Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 11-11-2012, 11:13 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by drof View Post
Thanks for the welcome! God forbid someone wants to change their bike around instead of following all the other sheep. Thanks for the info on the pucks and aftermarket speakers.
You nay have missed my point.
Changing a bike is what most members on here do. Most of them use their head and make their bike look or run better.
Putting loud obnoxious pipes on a bike is not only down right stupid it has no other purpose than to say hey, look at me , I am a badass biker who does not give a shit if I annoy others as long as I am happy and getting attention.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-12-2012, 01:22 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
Changing a bike is what most members on here do. Most of them use their head and make their bike look or run better.
Putting loud obnoxious pipes on a bike is not only down right stupid it has no other purpose than to say hey, look at me , I am a badass biker who does not give a shit if I annoy others as long as I am happy and getting attention.
I guess I'm one of the stupid ones then. Nice. There just happen to be several reasons I've changed the exhaust on my bike. I'd be interested in hearing about where you base those facts on. I have installed a Vance & Hines 2 into 1 Pro Pipe on my bike. There are several reasons behind my choice. I have an all aluminum intake with an open air intake. In order to take full advantage of the increased air inflow I needed to expel exhaust just as fast. Maybe a 2 into 1 also helps each individual cylinder out by scavenging? Hmmmm..... helps to eliminate reversion? Now I do have respect for others as well. My closest neighbor can't even hear when I start my bike. And yes....I have asked them. Seat of the pants driving as well as dyno runs confirm I have obtained an increase in both low end torque and horsepower. You know nothing about me. To assume I just want to be "a badass biker" or "seek attention" from anyone? You are 100% wrong. And much to the dismay of some I had to use my head to the the research for what would work best for my application. I can respect your opinion and that of the people around me. That's why I ride respectful and pay attention to driving in a way that minimizes noise when I need to. To just come right out and call someone stupid or suggest its attention seeks, to me, seems to go against what a forum just like this about. I absolutley love bikes and pretty much anything that goes with them. I also thoroughly enjoy changing my bike both for looks and performance. And I also happen to enjoy the new increased sound my bike produces. Seems like maybe others here do to.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:15 AM   #63

Quote:

Actually being downright stupid is people who post calling others names without reason, I have the 2-1 pro pipes to not only reduce weight but also to give increased air flow together with my hypercharger and my PCV, I am anything but a "badass" biker as you so eloquently put it, and I have been riding for 44 years and for most of those years I have been experimenting with different pipe/airbox combos. I also do not accelerate hard in my neighbourhood or any other built up area because I respect that those who live there do not want the hear the "loud pipes".

You really should refrain from painting all those riders who like to alter their rides, with the same brush, it only makes you look a little obnoxious.
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 11-12-2012, 08:59 AM   #64

Quote:
I guess I'm one of the stupid ones then. Nice. There just happen to be several reasons I've changed the exhaust on my bike. I'd be interested in hearing about where you base those facts on. I have installed a Vance & Hines 2 into 1 Pro Pipe on my bike. There are several reasons behind my choice. I have an all aluminum intake with an open air intake. In order to take full advantage of the increased air inflow I needed to expel exhaust just as fast. Maybe a 2 into 1 also helps each individual cylinder out by scavenging? Hmmmm..... helps to eliminate reversion? Now I do have respect for others as well. My closest neighbor can't even hear when I start my bike. And yes....I have asked them. Seat of the pants driving as well as dyno runs confirm I have obtained an increase in both low end torque and horsepower. You know nothing about me. To assume I just want to be "a badass biker" or "seek attention" from anyone? You are 100% wrong. And much to the dismay of some I had to use my head to the the research for what would work best for my application. I can respect your opinion and that of the people around me. That's why I ride respectful and pay attention to driving in a way that minimizes noise when I need to. To just come right out and call someone stupid or suggest its attention seeks, to me, seems to go against what a forum just like this about. I absolutley love bikes and pretty much anything that goes with them. I also thoroughly enjoy changing my bike both for looks and performance. And I also happen to enjoy the new increased sound my bike produces. Seems like maybe others here do to.
OK, first I did not call YOU stupid and if that is what you thought I apologize.
From your answer above I get the impression your pipes are not OBNOXIOUSLY LOUD as you stated in your first post on this thread.
I'm not opposed to pipes like V&H, Cobra, Rosd House etc. With the baffeles in and a sensible rider they are not OBNOXIOUS.'
I am against , again, OBNOXIOUS loudness.
My wife rides her own bike and she likes louder pipes than I do but a guy on a HD passed us yesterday and he had a 2 into 1 megaphone type exhaust on his bike. It not only sounded like crap but it was so loud we could not talk on the intercoms till he was well ahead of us.
For the rest of you guys who say loud pipes save lives, I did not hear his pipes coming. I heard then when he got side of me.
Again drof, you may have mislead me with your "I like obnoxiously loud pipes" comment.
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 11-12-2012, 09:05 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey View Post
Actually being downright stupid is people who post calling others names without reason, I have the 2-1 pro pipes to not only reduce weight but also to give increased air flow together with my hypercharger and my PCV, I am anything but a "badass" biker as you so eloquently put it, and I have been riding for 44 years and for most of those years I have been experimenting with different pipe/airbox combos. I also do not accelerate hard in my neighbourhood or any other built up area because I respect that those who live there do not want the hear the "loud pipes".

You really should refrain from painting all those riders who like to alter their rides, with the same brush, it only makes you look a little obnoxious.
smokey, see my above post to drof.
Your definition of obnoxious and mine may be different.
But I stand by my opinion if the rider has pipes that are so freakin loud they hurt others ears or rattle the windows when they go by.
The key word here is OBNOXIOUS
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-12-2012, 09:37 AM   #66

Tim you bring up a point when you say you did not hear the bikes loud exhaust till he was beside you. I have always smiled when people use the expression load pipes save lives. I often ride multi lane highways and quiet pipes have probably saved my butt more than once. I can hear the cars coming up on me in the passing lane. Even when they are sitting in my blind spot, it is a second reminder not to pull out because I can hear the sound of their tires.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 11-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #67

Quote:
smokey, see my above post to drof.
Your definition of obnoxious and mine may be different.
But I stand by my opinion if the rider has pipes that are so freakin loud they hurt others ears or rattle the windows when they go by.
The key word here is OBNOXIOUS
The pro pipes are actually not that bad with the quiet baffle, which is what we both have. Don't assume that all after market pipes are loud and obnoxious, I think those that ride with open pipes, no baffles, are the only ones that do it to annoy people. I prefer a quiet bike, but I also appreciate the gains in performance I get with my set up.
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 11-12-2012, 10:06 AM   #68

Fair enough Top. I appreciate the explanation. I can definatley MAKE my pipes obnoxious to others if I so choosed to. But I refrain 99% of the time. I don't exactly buy into the loud pipes save lives croud to often. Most times there are better ways to deal with cagers. At times, my pipes have save my butt though. I've had cars coming over on me when I was boxed in and and hitting the brakes that hard when someone is pushing me along wouldn't have helped. Just pulled the clutch and let the pipes inform the highly observant driver he was about to maim a motorcyclist has in fact save me before. I agree with you Top that the types of pipes you describe probably don't do much for performance. Most likely even hinder it as some back pressure is needed. But on the same note its not my place to tell that owner what he should or should not do to their bike. If we travel down those lines eventually we will get to something I like on my bike or something you like to change up. We'll all never see eye to eye on some things and that's part of what makes bikes so fun to me. I like seeing what others to do to their rides. Might not be for me but still cool to see it. Otherwise every bike out there would be the same. It's all good brothers!

Old 11-12-2012, 10:22 AM   #69

Quote:
Fair enough Top. I appreciate the explanation. I can definatley MAKE my pipes obnoxious to others if I so choosed to. But I refrain 99% of the time. I don't exactly buy into the loud pipes save lives croud to often. Most times there are better ways to deal with cagers. At times, my pipes have save my butt though. I've had cars coming over on me when I was boxed in and and hitting the brakes that hard when someone is pushing me along wouldn't have helped. Just pulled the clutch and let the pipes inform the highly observant driver he was about to maim a motorcyclist has in fact save me before. I agree with you Top that the types of pipes you describe probably don't do much for performance. Most likely even hinder it as some back pressure is needed. But on the same note its not my place to tell that owner what he should or should not do to their bike. If we travel down those lines eventually we will get to something I like on my bike or something you like to change up. We'll all never see eye to eye on some things and that's part of what makes bikes so fun to me. I like seeing what others to do to their rides. Might not be for me but still cool to see it. Otherwise every bike out there would be the same. It's all good brothers!
exactly. By the way I am going to get my setup dynoed today, if you interested in a copy of the map, (not sure what processor you have) ping me offline, I have the PCV, hypercharger, and pro pipe
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 01-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #70

I really hate to take this thead off topic but are the infinity speakers waterproof. I have been searching around and no where does it say they are.

back to the loud pipes debate

Old 01-25-2013, 08:20 PM   #71

I am getting a little mixed up on this powepuck and what speckers they can be used with. I would like the infinaty speakers and power pucks for the front only if it will get me more sound. Or should I go with an amp and the hog tune speakers witch would be my easiest way to go. Thanksfor your info, B Cope.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:49 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC RED VAQ View Post
I am getting a little mixed up on this powepuck and what speckers they can be used with. I would like the infinaty speakers and power pucks for the front only if it will get me more sound. Or should I go with an amp and the hog tune speakers witch would be my easiest way to go. Thanksfor your info, B Cope.

Here is what I got from the original post, the stock speakers were replaced with Hog Tunes only, no improvement in sound if anything maybe not as good. Then power pucks were added(power pucks are mini amps) louder but not the quality he wanted. The final setup is Infinitys with the power pucks which seem to be the right combo. My only concern is how waterproof the infinitys are, if it helps I ordered the infinitys on Amazon, under $100 delivered to my door here in Canada. The power pucks are on B/O at Phat performance but I found them on Amazon for a good price. Hope this helps.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:55 AM   #73

Quote:
Stay away from the H/T speakers. Poor sound quality in my opinion. I have had the Infinity speakers for awhile now(since I started this thread in October) and have been in a few rains storms. So far they are still working like new.

I have read many posts where peeps are happy with the Polk speakers for some time but I don't know if they are rated as waterproof. The Infinity's are not rated w/p, but so far so good.

RACNRAY

Old 01-26-2013, 07:20 PM   #74

I have the Polk audio speakers which sound great with my new amp and they are waterproof. Even says marine rated on crutchfield's site. That was a big reason why I went with them.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:00 PM   #75

Quote:
I am getting a little mixed up on this powepuck and what speckers they can be used with. .
They can be used with any speakers as long as you have room in the speaker enclosure or a small enough magnet they can attach to. I have them on all four speakers, didn't have a lot of time to evaluate them as the white stuff and cold weather hit, but this season should give me a better idea of how they will sound. I went with the Polk marine speakers, waterproof,
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Last edited by smokey; 01-26-2013 at 10:08 PM.