Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 08-02-2015, 10:24 PM   #61

Thank you for the comparison. Based on the technology alone, I thought the Iridium plugs would be a bit better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillisfire View Post
I tried the E-3 plugs for my previous plug change. I really didn't notice that much of a change with them. They are cheaper than the iridium plugs, and don't really have nothing bad to say about them. They are a good plug. My last oil and plug change I splurged and purchased some iridium plugs, and have to say I do like these alot better. My throttle response does seem to be quicker and seems to allow my bike to idle better. As for starting, I think the E-3 and iridium plugs are about the same on that level. But as it is now, I am sold on the iridium plugs.

---------------------------------
2007 Vulcan 1600 Nomad
- 18" Street Glide Front wheel conversion (details are on this forum)
- HD King Tour-Pak w/ Wompus Rack
- Mustang wide touring two piece seat
- Chuckster's 3" Handlebar Risers
- Baron's Big Air Kit
- Chuckster's left side decorative plate
- Cobra True Duals w/ Billet Tips
- Speedmetal Cree LED Headlight conversion kit
- Michelin Commander II tires

Real Estate Broker/Property Manager
Las Vegas, NV USA

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-03-2015, 10:15 PM   #62

Took the E3s back.... Clerk can't find the right size. Ordered the Iridium model number... The boot won't fit the tip. The model number given me was DPR7EIX-9... Stock number 7803.... This is getting very frustrating! Any ideas Caveman? I'm taking these back tomorrow to get my money back. Maybe someone other than OReilleys can order the right ones...

Old 08-03-2015, 10:16 PM   #63

Is it just me or is the tip larger on the Iridium plugs? I've tried everything and can't get the plug cap to seat right...

Old 08-03-2015, 10:22 PM   #64

Were you able to install them right out of the box? The part number Oreilly gave me is DPR7EIX-9.... Rubber boot won't fit...

Old 08-04-2015, 12:38 AM   #65

They came in the box with fat tips that I had to unscrew and remove. The spark plug boots on the Nomad are made to fit the thinner threaded post only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas nomad View Post
Were you able to install them right out of the box? The part number Oreilly gave me is DPR7EIX-9.... Rubber boot won't fit...

---------------------------------
2007 Vulcan 1600 Nomad
- 18" Street Glide Front wheel conversion (details are on this forum)
- HD King Tour-Pak w/ Wompus Rack
- Mustang wide touring two piece seat
- Chuckster's 3" Handlebar Risers
- Baron's Big Air Kit
- Chuckster's left side decorative plate
- Cobra True Duals w/ Billet Tips
- Speedmetal Cree LED Headlight conversion kit
- Michelin Commander II tires

Real Estate Broker/Property Manager
Las Vegas, NV USA

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-04-2015, 12:38 AM   #66

Quote:
You have to take the ends off. Those are for different applications like for automobiles. Just twist off the tops. They will fit fine after that.

Old 08-06-2015, 02:19 PM   #67

Yes I have a box load of those caps. I went for the Iridiums from O'Reillys.
I wanted to try the cooler plug anyway. Performance difference is really marginal at best. Later I will try re-gapping them to .38-.40.

Hammer aka CrocHammer
KawaNow#00988, VROC#26389, VR#2202
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad

Old 08-07-2015, 10:58 AM   #68

E-3s

Quote:
Went to get four of the NDK iridium plugs today at O'Reilleys but they had to order them. They had two E-3s in stock, but would have to order the remaining ones. I told them to go ahead and order them. I'll get them tomorrow...then I began to wonder... Has anyone had any bad results from changing to either the E-3s or the Iridium plugs? I'd hate to damage my motor. Do they run too hot? The biggest things I find interesting from reading other posts is the reports of no pinging, increased mpg, and tighter/better throttle response. I realize mine isn't an HD but it would be nice to have the quicker response when I twist the throttle the HDs I've ridden had that...
I put E3's in my 03 1500 Nomad. All was good, I used regular gas. Seemed to start right on up and performance seemed good / the same so I figured I'd try running premium 92. After running a half tank I noticed it began to not start right up as before. To make sure I ran another tank full of '92'. The hard starting kept getting worse, thinking maybe the Power Commander needed time to adjust. The next tank and time did not help, now taking at least 2 and sometimes 3 or more tries to start when hot or cold. After 3 tank fulls of premium I decided to try regular gas again. All is good now, cranks on first try, cold or hot, and I am happy with the performance too.

I tried the premium because that is what the owners manual called for. I know that the mileage is good. I don't worry too much about that as the per mile is great. I will check the mileage once I hit the open road . Seems strange but life is that way sometimes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3247.jpg (97.2 KB, 17 views)

Old 08-07-2015, 07:51 PM   #69

Caveman,

Plugs installed. Seems to idle much smoother, as well as start better. Still at 3/4 of a tank, so I want to run two tanks worth, then average the MPG. So far I'm impressed. Now to add some extra brake lights on my back end!

Old 08-09-2015, 08:58 PM   #70
Advanced Member

2nd ride on these plugs today. Bike ran great no hesitation at all which I've been with since I got it . rode it like I normally do just cruising along. 42.4 mpg. That's what I was getting on stock plugs. Still think the plugs made a good difference for the cost.
VBA #02482

VROC # 36172

Old 08-11-2015, 11:57 AM   #71

The biggest difference is the iridium plugs will last at least 50k miles.
Cobra Scalloped Slip-ons

Thunder Mfg. Intake Gasket
DEI Titanium exhaust header wrap
Corbin heated seat.
Polk Audio db521 speakers
Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 with Mobil 1 M1-110 filter
Kuryakyn Longhorn Offset Dually Highway Pegs
Chrome passenger running board covers
All new fluids and lube.

Last edited by Boscoe; 08-12-2015 at 09:57 AM.

Old 08-11-2015, 03:41 PM   #72

Iridium plugs should last you 100,000 miles at least. Changed the plugs last year in my Frontier @ 108,000 miles, and the truck ran no different than it did before the change of plugs. It was running good with the old plugs, and I had to remove the intake manifold to replace a sensor, and since you have to remove the manifold to change the plugs I figured go ahead and do the plugs too. There was very little difference between the new plugs and the old plugs in appearance.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 08-27-2015, 11:24 AM   #73
Advanced Member

I installed the NGK iridiums on my 07 Nomad last night and went for a spin. The bike was running very well with the standard plugs but had just a bit of hesitation upon accelleration. It is now gone and seems crisper on the take off.

One thing I found odd was that the intake plugs I removed, with about 2000 miles on them, were dark and a but "sooty" instead of that nice brown we like to see. This suggests the bike was running a bit rich. My exhaust/intake are stock so perhaps I'm getting a cleaner burn now. I'll pull then in about a 1000 miles and check.

That is an interesting about going from premium to regular gas after installation of the new plugs.

Last edited by Navigator; 08-27-2015 at 07:15 PM.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:09 PM   #74

I still have 2 brand new set of these that I'll take $22 shipped. PM me if interested.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:09 AM   #75

Will these fit a 2005 1500 fi? It doesn't cross reference from what I see.

TIA