Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 02-23-2009, 11:12 AM   #46
Advanced Member

Darkside

21 reasons to use a car tire.

1. Available in Run Flat.
2. Longer lasting.
3. Doesn't delaminate.
4. Doesn't explode.
5. Quieter.
6. Better traction in dry.
7. Better traction in wet.
8. Better traction in snow/slush.
9. Better performance on dirt/gravel.
10. Better traction when braking.
11. Smoother ride.
12. Higher load capacity.
13. Capable of higher PSI.
14. Capable of performing with lower PSI.
15. Runs at lower tire temperature.
16. Costs less.
17. Better balanced (fewer weights required, if any at all)
18. It looks way cooler than that skinny OEM MC tire.
19. The more we ride on a CT, the more it bothers the naysayers
20. You can buy a 195/55/16 or a 205/55/16 almost
any where tires are sold. NOT A RUN FLAT. But a tire to get on down
the road. (galewing)
21. All I got them for is so that when I do a burn out and the cops stop me I can say, Look, thats a car tire mark,I'm on a motorcycle. (winged troll)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-23-2009, 02:03 PM   #47
Top Contributor

Darkside

I'm now running 38 psi. It's a little smoother than when I was running 42.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 02-23-2009, 02:04 PM   #48

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC
Darkside

Yeah its the naysayers that are giving me the reason above all of the logical reasons that you listed lonewolf. At my very mention of the CT on the rear they stood there with their noses twisted and almost giggling and telling me CT's are hard and designed for cars and MT's are soft and designed for motorcycles........blah blah he's been riding for 25 years, that one for 30 years.....blah blah blah.......you and idiot to trust anything on the internet.........blah BLAH BLAH!!! ::) ::) ::)

I have a few K's left on the MT. gotta get my money outa it. And then you can bet your a$$ it's gonna be a CT.

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 02-23-2009, 03:25 PM   #49

Darkside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawhead
Yeah its the naysayers that are giving me the reason above all of the logical reasons that you listed lonewolf. At my very mention of the CT on the rear they stood there with their noses twisted and almost giggling and telling me CT's are hard and designed for cars and MT's are soft and designed for motorcycles........blah blah he's been riding for 25 years, that one for 30 years.....blah blah blah.......you and idiot to trust anything on the internet.........blah BLAH BLAH!!! ::) ::) ::)

I have a few K's left on the MT. gotta get my money outa it. And then you can bet your a$$ it's gonna be a CT.

Yea, I'm getting the same thing.
One point on your comments above; its proven that "most" car tires, especially those with higher speed ratings, are SOFTER than m/c tires......and results are published to prove it in case they're interested!!

Dick Campbell
Blairsville, GA
2008 Red & Black Nomad 1600
(retired)
2009 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner (retired)
2013 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner
2018 CanAm RT Limited Spyder (Sold)
2014 Goldwing Roadsmith Red Trike (Sold)
2019 Goldwing DCT Roadsmith Copper & Black Trike

VBA #243
Darkside #115
Patriot Guard Rider
American Legion Rider

Old 02-23-2009, 04:12 PM   #50
Advanced Member

Darkside

i dont think any of us jumped into this un-informed! i spent months reading and researching everything i could lay my eyes on about it. and i always have and always will tell anyone that is thinking about this, to get informed, do your research and then make up your own mind!!!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-23-2009, 07:28 PM   #51
Top Contributor

Darkside

Ever notice that the naysayers have never tried a car tire? I just tell them that unless they have tried it themselves their opinion doesn't mean much.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 02-23-2009, 08:23 PM   #52

Darkside

Hey you guys, ever checked out this site [ http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/forum.htm ] a lot of info about this subject (not promoting this site but it is where I got most of my info)! [GOOSE]
2003 Bandit 1200
CMA GateKeepers, Southern Cruisers#034, Patriot Guard Rider

Old 02-23-2009, 08:35 PM   #53
Advanced Member

Darkside

I have run 27 to 28 psi since I put on the car tire and have really liked the feel and handling at this pressure. I have about 10,000 miles on it with this pressure and practically no sign of wear. I've had no issues at the lower air pressure, but since everyone seems to like it higher, I thought I'd try it. Today I put it up to 30 psi and drove to San Antonio and back, about 450 miles. I couldn't tell a lot of difference, but I may like this better. I'm going to leave it a 30 for a while and see how it does over a few months. I tried 35 when I first got the tire and it made the bike feel sort of squirrely (sp?) on uneven roads, so that's why I didn't jump up so much.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:57 PM   #54
Advanced Member

Darkside

hey goose thanks for the link. just jumped to it real quick, will explore more later. even tho i already hav a ct, i will continue to watch and see what everyone else has to say about it.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:05 AM   #55
Sr. Contributor

Darkside

Nay sayers are just that..... On a heavy cruiser which the Nomads most certainly are, a CT can't be beat.. Now i am not a sport bike rider, my neck won't even point up that way, but I don't think a CT would work out well in that kind of riding.

We can't get close to that lean angle, with out lots of hard parts contacting Earth, but my V&H baggers are wearing now I have the CT on there..

Or lets just say they did, last year, since I woke up to +1 degree this morning..

My bike is in a trailer for winter, and anyone who wants it for free can come get it out...

The whole blooming thing is buried in snow more ice, and that snow/ice is 5 feet deep.

To get it out now, you need a few sticks of dynamite and some pretty good back hoe I'ld say.

Pretty much that bike ain't goin anywhere for now...

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 02-25-2009, 11:40 AM   #56

Darkside

That sucks macmac. It's juss cold down here, I know that's easier to deal with than ice until that's what you have to deal with. But if I don't get my candy ar$e out there and burn those other few K's off that rear MT, it'll be that much longer before I can give the naysayers something to whine about. :'( :'( :'( I'm gonna have to get out and scrounge up some Karma points because that naysayer group is a brutal, hateful bunch and they gonna wish some EVIL mess on me. They ain't women either..............Thank God...........

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 02-25-2009, 01:13 PM   #57
Sr. Contributor

Darkside

itsemt, Comon up heya' ! I could use a little help shovelin' off the barn roof. I just got done shoveling off the pine shed roof, but I didn't know you wanted to burn off calories

Why in after that I got lots more trees to cut down, all dead and standin' real dry and these are a total almost waste septin' we burn em for heat, so you get heat about 4 times.

Once cutting and wigling around in the brush, once again spliting it all, and again gettin' the stuff in to the wood stoves.

The other day I cut and stacked 2 piles a cord each as mostly 10 foot length for the sugar stove.

I got 3 drops of sugar sap too, today. The season is upon me, as I type. Just got 3 buckets out for now as a test.

It don't hurt to let the trees have a little ya know.

I know all this buring calories helps me keep my girlie figure it sure does

Motorcycles don't work around here untill late May if that.. prolly cuz thar ain't no bugs and no around here can ride in a bug free enviroment, atleast i don't think so. ::)

I re-read yer post and gave ya a karma point.. You can use that one. I never cared much about them since I still need 1 and a buck to buy a coffee.. I am pretty sure i can buy a cup of coffee with just the buck..

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 02-25-2009, 05:00 PM   #58
Advanced Member

Darkside

It's 80 degrees here today. Trees are budding out; flowers are starting to bloom. I rode my bike in a t-shirt today. Of course, yesterday when I road to San Antonio it was 35 degrees and I had on all my cold weather gear. Ran into plenty of bugs on the way back.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:36 AM   #59

Darkside

The only thing that henders riding for me 'round here is deer in the rut. I'll be hard pressed to ride November and December. Maybe with the CT on the nomad I'll feel more secure.

I'm monna tell the know-it-all knuckle heads that I've done more research and found that the DOT has never recorded a deer/motorcycle collision with a CT on the rear. The reason is thought to be the low range pitch of the combination front MT and rear CT that only deer can hear and it scares the hell out of 'em.

And insted of putting a CT on the bike...........I'm gonna put the bike o the CT

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

Old 02-26-2009, 05:51 AM   #60
Advanced Member

Darkside

I hate to tell you, but I had a collision with a deer (with a car tire on the back) December 7th. It did about $2,700 damage to the bike and banged up my left leg some. Fortunately, I didn't dump the bike, fly through the air or go sliding down the pavement, so I feel like I got off pretty lucky. I don't think the highway patrolman noticed the car tire on the back when he was writing up the accident report.