Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 10-08-2015, 08:00 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhobbs74
I agree,I'm not going through all of that trouble of dropping the bike off, then getting someone to pick me up,
I spent the time eyeballing the inventory. Kid-in-a-candy-store time for me!
Ride safe,
Smokier

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-10-2015, 05:50 PM   #47

the dealer won't let you make an appointment and just have it done? Mine took less than 30 min. start to finish

Old 10-10-2015, 09:14 PM   #48

Mine was done, dropped it off the night before and done the next day, the wiring was getting chafed but not worn through, not bad for five years with the problem. Now to look at changing out the radio for a bluetooth one.
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 10-11-2015, 04:47 PM   #49
Advanced Member

I got my call from the dealer that the repair kits are in. Going Wednesday to get it done before hitting Daytona Beach.

On the 1500, too much to list.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Power Commander 5 and Ivan-ized ECU
Chuckster's BAK
Aux Audio adapter with bluetooth receiver.
Mustang 2 up Touring Seat w/ driver and passenger backrest
Kuryakyn Longhorn highway pegs.
Kawasaki 12 volt charger
Longer 1600 meanstreak SE kickstand
Full LED Daymaker light mod.

Old 10-18-2015, 08:38 AM   #50

My 2 cents on this....This is simply Kawasaki's "CYA" move. They let you know 'Houston, we may have a problem'. That way you cant come back and try to sue Kawi. If your bike shows no sign of wire chaffing, they're going to make sure none occurs. If it does, they're going to correct it. If you're mechanically literate, you will probably take the steps yourself to 'correct' the issue. Those that are not, have the dealer to correct the problem for them. Personally, I've contacted two dealers in my area (same dealership, in different towns) After the usual 'YADA YADA YADA Bull$_ _' neither have called back to follow up. Besides the closest one to me is well over an hour ride for me. And with what I've read regarding this issue, and the 'hang times' involved? No thanks! As a retired airplane mechanic, my edumacated guess, is that the chances the bike will catch on fire are quite slim. The chances are far greater that said chaffing WILL cause a short, thereby blowing the fuse, rendering the circuit dead, causing bike to loose engine power. These bikes have no power steering, no power brakes, so you're not going to loose control. Unless you freak out and panic. Should be not much different than when you run out of gas at speed (and let's see a show of hands how many of us have gone through that!). You coast to side of road. A SEASONED RIDER (and I'm certain ALL, most, here are) could easily handle a bike under such situation to a safe stop. I took care of that issue when I first bought my bike over a year ago. It was one of the many tips I read up on after joining this forum.
BE SAFE! RIDE SAFE!

Truck-Lite LED Headlight - LED Fog Lights
Kawi Pass Floor Boards - Luverne Lowering Links
JLAudio 280/4 AMP
6.5 Speaker Adapters - JLAudio 6.5 -
JLAudio SUB
CD MagicFlex Accent Lights

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-18-2015, 09:04 AM   #51
Advanced Member

I stopped in unannounced at my dealer last week just to say hi and asked about the recall, they had a kit on the shelf with my name written on it, and they did the job while I browsed the showroom. I had already wrapped and tied my wires so I knew the easy fix was all I needed.
There are good reasons to get the recall done..... no future warranty work can be done on a vehicle that has an outstanding recall (dealer must do the recall before any warranty claim), here in Ontario a vehicle can not be sold with an outstanding recall, and an insurance company could use the "DO NOT RIDE YOUR MOTORCYCLE UNTIL THE REPAIR HAS BEEN COMPLETED" as an excuse to deny a claim.

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:14 PM   #52

Went to dealer today for recall, oil change and I had a staple in the rear tire.

Oil was changed just because the bike was warm it was easy but my wires were stripped bare. So I called to get a ride home. Of course the parts are back order so I probably won't see my bike for 2-4 weeks (I'm guessing). It is the end of the riding season so no to big of a deal and I have 2 Harleys in the garage so I guess I have to ride one of them. And I will be the getting a Michelin rear tire.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:32 PM   #53
Advanced Member

Ok, so I get the letter, call the dealer. He says can't do anything today, come down tomorrow first thing. Get you in and out. I turn down overtime, go to the dealer, guy says, "who told you to come?" "we don't have the part in yet".
So, I say, can you at least pull the tank and check the wires?
"We only get paid once for the warranty service" smh.
So, I go home, pull the tank, all looks good.
Week goes by, part comes in, go to shop, all set.
Peace Makers LEMC

Old 11-09-2015, 08:50 PM   #54

Anybody know why the Nomads are not included? Isn't the Nomad ignition and wiring harness essentially the same in that area?

Kind Regards,

Stewart
VBA #60
2009 Vulcan Nomad 1700 - Black