Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > NorthCentral Group

Old 12-05-2010, 06:18 PM   #46
Sr. Contributor

North Central Nat'l Rally Planning

I drink Bourbon too. While I just finished a bottle of 18 year old Macallan, I also finished a bottle of Woodford reserve a month os so ago. I think JD is a little overrated, but I have drank enough of it too. I'd like to try Maker's Mark and Knob Creek too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson
Bluekaw... I'll eat most anything; except Indian-food. I cannot eat Curry unfortunately. So, I won't be hard to please with regard to finding a place to gather Sat-night to eat. The place might have to have an "adult-beverage" menu though!

Dmac... one square-inch of land at the distillery? Heck... I've got to call up Maker''s Mark and ask them why they are so cheap! All I get is an occasional newsletter, and a certificate (not really worthy of hanging anywhere); free admission to the distillery; and I am allowed to have my name put on a placard on one of the prime-barrels of bourbon. I think I actually get to have the placard if I buy it!! LOL!

Ponch... you've got to learn to drink the nectar of the god's... bourbon!!!! The only true American liquor by definition!!! Come on buddy... get with it! Scotch is for the snobby-type with ascots... you know... the ones that ride BMW's!!!
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-05-2010, 08:35 PM   #47

Woodford Reserve is a very good tasting bourbon ranking right up there with Maker's. Maker's remains my favorite because of its full-flavor; although one can find better bourbons out there -- albeit at higher prices. I do prefer Kentucky bourbons over others though. To me, there is a difference.

I used to drink Scotch exclusively years ago, but have gotten away from it.

Knob-Creek is made by Beam and is good. Similar to Maker's quality; but not as full-flavor.

As with just about everything; there seems to be a million choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch
I drink Bourbon too. While I just finished a bottle of 18 year old Macallan, I also finished a bottle of Woodford reserve a month or so ago. I think JD is a little overrated, but I have drank enough of it too. I'd like to try Maker's Mark and Knob Creek too.

Quote:
Bluekaw... I'll eat most anything; except Indian-food. I cannot eat Curry unfortunately. So, I won't be hard to please with regard to finding a place to gather Sat-night to eat. The place might have to have an "adult-beverage" menu though!

Dmac... one square-inch of land at the distillery? Heck... I've got to call up Maker''s Mark and ask them why they are so cheap! All I get is an occasional newsletter, and a certificate (not really worthy of hanging anywhere); free admission to the distillery; and I am allowed to have my name put on a placard on one of the prime-barrels of bourbon. I think I actually get to have the placard if I buy it!! LOL!

Ponch... you've got to learn to drink the nectar of the god's... bourbon!!!! The only true American liquor by definition!!! Come on buddy... get with it! Scotch is for the snobby-type with ascots... you know... the ones that ride BMW's!!!

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 12-05-2010, 09:03 PM   #48
Sr. Contributor

Well, I'll have to buy a bottle of Maker's Mark next time I am out shopping. It's a lot cheaper than the Macallan anyway. :)

Quote:
Woodford Reserve is a very good tasting bourbon ranking right up there with Maker's. Maker's remains my favorite because of its full-flavor; although one can find better bourbons out there -- albeit at higher prices. I do prefer Kentucky bourbons over others though. To me, there is a difference.

I used to drink Scotch exclusively years ago, but have gotten away from it.

Knob-Creek is made by Beam and is good. Similar to Maker's quality; but not as full-flavor.

As with just about everything; there seems to be a million choices

Quote:
I drink Bourbon too. While I just finished a bottle of 18 year old Macallan, I also finished a bottle of Woodford reserve a month or so ago. I think JD is a little overrated, but I have drank enough of it too. I'd like to try Maker's Mark and Knob Creek too.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Old 12-06-2010, 06:58 PM   #49

I think this bourbon thread is a whole lot better than that that gun thread cuz everybody knows booze and guns don't mix. Booze is more fun! LOL!
VBA#642
Custer National Rally 2009
Regional Prairie Du Chien 2010
National Maggie Valley 2011
2008 Red and Black Nomad
2008 Pearl White Goldwing

Old 12-06-2010, 07:48 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac
I think this bourbon thread is a whole lot better than that that gun thread cuz everybody knows booze and guns don't mix. Booze is more fun! LOL!
That depends I suppose if you are doing the shooting or the one being shot!!!!

Speaking of shots... I am having a Maker's right at this moment. It is very cold outside and that seemed to be just the best thing I could think of to warm me up!!

You know... I thought I knew a fair amount about whiskey and bourbons... but last night I checked-out some resources and was rather amazed at all the information there is about making the "stuff". There were plenty of things that I thought I knew; but after checking it out... I only knew a part of the facts. Rather fascinating to me.

I learned Evan Williams (a cheap bourbon) was the first commercially distributed bourbon and the oldest known. And that Maker's Mark was the first distillery to make their distillery a public attraction and offer tours.

I was most amazed to find out that whiskey in the U.S. has its roots with Irish immigrants that didn't want to pay taxes so they basically caused so much disturbance that the government gave them an option to move to the area of what is now Kentucky where they could receive free land with the requirement to farm the land. Well then, that was the beginning of whiskey as we know it in the U.S.! The Irish found a much better use for the corn, barley, and wheat they grew!! LOL!!

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-07-2010, 08:57 PM   #51

I don't have to know all that info about what I drink. I do enjoy all the ones that were mentioned but my drink of choice is Crown Royal. I will be packing a bottle of CR for the NR in MV & sorry to say I will not be riding a Hd or a BMW but will be on a Kawasaki Nomad. LOL

Yes, DMAC this thread is much more entertaining than the gun thread, althoughnthat was a good thread until it was hijacked. It did start out as a story about GLW riding with a group of HA

Old 12-07-2010, 09:34 PM   #52
Sr. Contributor

Ever have Templeton rye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1600bluekaw
I don't have to know all that info about what I drink. I do enjoy all the ones that were mentioned but my drink of choice is Crown Royal. I will be packing a bottle of CR for the NR in MV & sorry to say I will not be riding a Hd or a BMW but will be on a Kawasaki Nomad. LOL

Yes, DMAC this thread is much more entertaining than the gun thread, althoughnthat was a good thread until it was hijacked. It did start out as a story about GLW riding with a group of HA
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 12-07-2010, 10:17 PM   #53

Quote:
Ever have Templeton rye?

Quote:

Not to my knowledge... what is it? Scotch?

VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 12-07-2010, 10:24 PM   #54

Quote:

Crown Royal... it is the only Canadian Whiskey that I like... and I love CR. I am also a member of whatever their "exclusive" club is. All I know is... ever so often I get something from them. I have a CR hat, a bag, and a gold-towel. I can't remember the rest I have received for free through the years. So... CR is on my short-list.

Regarding riding with an HA... Yeah... I'm tough, "been around", and hang with the "tough-crowd"!!! LOL!!!

I really don't think too many of them are riding at the moment though. I went onto their "main" website and read where they are supposed to use their biikes as their primary, if not only, transportation -- thus they claim many of them ride 20,000 miles a year. That can't happen around here -- at least not easily.

Hey... if you're packin' CR... I'll be your best friend on the trip!

VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 12-07-2010, 11:07 PM   #55
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Quote:
Ever have Templeton rye?
Not to my knowledge... what is it? Scotch?
http://www.templetonrye.com/home/
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 12-08-2010, 07:51 AM   #56

Typically haven't favored rye-whiskey over bourbon; but I am never one to turn-down a sip of good whiskey no matter what it it made of or where it's made.

Interesting story on Iowa whiskey though... I had never heard of of it before.

VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 12-10-2010, 02:31 PM   #57

I have booked all the reservations I need for the rally.

11th and 17th at the Motel 6 in Columbus, IN

12th thru the 16th in Maggie Valley at the base hotel.

VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 12-12-2010, 10:19 AM   #58

GLW - glad to hear you are set with your rooms, looking forward to seeing you & Kendra. Even if I don't pack the CR will you still be my friend? :)

Stretch - it was good to read that you were gonna make the trip. Melody & I still the tell the story about our expierince in St.Louis then to find out you were there also. Great story great laughs. No way it can be duplicated.

DMAC - Since you will be riding the Gold Wing on this trip, I have a group here in Columbus you could join "Whispering Eagles" great group 70% wing riders. No matter what you are riding it will be good to see you & Sally.

Rayski - My wife Melody was glad to hear that you will be making the road trip. Her request is that you ride in front of of us so that she can smell your cigar smoke.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.
7 1/2 months and counting

Old 12-12-2010, 02:44 PM   #59

Quote:
GLW - glad to hear you are set with your rooms, looking forward to seeing you & Kendra. Even if I don't pack the CR will you still be my friend? :)
I suppose we could let you off the hook

Don't forget; we are bringing the trailer with us -- just in case some of what Melody has said about my bike actually does happen!!! So plenty of room to pack the bourbon or whiskey. ;)

In trying to keep up with everyone coming I hope I haven't forgotten anyone.

So far:

Cal
Dmac (and Sally)
Gibby
Stretch
Me and the much better half
Rayski
Bluekaw1600 and Melody
Guest of Bluekaw

8 bikes... not bad. Maybe a couple more will join in. It couldn't come soon enough for me. I am sitting in blizzard conditions today... 50 MPH wind and snow. Yippee!!!

VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 12-13-2010, 02:36 PM   #60

My youngest son & I rode on Saturday about 50 miles it was 45 degree but the sun was shining. then the bottom fell out that nite, we now have 4 inches of snow on the ground with winds up to 35mph. BRRRR high today is 17.

To keep things simple & clear my friend that will be riding with us, is Kevin Shoun. He lives across the alley from us & hangs out in his garage so we nick named him Alley Kat. GLW you can refer to him as such in future writings.

Sounds like a good group representing the NCR