Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 03-07-2014, 06:07 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by muz View Post
Just a slight difference in cultures mate. I was a little taken back ... <snip snip>
Big difference in cultures on this topic Muz... I long ago and on other forums learned to just keep clear of these discussions. What works for us down under won't work for them, and you'll only be poking a stick into opinions where you'll get poked back or stung. Fellas who I call friends in the motorcycle discussions show another side in these ones, and you'll think "Whooo, that really is a different culture!"

I'm a trained and current serving LEO even, but we don't carry like yours in Oz do. Glocks & Bushmasters are nearby, but not routinely carried on the person.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-07-2014, 06:19 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg View Post
Big difference in cultures on this topic Muz... I long ago and on other forums learned to just keep clear of these discussions. What works for us down under won't work for them, and you'll only be poking a stick into opinions where you'll get poked back or stung. Fellas who I call friends in the motorcycle discussions show another side in these ones, and you'll think "Whooo, that really is a different culture!"

I'm a trained and current serving LEO even, but we don't carry like yours in Oz do. Glocks & Bushmasters are nearby, but not routinely carried on the person.
Yep , just like pissing into the wind. But I never back away from a good stoush.

Last edited by muz; 03-07-2014 at 06:23 PM.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:47 PM   #78

Quote:
TC there has got to be more to life than packing a gun and wondering where the next round is coming from. Give me a fist any day.
I don't walk around paranoid Muz, I walk around as prepared as I can be.
I don't expect to be shot in my daily activitys, it is not as you assume the wild west here. But we do have some evil and some mentally ill, etc individuals here as I am sure you do in your country.
In 2011 you had a population of 21,766,711 where in the US we had a population of 313,232,044. So the odds are we are going to have more bad guys than you.
But if you compare your crime rate to ours you may be surprised at the results.
For instance;
You rank higher in
assault victims
burglaries
Rape victims
Here is a little copy and paste for you to consider.

The real problem with comparing the two nations is simple enough. In the United States, the various local police departments report their crime numbers to the FBI, which tabulates the numbers and calculates rates and publishes the FBI’s Uniform Crime Report. If a local department wishes to report their crime totals to the local media, they are free to do so, and many departments do exactly that. In addition, a number of newspapers keep running totals of crimes in their city, as the Chicago Tribune’s Redeye keeps a running count of Chicago’s homicides.

But in Oz, Canberra controls all crime data released other than local “robbers struck the Bank of Western Australia” press reports. The Melbourne PD cannot tell the media how many burglaries there were in 2011, that has to come from Canberra. Perth cannot release a running total of murders, that has to come from Canberra. And so on and on. Once a year, Canberra releases the crime stats for the second previous year – which in no way agree with individual counts of media reports of serious crimes in the various Australian cities.

Violent crime rates are calculated by dividing the numbers for a given crime by the population in 100,000′s. Australia’s population is estimated to have been 20,500,000 in 2010, the last year listed on the chart. Therefore, dividing the 171,083 assaults by 205 100,000′s obtains an assault rate of 834.5.
Now, for those violent crime rates we can directly compare;

Assault:………………… Australia 834.5……….U.S 404.5 (386.3 in 2011)

Sexual Assault………………Australia 86.6………..U.S. 27.7 (26.8 in 2011)

Robbery ………………….Australia 71.1………..US 119.3 (113.7 in 2011)

Kidnapping………………..Australia 2.9…………US So rare records are not kept.

Murder…..Melbourne, we have a problem. Australia’s official rate is 1.3 less than one third of the U.S. 4.2.
The total of individual violent deaths reported by major newspapers in each Australian State other than the Northern Territory is above 150. Given that, Australia’s murder rate is suspiciously low.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 03-07-2014, 10:33 PM   #79

Don worry bout me....I love a bit of intellectual intercourse...(and thats the only kind i'm gittin right now..so I'm staying -entertained !)

All said...all opinions barfed up, I can just as -seriously argue the subject from "muz down under's" point of view..but my personal conclusion from 55 years of "soldier of fortuning, around the globe..rubbing shoulders with a very wide variety of "characters", from serial killers to top floating politicians, ..and those so wealthy they own the the top international politicians !..Is As I'v Stated ! just based on common sense-when existing among the human race...and on occasion in the face of "nature" ...average people must have the "option" to be armed..with guns !

GOD CREATED BIG MEN AND SMALL MEN...BOLD MEN AND MEEK MEN..and the Little Lady's, And the childeren we may need to protect.

Then Samuel Colt, and Smith And Wesson..MADE THEM ALL EQUAL !

Old 03-07-2014, 11:50 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
I don't walk around paranoid Muz, I walk around as prepared as I can be.
I don't expect to be shot in my daily activitys, it is not as you assume the wild west here. But we do have some evil and some mentally ill, etc individuals here as I am sure you do in your country.
In 2011 you had a population of 21,766,711 where in the US we had a population of 313,232,044. So the odds are we are going to have more bad guys than you.
But if you compare your crime rate to ours you may be surprised at the results.
For instance;
You rank higher in
assault victims
burglaries
Rape victims
Here is a little copy and paste for you to consider.

The real problem with comparing the two nations is simple enough. In the United States, the various local police departments report their crime numbers to the FBI, which tabulates the numbers and calculates rates and publishes the FBI’s Uniform Crime Report. If a local department wishes to report their crime totals to the local media, they are free to do so, and many departments do exactly that. In addition, a number of newspapers keep running totals of crimes in their city, as the Chicago Tribune’s Redeye keeps a running count of Chicago’s homicides.

But in Oz, Canberra controls all crime data released other than local “robbers struck the Bank of Western Australia” press reports. The Melbourne PD cannot tell the media how many burglaries there were in 2011, that has to come from Canberra. Perth cannot release a running total of murders, that has to come from Canberra. And so on and on. Once a year, Canberra releases the crime stats for the second previous year – which in no way agree with individual counts of media reports of serious crimes in the various Australian cities.

Violent crime rates are calculated by dividing the numbers for a given crime by the population in 100,000′s. Australia’s population is estimated to have been 20,500,000 in 2010, the last year listed on the chart. Therefore, dividing the 171,083 assaults by 205 100,000′s obtains an assault rate of 834.5.
Now, for those violent crime rates we can directly compare;

Assault:………………… Australia 834.5……….U.S 404.5 (386.3 in 2011)

Sexual Assault………………Australia 86.6………..U.S. 27.7 (26.8 in 2011)

Robbery ………………….Australia 71.1………..US 119.3 (113.7 in 2011)

Kidnapping………………..Australia 2.9…………US So rare records are not kept.

Murder…..Melbourne, we have a problem. Australia’s official rate is 1.3 less than one third of the U.S. 4.2.
The total of individual violent deaths reported by major newspapers in each Australian State other than the Northern Territory is above 150. Given that, Australia’s murder rate is suspiciously low.
Yes Tim we see figures like that all the time bandied around by various groups but there is always one very important factor missing if your going to compare our two countries. Its what we are debateing..................the gun factor.
If we had guns what would that do to our assault figures...........and if you didn't have guns what would that do to your murder figures...............so you see you just can't make an accurate comparison between us. So those figures are just that,.......figures.
I think to make comparisons you have to live in those counties and I have to admit I have never lived in the USA, all know is what I see hear and read. I have never felt the need to pack a gun like you guys so as far as I am concerned things are pretty safe here. And that's all that matters really.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by muz; 03-07-2014 at 11:54 PM.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:55 PM   #81

Quote:
. I have never felt the need to pack a gun like you guys so as far as I am concerned things are pretty safe here.
Yes but if you did feel the need to carry, could you?

Don't get the wrong idea Muz, everybody everybody here in the states is not carrying a gun in their waistband
You just happen to be on a site where the ones who do are vocal about their 2nd Amendment right and willing to defend that right to anyone who would like to take it away.
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Last edited by Top Cat; 03-08-2014 at 12:11 AM.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:58 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Sam View Post
Don worry bout me....I love a bit of intellectual intercourse...(and thats the only kind i'm gittin right now..so I'm staying -entertained !)

All said...all opinions barfed up, I can just as -seriously argue the subject from "muz down under's" point of view..but my personal conclusion from 55 years of "soldier of fortuning, around the globe..rubbing shoulders with a very wide variety of "characters", from serial killers to top floating politicians, ..and those so wealthy they own the the top international politicians !..Is As I'v Stated ! just based on common sense-when existing among the human race...and on occasion in the face of "nature" ...average people must have the "option" to be armed..with guns !

GOD CREATED BIG MEN AND SMALL MEN...BOLD MEN AND MEEK MEN..and the Little Lady's, And the childeren we may need to protect.

Then Samuel Colt, and Smith And Wesson..MADE THEM ALL EQUAL !
I love intercourse too

oh, sorry I missed the intellectual part

Last edited by muz; 03-08-2014 at 12:11 AM.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:01 AM   #83

Quote:
What do you mean??

Old 03-08-2014, 12:14 AM   #84

Quote:
What do you mean??
I mean if you were say, getting threatening emails or your wife was being followed by a stalker and you felt like you would be safer if you had a pistol in your pocket, could you legally buy and carry one?
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 03-08-2014, 12:21 AM   #85

Quote:
I mean if you were say, getting threatening emails or your wife was being followed by a stalker and you felt like you would be safer if you had a pistol in your pocket, could you legally buy and carry one?
No way! The stalker probably won't have a gun so why should I need one. If I did and shot him I would probably end up in prison anyways. But that is not to say I would not protect my loved ones............I would till my last breath.
This would be a job for the police.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:33 AM   #86

Quote:
No way! The stalker probably won't have a gun so why should I need one. If I did and shot him I would probably end up in prison anyways. But that is not to say I would not protect my loved ones............I would till my last breath.
This would be a job for the police.
The stalker may have a big ass knife like Crocodile Dundee had
You going to fight him with your bare hands
As far as the police go, we have a saying here, When seconds count the police are only minutes away.
Just curious, what time is it there?
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 03-08-2014, 12:34 AM   #87

Quote:

Don't get the wrong idea Muz, everybody everybody here in the states is not carrying a gun in their waistband
You just happen to be on a site where the ones who do are vocal about their 2nd Amendment right and willing to defend that right to anyone who would like to take it away.
Yes you see that's what I felt earlier when I asked are you protecting life or right. I understand about defending your rights but in this case (Guns) I personally believe the outcome has made things worse for you.

Last edited by muz; 03-08-2014 at 12:43 AM.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:36 AM   #88

Quote:
The stalker may have a big ass knife like Crocodile Dundee had
You going to fight him with your bare hands
As far as the police go, we have a saying here, When seconds count the police are only minutes away.
Just curious, what time is it there?
Like Crocodile Dundee....... I got an even bigger one
1.30pm. What about there?

Old 03-08-2014, 12:42 AM   #89

Quote:
like crocodile dundee....... I got an even bigger one
1.30pm. What about there?
12:42 am
VBA #9