Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 12-19-2011, 05:08 PM   #61
Top Contributor

I think what you mean to say is that you always wanted a Harley and after turning your Nomad into a Harley clone and then still wanting a Harley you went and bought one ? I think a lot of people buy a particular bike but will not be happy until they get the bike they think will satisfy their ultimate biking experience. For many their ultimate bike does not satisfy their ultimate bike expectations ?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by redjay; 12-19-2011 at 05:14 PM.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:00 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by coacha View Post
When I was in the local HD dealership, they told me I was in luck, they just marked up the Ultra I liked from $22 to $30K. It was hard to pass up such a deal
Snooze and you lose Ron!!!

The best thing is... if you wait some more the price will get even higher... then you'll really have the deal you want!!! ...or is that the deal "they" want?

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 12-19-2011, 06:45 PM   #63
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
I think what you mean to say is that you always wanted a Harley and after turning your Nomad into a Harley clone and then still wanting a Harley you went and bought one ? I think a lot of people buy a particular bike but will not be happy until they get the bike they think will satisfy their ultimate biking experience. For many their ultimate bike does not satisfy their ultimate bike expectations ?
I didn't say that - After I bought my Nomad, I discovered that I liked motorcycle touring and the Nomad was a little scarce when it came to creature comforts and storage space. So I added the tourpak, fairing, cruise control, and so forth. Since almost all touring rigs bear some resemblance to Harley, I dubbed it the "UltraNomad". Then I decided that I may as well just go buy a Harley and be done with it.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 12-20-2011, 09:18 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson View Post
Most people concerned with price are always going to look for any value they can find in lower-priced choices.

However, a free-market helps determine the market-price of anything over the long-run. I cannot think of any product that has remained over-priced for any length of time without providing value for its price. HD's clothes and image isn't enough to support higher prices alone. There is likely other factors of value that allow them to price their bikes as they do.

Regarding appealing to the "younger-generation"; starting in 2010, HD concentrated on this demographic and increased their model-line with multiple "lower-priced" models appealing to younger people -- and most particularly women. While their tourers and baggers out-sell their other models, their smaller-bke models are picking-up in sales.

Also, the recession helped HD to some degree with regard to younger riders. There were far more HD's on the after-market by those having to sell them -- thus these bikes were under price-pressure -- forcing some of them to be sold at lower prices than normally expected. The younger riders took advantage of that where possible.
I pretty much agree but I am not certain what other factors there are that allow Harleys to be priced the way they are aside from the clothes & image?
Perhaps throw in the wider choice of colors, countless accessories, and a bigger dealer network???
I would also say the recession has helped those concerned with price as they can now go buy a used HD for less. Are they getting a better value paying more for a 5 year old Road King with 25,000 miles on it than what I paid for a new 2010 Nomad? Personally I don't think so, but in the example I am giving which is a true example the Harley name was what they wanted. This guys wife also wanted a bike and dearly loved the style of Heritage Softails but could not swing the price. I suggested she consider a 900LT and she said no I want a Harley and I will pay for the name, and she is making due with a used Sportster for now without even considering any other brand.
VBA #01806
Central IL Vulcan Riders

Last edited by racinfan101; 12-20-2011 at 09:21 PM.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:21 PM   #65

I would agree with you that there is that element of "only buying a Harley" accounting for some percentage of their sales...

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Login or Register to Remove Ads