellsboro) Pa.
14 Lincoln NH.
17 National Lake George NY.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:57 PM   #34

Without getting into the whole right-to-work issue, I think there may be a regional bias against Metric bikes in some states/regions due to the higher prevailence of organized labor. Right wrong or indifferent, if you are a dues paying member of a labor organization and your workplace is as well, it is highly likely that your co-workers would give you an endless "Ration of
Sh!t" for riding in on what we have come to know as a fine metric steed and not a domesticly-produced machine.
Here in the South the concentration of organized labor members is lower, so maybe the peer pressure is less and allows more folks to escape the magnetic attraction of the HD marketing blitz?

Lest anyone think I am throwing down on Unions, I am not. I am a dues paying member of the United Steelworkers <USW>(subsequent to the merger with Paper Allied Chemical and Energy Workers <PACE>, and prior to that the Oil Chemical & Atomic Workers International <OCAW>) Prior to that I was a Union Pipefitter.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:10 PM   #35

We have a bunch of Nomads in the Southeastern U.S. I see them frequently. I personally know quite a few Nomad riders right here in this small southern town. Sure, Harleys outnumber them, but what's the big deal. In 50 years of riding, I've owned five Harleys. That wasn't a big deal either. Simply liked the bikes, just as I liked my BSAs, Triumphs, Honda and Suzuki. Ride what ya want and be happy with it. Nomads ROCK!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-03-2008, 04:18 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman
I hardley ever see one. Maybe about as often as I see an old Volkswagen Bug.

See old bugs on the road every day....think I saw one Nomad here close to the house...zooming down the street about a month or so ago!

Old 06-03-2008, 04:27 PM   #37

I see very few Nads in my area, that's one of the reasons I'm soooo anxious for the Eastern Rally date to get here. Just imagine 30 or so Nomads all in the same place, at the same time!!! First it's Elkins, WVA., then the world. ------- They're coming to take me away, ho ho.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:43 PM   #38

I have only seen two other nomads in person, other than at the dealer. One is someone that works in the same office complex as I do, and the reason I bought mine, I have never met him/her. The other I happened to see while driving into DC one morning.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:47 PM   #39

In Maine so far I have seen 2........and saw 2 used ones at the Dealer .... I also see more HDs on the ROAD then I ever did,, HD has a GREAT following..They heard them in like sheep with all the GOODIES at TOP $$$$.. To Me THAT shows LOYALITY to THEIR BRAND,, SOMETHING more Metric riders NEED to DO!!!! I ride with several HDs,, LOVE the Styles,LOVE the EXHAUST sound,,, BUT The NOMAD(my first Kaw) was a GREAT choice for me..... GREAT handling as you all know, I have my Logo on the Tank and when I get a TRUNK it will have the NOMAD logo as well.....MY opinion is if you dont like me because I ride a METRIC your not going to like me if I ride a HD...SO I ride WHAT I WANT and if someone doesnt like it well They Can KISS MY SKINNY BUTT LOL................RIDE SFAE...Rich

Old 06-03-2008, 04:47 PM   #40
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW
Without getting into the whole right-to-work issue, I think there may be a regional bias against Metric bikes in some states/regions due to the higher prevailence of organized labor. Right wrong or indifferent, if you are a dues paying member of a labor organization and your workplace is as well, it is highly likely that your co-workers would give you an endless "Ration of
Sh!t" for riding in on what we have come to know as a fine metric steed and not a domesticly-produced machine.
Here in the South the concentration of organized labor members is lower, so maybe the peer pressure is less and allows more folks to escape the magnetic attraction of the HD marketing blitz?

Lest anyone think I am throwing down on Unions, I am not. I am a dues paying member of the United Steelworkers <USW>(subsequent to the merger with Paper Allied Chemical and Energy Workers <PACE>, and prior to that the Oil Chemical & Atomic Workers International <OCAW>) Prior to that I was a Union Pipefitter.
My oldest son is a diesel mechanic and used to work in a union shop (Teamsters). He used to get all kinds of crap from the card carrying brethren because he owns a Nissan and a Honda. Both of which were built in the USA.

You might be onto something, though LW. Good call! However, it still doesn't explain why Kawasaki doesn't try to promote the Nomad.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 06-03-2008, 04:51 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Quote:
Originally Posted by LW

My oldest son is a diesel mechanic and used to work in a union shop (Teamsters). He used to get all kinds of crap from the card carrying brethren because he owns a Nissan and a Honda. Both of which were built in the USA.

You might be onto something, though LW. Good call! However, it still doesn't explain why Kawasaki doesn't try to promote the Nomad.
CJ I agree 100% KAW does NEED to PROMOTE the NOMAD,, ITs a GREAT contender

Old 06-03-2008, 04:52 PM   #42

I haven't seen one road in RI or CT or for that matter on my trips in the northeast. I think (I could be wrong), that there isn't as much of a following in the northeast as compared the rest of the country.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:53 PM   #43

Send a message via Yahoo to ruruson1

I spent the weekend at Eureka Springs for blues fest and only saw one other Nomad and only know of 5 or 6 in the surrounding 100 miles. Two of those are owned by salesmen at the Kawasaki shop.On the up side I do get alot of comments on the nomad because its got the looks, attitude, & know how and it AIN'T an HD.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:10 PM   #44

There are three Kawasaki dealers in my area and they never seem to have a Nomad on the floor! Also I subscribe to 5 different motorcycle magazines and all the Kawasaki advertisements seem to show the Vulcan 900 or a Concours 14.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:59 PM   #45

Nomads galore around Fort Worth area.

Went to breakfast with about 13 riders last Saturday. Six were on Nomads. Three of those riders are doctors, for whatever thats worth. We go on rides to restaurants Wed & Sat with anywhere from 5 to 15 riders.

I live on a highway and I see Nomads and 900's all the time. But a Harley goes down the highway every few minutes. Usually the touring Harley bikes will wave, the others must not see me wave.