Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 03-05-2014, 10:21 PM   #46

well said Texas Nomad!
My wife always sits me w/ my back to the wall in public, on her own, stops short in traffic, leaves a way out until it's a last resort. it's just a way of life now. If you don't believe that, then yes, your heads in the sand. God forbid that day comes, but I WILL go home. (Maybe just to pack a small bag.... ) No victoms here!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-05-2014, 10:27 PM   #47

The BIG PICTURE we all need to remember is..It's a matter of Personal Responsability..that each and every American Citizen is charged with by the Constitution..when the gun rights are specifically written in.
It means we the people (the individual) are charged with seeing to the preservation of the Nation...by keeping an eye on the 'type" of people that are seeking public office...And those accumulating wealth and influence enough to then sweep ever more into the power and influence under their control..and working to subvert and -"change" our rights ! alway's creeping the law to favor themselves...This has Already Happened !

The first thing that those types ..have done..was to deminish the value of Our-Personal Involvement, in the preservation of what was once the greatest nation In The History Of The Human Race !

Old 03-06-2014, 12:49 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas nomad View Post
Asa full time commissioned officer, HR 218 grants me authority to carry as I wish, with the exception of any federal buildings, military bases and the like. Folks, let's get real for a moment, ok? If you think we live in a safe country, you're wearing blinders. The thugs on the streets of this country of ours have made it a very, very dangerous place to be. The only time I am not carrying is in the shower. Sorry. I'm not paranoid, I'm prepared. I'm a wolf, not a sheeple.... I carry more than one when I carry. I carry at work, at church, and even when I do yard work. No one but my wife knows what I carry, and always understand which side to walk on when we are together. Concealed carry is just that.... CONCEALED. There shoud never be an instance when it is visible to the publis, unless I am in the act of using said weapon. Officer on our department are considered officers 24/7, regardless of whether we're "on duty" or not.
I have lost count of times I have encountered those I have arrested due to their actions, which resulted in their prison tours... I refuse to be a target, a victim or a witness to the demise of my familky.
One additional thing... If you carry are you mentally prepared to deal with the aftermath of your actions, or lack of action, when the violence comes your way? Don't be a victim!

Take care.....
And you let your wife walk with you?? I mean, your a moving target mate.So you think your a secret?

Gun laws in the U.S. is one thing but the other thing, and please I don't mean any offence here, is that after reading a post like this one above, I get reminded of the fact that if one was to strole around the capitals or anywhere else for that matter here in Oz, the one thing that would be conspicuous with its absence would be the lack of an Australian flag. Its not that we dont love and cherish our flag and country, we do, just like you guys do yours, its just we don't make a big thing about a lot of stuff, particularly personal achievement. So, here in Oz it is considered very poor form to bragg or to beat ones own drum about ones self which is very likely to attract the tag of wa#ker over here.

Just a little trivia, FYI and light entertainment. Bring on the flames

Last edited by muz; 03-06-2014 at 06:12 AM.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:00 AM   #49

Sorry. I am for the birds at trivia... But this is a subject very close to my heart. Not guns per say, but the right to protect myself & my family w/ any means possible. Even a brick if need be. Would love another go at understanding that last post of yours there MUZ.
This is a great thread goin here because not only do we, as simple as motorcycle riders, put our selves out there wide open in traffic, but are pretty much in the open and vulnerable to attack by cars, trucks, wildlife, thug life, etc. usually w/ the wife- gal (or? ) and our gov. tellin' us how when & where we are allowd to do so. WHICH I THINK IS B.S.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:10 AM   #50

Actually, this thread should be moved to "off topic", and personally would follow it, before we get the "bad eye" talkin bout somethin in the wrong room...

p.s. i don't think anybody in their right mind would take a "walk-about" around our capital w/ out a brick...

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-06-2014, 06:24 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
Sorry. I am for the birds at trivia... But this is a subject very close to my heart. Not guns per say, but the right to protect myself & my family w/ any means possible. Even a brick if need be. Would love another go at understanding that last post of yours there MUZ.
This is a great thread goin here because not only do we, as simple as motorcycle riders, put our selves out there wide open in traffic, but are pretty much in the open and vulnerable to attack by cars, trucks, wildlife, thug life, etc. usually w/ the wife- gal (or? ) and our gov. tellin' us how when & where we are allowd to do so. WHICH I THINK IS B.S.
Just a slight difference in cultures mate. I was a little taken back by what I perceived to be a hero status portraied by Texas Nomad. Just not accustomed to that sort of rant. If someone here has those sorts of credentials they would tend to keep it to themselves for their own personal safety and that of their family. And not bragg about how his wife is hand in hand with him while he is prepared for warfare.

Edit:
Oh sorry its all good..........I just noticed the part where his wife knows on which side of him to stand in case there is a shoot out.

Last edited by muz; 03-06-2014 at 09:23 AM.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:54 AM   #52
Mega-Contributor

Not all of us are like that, Muz.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 03-06-2014, 09:26 AM   #53

Well... I don't disagree with Texas Nomad. But then again I'm not located in Paradise... parts of these here United States of America, are at the very least not safe, yet habitable. Not sure how bad things have gone in Kansas since Dorothy and Toto have left for the Emerald City, , I know more wolves here that carry than sheeple that don't.
I would never take my wife to go do battle but hope she would be there to back me if there was one. She iS one hell of a shot. And, am I mentally prepared for the aftermath of protecting myself or a loved one? If not I wIll be alIve tomorrow to get over It. as for my wife, well, we won't go there.

>>>>> " why can't we all just get along " <<<<<<

Old 03-06-2014, 09:38 AM   #54

Quote:

>>>>> " why can't we all just get along " <<<<<<
+1

Old 03-06-2014, 10:52 AM   #55

Quote:
We have the annual turn in's & all the ananimity offers here as well, but we just can't seem to reason with the "bad guys" to swap out their "ak's, ar's, boom sticks, choppers, etc. for a brick to "tote" on out for the nightly gang bangin' or occasional drive by and the inevetable car jacking that is becomming more & more frequent.
I don't agree that there are too many guns. I DO believe there are toooo many guns in the wrong hands though.
You can never have to many guns...
Amen brother. I may not shoot every day, but my sons and I are capable and well prepared for whatever, as is my wife. I have enough rifles and handguns to help the neighbors out as well if needed.
I hope Muz doesnt get the wrong idea. Like CJ said, its not the wild wild west anymore but the American frame of mind has rapidly changed from Happy Days to "be prepared". Where we used to fear the Russians, we now fear our neigbors and most strangers. I think alot of it has to do with people being so self absorbed that they dont KNOW their nieghbors anymore. No one comes out of their houses. Thats why I love living in a small town where we pretty much still sleep with the doors unlocked. I feel bad for the poor bastard that breaks into mine or my neighbor's house. It will be brutal. I still feel like America is safe in most places but I carry just in case I happen to meet someone who is thinking he might take advantage of someone today. I think I might just be able to "talk" him out of victimizing me or my family.
I will never understand why anyone would willingly disarm themselves.

David Hollinger
2002 Beige 1500 "Hannah2"
VBA # 02195

Old 03-06-2014, 05:40 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhollinger View Post
Amen brother. I may not shoot every day, but my sons and I are capable and well prepared for whatever, as is my wife. I have enough rifles and handguns to help the neighbors out as well if needed.
I hope Muz doesnt get the wrong idea. Like CJ said, its not the wild wild west anymore but the American frame of mind has rapidly changed from Happy Days to "be prepared". Where we used to fear the Russians, we now fear our neigbors and most strangers. I think alot of it has to do with people being so self absorbed that they dont KNOW their nieghbors anymore. No one comes out of their houses. Thats why I love living in a small town where we pretty much still sleep with the doors unlocked. I feel bad for the poor bastard that breaks into mine or my neighbor's house. It will be brutal. I still feel like America is safe in most places but I carry just in case I happen to meet someone who is thinking he might take advantage of someone today. I think I might just be able to "talk" him out of victimizing me or my family.
I will never understand why anyone would willingly disarm themselves.
I don't know about the laws in the US but here in Oz if you find someone in your home who has broken in and is about to do no good and you shoot and kill him there is a real good chance you will go to prison for manslaughter. The only way you can get off is if you can prove that someones life was on the line. Or if a trespasser trips over your garden hose and does himself an injury, he can sue you for negligence and probably win.

Last edited by muz; 03-06-2014 at 05:54 PM.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:02 PM   #57
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muz View Post
I don't know about the laws in the US but here in Oz if you find someone in your home who has broken in and is about to do no good and you shoot and kill him there is a real good chance you will go to prison for manslaughter. The only way you can get off is if you can prove that someones life was on the line. Or if a trespasser trips over your garden hose and does himself an injury, he can sue you for negligence and probably win.
It varies in the US from State to State. Every State will require you to be in fear for your life, but who has to prove what varies. Many States have what is called a Castle Doctrine. Mine does, so if I shoot someone who is in my home illegally the State has to prove that a reasonable person would NOT have been in fear for their life. In fact the law says the Court must assume automatically that I was in fear for my life unless the prosecution can prove otherwise. Other states do it the other way around where the shooter has to prove they were in fear.

It sounds like a minor difference but once the burden of proof is put upon the prosecutor it becomes very hard to prove I was not in fear for my life. But fear for life or great bodily harm is still required before you can shoot anyone for anything. You cannot shoot to protect property. And you can not go looking for trouble. If I hear someone breaking into my garage outside and go out there and shoot him I will go to jail. I went looking for trouble when I should have locked the doors and called the cops.

Things are not quite as wild over here when it comes to shooting people as we may make it sound or as the news people make it sound. We know we only shoot when it really matters.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:09 PM   #58

If/when I carry, I prefer to have it on me. I've watched several videos recently of CCW or off duty law enforcement getting robbed at a gas station. If you are off your bike and fueling up, it would be hard to get to that gun. If its on you, no worries.

When you get to your end destination, no need to transfer a gun from the bike to your person either.

Muz, unfortunately we live in 2 different worlds. I never really used to carry my gun off duty. I would carry it around Christmas time when robberies were at their highest. Since we had our daughter, I promised my wife that I would carry whenever I had her with me. I've been a cop for 12 years, never had to use my firearm for anything other than shooting paper. When it comes to protecting my daughter from danger, I would rather have my gun and not need it. Too many lunatics with murderous intentions around here. We have had a lot of mass shootings in the last decade. Its usually one lone psycho with a gun attacking people in "gun free zones". As off duty law enforcement, I am not bound by most of the "gun free zones" that others are. My gun may be the difference between 1 casualty (attempted shooter) or multiple casualties.

Ideally I carry this gun and never need it.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:13 PM   #59
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
When you get to your end destination, no need to transfer a gun from the bike to your person either.
This is a key point. Not handling the gun anymore than absolutely necessary is just a good idea. When I travel I never take it out of the holster. At night in the hotel it stays in the holster and I pull the whole thing off. Not saying I am afraid of my weapon or don't know how to handle it safely, just prefer to stay on the safe side.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:03 PM   #60

Who was it that said.."I'd rather be Tried For Murder - Than Murdered" !

And I agree..It's much better to have The Right To Be Armed..and then never need it !

In Carton Country New Mexico..I understand there is a law that requires home owners to own a hand gun "To be able to defend the lives of those persons on the property if required"...If you are victimized on your property and choose not to use your fire arm..OK ! ... BUT if you dont have a fire arm..you can be charged for failure to be prepared ! I like that kind of thinking..(I own property near Pie Town New Mexico..in Catron Country)