Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 08-27-2016, 10:28 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre-t View Post
What we are trying to tell you is that adjusting the belt different amounts on each side will likely result in damage. You said adjusting them that way "didn't work" whatever that means. Didn't stop the whine?

Perhaps as Da Wiz suggested, you have a problem somewhere else, like in the swing arm bearing that is causing the whine. Mal-adjusting the rear axle is not going to help that, but may make it worse as well as cause other problems. Like they say, treat the problem, not the symptom.

I can tell you that my bike handles much better, better tracking, better in curves, in general a more stable ride, since I corrected the adjustment. You may not care if you have to replace the bearings more often, but you may change your mind if your rear wheel suddenly locks up while you are going highway speeds.
Yes adjusting them at equal amounts did not stop the whine. I can't remember this being there when I bought the bike and had a new rear tire installed two weeks after I bought it. Then that's when I noticed the whine.

OEM saddle bag liners
OEM Auxiliary Driving lights
OEM ipod connection
OEM highway peg bracket
OEM driver and passenger Backrest
Baggershield
Ray's Throttle Mod
Cobra tri-ovals
mustange seat
Ivan's Flash
Kenwood Stereo and Speakers
Randy's 6.5 speaker adaptors
Rockford Amp

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-28-2016, 12:43 AM   #47

Not trying to be insulting here, but did you loosen the axle nut when you were adjusting it? If not, the adjusters won't, uh, adjust properly. Could that be why adjusting both sides didn't work?

Have you checked the torque on the axle nut? If a "tire shop" did the change and not a dealer (or sometimes even a dealer) they may have just cranked down on the axle nut and it is too tight. I don't know if that would create a whine or not.

Just throwing stuff out. Since it seems to have started with the tire change, the obvious question is, what could they have done that would cause the whine? May or may not be something they did, but...

Old 08-28-2016, 07:46 AM   #48

This happened to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie View Post
Thanks I will check the swing arm bearings. Where they diffecult to change?
I had a rear tire changed once and the tech adjusted the belt this way (in theory, not actual)

Belt side is 1/2 tick mark to the Right of the third frame mark from the back
Brake side is 1/2 tick mark to the Right of the third frame mark from the back.

Result - my belt tracked odd.

Should have been
Belt side is 1/2 tick mark to the Right of the third frame mark from the back
Brake side is 1/2 tick mark to the Left of the third frame mark from the back.

Result - Belt tracked where it should have.

Overall result - I do Almost ALL work on my latest Voyager myself now. (I let them change the tires after I remove them from the bike.)

Old 08-28-2016, 07:50 AM   #49

Take is apart and start again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre-t View Post
Not trying to be insulting here, but did you loosen the axle nut when you were adjusting it? If not, the adjusters won't, uh, adjust properly. Could that be why adjusting both sides didn't work?

Have you checked the torque on the axle nut? If a "tire shop" did the change and not a dealer (or sometimes even a dealer) they may have just cranked down on the axle nut and it is too tight. I don't know if that would create a whine or not.

Just throwing stuff out. Since it seems to have started with the tire change, the obvious question is, what could they have done that would cause the whine? May or may not be something they did, but...
Sometimes when faced with a "It started When I did this" I go back and Redo everything and put is back together from scratch. Hoping that I missed something and will be more attentive when I reassemble the next time.

Old 08-28-2016, 11:50 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike07nad View Post
Sometimes when faced with a "It started When I did this" I go back and Redo everything and put is back together from scratch. Hoping that I missed something and will be more attentive when I reassemble the next time.
Yep, seems to me that when something goes wrong after work was done, 75% of the time whoever did the work (usually me ) did something wrong, 20% of the time putting everything back to spec put stress on an already failing part and pushed it over the edge (more likely for electrical work than mechanical), and 5% is just plain coincidence.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-28-2016, 07:18 PM   #51

Absolutely!!

I took a trip to Saint Joun, NB...A couple years ago....I had put new rubber on before I left and had checked the bike over....I noticed that the adjusters were not the same on each side...Didn't make much of it as the 900 had the same issues..But...along the way I had to buy some belt lube to kill the 'whistle'...It wasn't until the fall when I was riding out to Springdale that I noticed the rear end was some times a bit squirrely....Figured some thing was amiss so I put the bike on a stand when I got home, loosened everything at the rear wheel and pulled it all forward....That's when the swing arm actually moved forward too...left side...Grabbed the left side of the swing arm and pulled towards me a few times just to be sure and it moved about a 1/16 or so..the bearing needles are about a mill...I made an appointment with GnR in Stephenville and got the work done there...Parts were about 30 bucks but the labour was a killer..under warranty for me though..Not a cheap job and I think there are some special dedicated tools you'll need....not sure. I also pulled the cover on the front drive and that was worn to the point there was an actual recess in the steel riding the belt up against the outside of the pulley.....Likely because the bloody belt was too tight from the factory and the use of a belt dressing...I got a replacement on ebay for about 65 bucks to the house. There is no reason to adjust the tracking if the swingarm is aligned properly. Another consideration is a 1 mill shim on the output shaft between the collar and the pulley....

Old 08-30-2016, 02:16 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWizard View Post
Absolutely!!

I took a trip to Saint Joun, NB...A couple years ago....I had put new rubber on before I left and had checked the bike over....I noticed that the adjusters were not the same on each side...Didn't make much of it as the 900 had the same issues..But...along the way I had to buy some belt lube to kill the 'whistle'...It wasn't until the fall when I was riding out to Springdale that I noticed the rear end was some times a bit squirrely....Figured some thing was amiss so I put the bike on a stand when I got home, loosened everything at the rear wheel and pulled it all forward....That's when the swing arm actually moved forward too...left side...Grabbed the left side of the swing arm and pulled towards me a few times just to be sure and it moved about a 1/16 or so..the bearing needles are about a mill...I made an appointment with GnR in Stephenville and got the work done there...Parts were about 30 bucks but the labour was a killer..under warranty for me though..Not a cheap job and I think there are some special dedicated tools you'll need....not sure. I also pulled the cover on the front drive and that was worn to the point there was an actual recess in the steel riding the belt up against the outside of the pulley.....Likely because the bloody belt was too tight from the factory and the use of a belt dressing...I got a replacement on ebay for about 65 bucks to the house. There is no reason to adjust the tracking if the swingarm is aligned properly. Another consideration is a 1 mill shim on the output shaft between the collar and the pulley....
Ok so this is where my belt is running on the front pulley and the swingarm bearings are tight.image1.JPG

OEM saddle bag liners
OEM ipod connection
OEM highway peg bracket
Baggershield
Ray's Throttle Mod
Cobra tri-ovals
mustange seat
Ivan's Flash
Rockford Amp

Old 08-30-2016, 03:54 PM   #53

Your belt is running too far left...This is where the squeal is coming from IMHO....How much deflection is on the belt?? Are the rear adjusters 'equal'...I measured mine with the depth gauge on my mic...the tailpiece that protrudes from the slide...I think it was 23.8mm+/-. And yes it will make a difference. That will vary I suspect depending on belt/pulley wear and actual tension on the belt. I know this can be a PIA but be sure of your set up....Frankly, I think you may have to shim the output pulley. If so 1mm, no more as you may have an issue with the nut and keeper that's bent over it...I had to drill the nut and shaft and insert a split pin and leave the keeper off.... Output shaft nut is torqued to 120lbs I think...You can see where the belt used to track about a 1/8 inch to the right of the flange.

Old 08-30-2016, 05:53 PM   #54

Quote:
Your belt is running too far left...This is where the squeal is coming from IMHO....How much deflection is on the belt?? Are the rear adjusters 'equal'...I measured mine with the depth gauge on my mic...the tailpiece that protrudes from the slide...I think it was 23.8mm+/-. And yes it will make a difference. That will vary I suspect depending on belt/pulley wear and actual tension on the belt. I know this can be a PIA but be sure of your set up....Frankly, I think you may have to shim the output pulley. If so 1mm, no more as you may have an issue with the nut and keeper that's bent over it...I had to drill the nut and shaft and insert a split pin and leave the keeper off.... Output shaft nut is torqued to 120lbs I think...You can see where the belt used to track about a 1/8 inch to the right of the flange.
No my rear adjusters are not equal. I am running it now ahead little over 1/2 a notch more on the right then the left to take the whine out...crazy. I know this is not right but the noise is so annoying. Where did you get the shim?

OEM saddle bag liners
OEM ipod connection
OEM highway peg bracket
Baggershield
Ray's Throttle Mod
Cobra tri-ovals
mustange seat
Ivan's Flash
Rockford Amp

Old 08-30-2016, 06:18 PM   #55

When you get those adjusters set up to about the same measurement, adjust the belt tension, and then adjust the right side to measure the same as the left side...tedious but never the less effective........IF you have to shim, you may get what you need at a hardware store...MIGHT!...I had mine machined at a shop here.... I believe there's a machine shop where you live....It will have to be the same diameter inside and out as the collar....OR you can take the collar with you and get one made a ~1mm longer. Which might be easier...If memory serves me, I think it's a straight collar...Curious as to the measure on each side..anywhere near 24mm???? The adjusters must be equal with belt tension at ~3/8 or more deflection!!

Last edited by TheWizard; 08-30-2016 at 06:23 PM.

Old 08-30-2016, 06:35 PM   #56

Quote:
When you get those adjusters set up to about the same measurement, adjust the belt tension, and then adjust the right side to measure the same as the left side...tedious but never the less effective........IF you have to shim, you may get what you need at a hardware store...MIGHT!...I had mine machined at a shop here.... I believe there's a machine shop where you live....It will have to be the same diameter inside and out as the collar....OR you can take the collar with you and get one made a ~1mm longer. Which might be easier...If memory serves me, I think it's a straight collar...Curious as to the measure on each side..anywhere near 24mm???? The adjusters must be equal with belt tension at ~3/8 or more deflection!!
I will adjust each side equal tomorrow and see what I get in measurement. I will check the front pulley for belt alignment and let you know. THANKS

do you mean the shim to be 1mm thick like a washer?

OEM saddle bag liners
OEM ipod connection
OEM highway peg bracket
Baggershield
Ray's Throttle Mod
Cobra tri-ovals
mustange seat
Ivan's Flash
Rockford Amp

Old 08-30-2016, 06:55 PM   #57

Yes!! Or you can get a new collar machined from brass or SS...a little more costly..

Old 08-31-2016, 10:47 AM   #58

Quote:
Yes!! Or you can get a new collar machined from brass or SS...a little more costly..
[ATTACH]image3.jpg[/ATTACH]

I have each side adjusted to 23.79mm and the pulley is adjusted but know I can here like a squeaky from the front pulley just by spinning the rear wheel with my hand. Do the front pulley look ok? I thought it was supposed to be all silver? The back one is all Silver.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image2.jpg (90.0 KB, 23 views)

OEM saddle bag liners
OEM ipod connection
OEM highway peg bracket
Baggershield
Ray's Throttle Mod
Cobra tri-ovals
mustange seat
Ivan's Flash
Rockford Amp

Old 08-31-2016, 12:19 PM   #59

This is where the belt 'should' be....Your pulley looks like it has some wear on it...and some rust. If you want squeal, rust will be the thing that gives it to ya...The front pulley is steel and has a black coating on it. Probably some sort of anti-wear perhaps. Is the belt deflection set to what I had suggested 3/8+? If not, adjust and make both sides equal again...Clean the pulley with a solution to get rid of the rust....Maybe the CLR stuff may do it or some other type of distillate. Maybe wd40?? Then clean off the front pulley, Clean your belt as well with soap and water solution and use a hand brush....It looks like there was some debris picked up over time...and might still be embedded in the belt...But those scratches are pretty small....As an aside..check to see how much wear is on that front pulley, if it's easy to feel and see you likely have to replace the pulley. It may not seem like anything to worry about. If you have some powdered graphite..that's the stuff you put in locks and such to free and lube them...put some of that on the belt rotating it as you do, if you put a lot on the excess will just fall off..It's a dry lubricant. The rear pulley is made of Aluminum and will be 'silver'....no worry..

The more I look at that pulley...The more I think there was belt lube put on it....Looks almost identical to the old one I had...and I replaced mine....There's some grunge around that pulley too...

Last edited by TheWizard; 08-31-2016 at 12:40 PM.

Old 08-31-2016, 02:49 PM   #60

Quote:
This is where the belt 'should' be....Your pulley looks like it has some wear on it...and some rust. If you want squeal, rust will be the thing that gives it to ya...The front pulley is steel and has a black coating on it. Probably some sort of anti-wear perhaps. Is the belt deflection set to what I had suggested 3/8+? If not, adjust and make both sides equal again...Clean the pulley with a solution to get rid of the rust....Maybe the CLR stuff may do it or some other type of distillate. Maybe wd40?? Then clean off the front pulley, Clean your belt as well with soap and water solution and use a hand brush....It looks like there was some debris picked up over time...and might still be embedded in the belt...But those scratches are pretty small....As an aside..check to see how much wear is on that front pulley, if it's easy to feel and see you likely have to replace the pulley. It may not seem like anything to worry about. If you have some powdered graphite..that's the stuff you put in locks and such to free and lube them...put some of that on the belt rotating it as you do, if you put a lot on the excess will just fall off..It's a dry lubricant. The rear pulley is made of Aluminum and will be 'silver'....no worry..

The more I look at that pulley...The more I think there was belt lube put on it....Looks almost identical to the old one I had...and I replaced mine....There's some grunge around that pulley too...
Belt deflection is about 1/2 and adjusters is at 22.96 on both sides. I cleaned belt and pulley but the pulley looks the same and its like a brass colour. still has that noise almost like a bad wheel bearing noise but when you let off on the throttle its gone and comes back when you give it more throttle. if I move the rear wheel one notch ahead on the right side this puts the belt on the outside of the front pulley, noise is gone, this is the way I had it before.???

OEM saddle bag liners
OEM ipod connection
OEM highway peg bracket
Baggershield
Ray's Throttle Mod
Cobra tri-ovals
mustange seat
Ivan's Flash
Rockford Amp

Last edited by Newfie; 08-31-2016 at 03:01 PM.