Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Free Classifieds > Parts & Accessories

Old 04-20-2011, 07:29 PM   #106
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Air Shock Balance Kits - for sale

Unfortunately I just checked my air pressure and had none after putting 36lbs 2 weeks ago after installing this. :-[

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-20-2011, 08:08 PM   #107
Mega-Contributor

Make sure the fittings are good and tight.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 04-20-2011, 08:27 PM   #108
Sr. Contributor

they were..... the crossover tubing is a snap in fit. I can't see how it wouldn't leak...

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

Member # 0005

Old 04-20-2011, 08:28 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by drno
I had a few problems. Couldnt get air to seal. Would leak down over about 10 min. I used white teflon tape first time, then tried yellow teflon tape ment for hi pressure second time with same result. So I tightend them up just a bit on the Schrader valve fitting, didnt help, took em off and both the Schrader valve fitting are now buggerd. The top hole where the valve threads in has been pushed inwards and I cant get my Schrader valves back in. It looks like the air fitting bottoms out on the brass valve's top threaded area and if you tighten a bit, it collapses the brass in on itself. Be very carefull. These things are 28.00 each..... and on B/O.
Wow, drno, that sound awful tight to distort the metal. Are the OE fittings for the 1700, the same as the 1500/1600?

If so this place has the fittings too, and nowhere near $28. (actually only $6)
http://www.resuspension.com/cart/pro...roductid=19134

I'm interested to know if it's the same fitting. Next time there's a leak (especially that fast of one), air it up and get some slightly soapy water on the fittings. It's always possible it wasn't the threads leaking and I would just owe you a new part. - It's happened before. ;)
Sorry about how things have gone so far. Let me know how it's going when you get the new shock valves.
-Jay

formerly 2005 Nomad - black/silver

Old 04-20-2011, 08:51 PM   #110
Sr. Contributor

Well I took the balancing kit off and put my valve stems back in and aired up to 25lbs. going on a trip in the morning and I didn't want it to leak.

After bringing the components into my house I took them apart. Where the hose goes into each valve stem component (it's a press fit) has teeth behind the green plastic cap and it grips the hose like a bunch of small fish hooks. good design to hold pieces together but I can't see for the life of me why air couldn't leak. Especially @ 30-40 lbs of pressure.

Not picking on you Jay but I put them together correctly and used the tape correctly.

Member # 0005

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-20-2011, 09:15 PM   #111

I hope I haven't implied that anyone has installed the kit incorrectly.

In the few instances I've been notified of a leak, it has never been where the hose presses in the fitting. It has been the swivel portion of the banjo fitting itself. Air was leaking around the plastic "sleeve". But in those few cases, it's been a simple swap of parts to get things working.

Do you have an ice maker on your fridge? That's often how the water hose connects; just pushed in. Similar fittings are rated for permanent plumming uses inside the walls of homes. ;) I wouldn't say it's a poor technology or design.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:42 PM   #112
Sr. Contributor

I'm not disagreeing Jay, Mine just leaked.. probably around the plastic sleeve like you pointed out but there's nothing I can do about it if it does.

Member # 0005

Old 04-20-2011, 11:20 PM   #113

My fault as im the one who put em on, I just cinched them up a bit, what what i thought was the tape adding resistance to the turn, but I think it was metal contact inside and the brass conforming to the fitting. Live n learn..... Ill check out that link, thanks. Still the best idea yet to tie shocks together.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:26 PM   #114

We use push in connectors alot on heavy trucks with little issues. Have for years.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:49 PM   #115

I was one of the fellows who had an issue with leaking as well and Jay refunded my money with no questions asked. ( Thanks Jay ) I should point out though that you should check your pressure after a few days because even though Jay tapped the inside of the fitting to thread onto the existing fitting in the shock, they are both machine thread which won't seal. I too added pipe dope to the threads, but without the interference of pipe thread on each other the chances of leaking are very high. For those of you that haven't had a leak then good on you, but check none the less.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:20 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager
I was one of the fellows who had an issue with leaking as well and Jay refunded my money with no questions asked. ( Thanks Jay ) I should point out though that you should check your pressure after a few days because even though Jay tapped the inside of the fitting to thread onto the existing fitting in the shock, they are both machine thread which won't seal. I too added pipe dope to the threads, but without the interference of pipe thread on each other the chances of leaking are very high. For those of you that haven't had a leak then good on you, but check none the less.
There are lots of straight threads that seal against air and water, but I agree, these specific threads were not designed with that intent. Some sort of sealant is needed. I didn't design the interface
On my bike, my kit has held air longer than the OE valves did alone. (The OE leaked). The purpose of this kit is to Balance the pressure, even when a leak is present.
Uneven pressures give the suspension an odd feeling in corners and such. The Nomad shocks are rated to run as low as zero lbs of pressure.
As long as the shocks are balanced, you should have a safe ride. My goal would still be to hold air as long as possible though.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:38 PM   #117

Those quick connect push-in fittings are used widely in the mechanical industry. I have used them on airbags and airshocks on vehicles and also on my dragbike airshifter at 160 PSI and no leaks.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:04 PM   #118

I too found mine had leaked down. I added more air yesterday and will check this weekend to see how it is holding. I will check for leaks around the swivel housing. I hope I can solve this since the kit is great to have, wouldn't want to go back to filling each side.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:53 PM   #119

I had the fitting leak down around the plastic, not the threads and not the hose. Just add air to shocks put a few drops of dish soap in a spray bottle of water and saturate the fitting. Watch for air bubbles then correct whatever is leaking.

After replacing the first fitting which J replaced free of charge I have had no leaks. I am holding the same 28psi that I put in five weeks ago. I now have a gauge and it's as easy as looking down at the gauge before mounting the bike to see if I have a problem. When the temps are up I do have around 30psi but have not lost any air, when it cools down the pressure returns to 28 psi. J should charge more for this kit to cover his cost when he does replace fittings that are leaking down.

As for the push on fittings these are used everywhere. I have a new advanced composite facility that has an HVAC system costing over one million and it uses this type fitting on all connections from the small 1/4" to the large 4" tubing.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:30 PM   #120

Mine is holding now. I tighten up the fitting on the left side a little more and it is holding. Good to go.