Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-16-2016, 11:08 PM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonik View Post
The answer to my question was Kaw replaced the ECU's, they did not flash them at the dealer.
on my 010 built in 12-09 the ecm had an odd part # and a blue dot indicating the ecm was REPLACED at the dealer before sold to me
Ivan esz it would not have been done on the assembly line even though the 09 models were recalled for ecm replacement due to drivability issues and I remember reading about that and was under the impression my 010 did not need a recall

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-16-2016, 11:13 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erilflynn View Post
That said, unless they physically pulled the ECU the dealer would never know it has been "Ivanized" as I'm sure the sticker and engraving are discreetly placed. And just how often does an ECU go bad??? From what I am hearing much more likely a PCV to shit the bed than the ECU.
the engraving is not real noticeable but can be easily seen if u look
the sticker is quite large and easily seen so if u are going in for repairs and get nervous u most likely could take the decal off

Old 03-16-2016, 11:44 PM   #123

I wider if he is considering this for the 1500's and1600s or not enough interests? I've always hated the thought of another electronic device piggy backed on my ecm. But it's where I'm at, no problems so far but that is one less component to fail.

"Ride hard or stay home" Joe Robinson aka Old Dog, R.I.P

Old 03-17-2016, 10:26 AM   #124
Advanced Member

If ever there was a bike that needed this it is the 1600. Dunno how big that market is anymore though.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:09 AM   #125
Advanced Member

When I had my Vulcan 1500 Meanstreak, I simply removed the entire emissions system and plugged off the hole that goes into the throttle body from the smog system. Then I added the Baron's intake and placed block off plates in place of the old reed valves at the heads, a simple procedure. With Cobra slash down pipes, and no fuel processor, and a slightly cooler plug set, (DPR8) the bike ran like a raped ape, cooler, zero backfires, and much more power. This is how you get the 15/1600s to run. They come with pretty fat injector holes from the factory so adding a fuel processor only makes them run too rich. It took about a year of experimenting to get this right. For any of you that have these motors, doing this will improve the way your bike runs, believe me.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-17-2016, 03:24 PM   #126

Quote:
If ever there was a bike that needed this it is the 1600. Dunno how big that market is anymore though.
Respectfully disagree. With my Cobra full exhaust and good old Rotella (not sure how much diff that made) I thought my 1600 Nomad had plenty of power. My issues with my Nad had more to do with it's handling and top heavyness.

Old 03-17-2016, 03:42 PM   #127
Sr. Contributor

The problem with the 1600 is that it was a basic bike and riders were expecting more. ABS, cruise control, more power, etc. Nothing wrong with the 1600 Nomad per se, I owned one, but my expectations changed (as did a lot of other founding members here) and Kawasaki went in a different direction.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 03-17-2016, 04:06 PM   #128

Quote:
And I agree with Erilflyn... My 1500's issues were all fuel related, and easily sorted with a tuner. But the tuner never quite felt like it did enough for the 1700. The problems run a lot deeper.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 03-17-2016, 11:13 PM   #129

I just sat and read this entire thread! I first saw the posts on FB!

In no small part to Luverne stating the dealers can't tell if it's been flashed I am WAY interested!! This is on my list now!! Mine runs way too rich and has too much decel popping!

Old 03-18-2016, 11:01 AM   #130
Advanced Member

Eril I was mainly covering the topic of getting the 15s and 16's running better by mostly just disconnecting all the smog equipment and getting good breathing and exhaust going, and getting rid of the reed valves and bolting on back off plates... and it did make a bunch of difference on my 1500. When I was on the Meanstreak forum, many other owners tried this and were all very happy. The ECU and injector arrangements on those bikes are very different than on the 1700s.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:18 AM   #131
Advanced Member

So, yesterday, I was finally able to get the big Vaquero out for a full open throttle run with the IVAN ECU flash done and in the bike.
The outside temps were in the low 50s and my motor never actually reached full operating temperature maybe up to around 170 but had to go out and run it.
One of the first things I observed was that the engine runs cooler for sure, so looking forward to hotter temps as summer comes around.
I went through much less fuel on the 80 mile run than expected, even after getting ham fisted on the throttle a few times.
In fifth and sixth gear with the throttle wide open it picks up faster and darts to 100MPH quicker and cleaner. You will notice the difference in added torque when you go to do a 5th gear passing on the open highway...I easily reached an indicated 115 on the Vaquero on a straight stretch at about 3300 ft. above sea level.
Throttling is notably more responsive and crisp, and accurate. Right off idle, especially in the lower gears, you have immediate response at the first little twist of the right grip, and I have the Ray's throttle mod on mine, and it all works very well together.
Here's what I like best. In the lower gears, at lower speeds, like parking lot and up to 30 or 40 mph in 3rd or 4th gear, you get clean, even, perfect fueling and throttling, steady as your own heart beat with absolutely ZERO backfiring, popping, or excessive fuel loading. The difference is exemplary and left a huge smile on my face. No more hesitation, no more low rpm stumbles, just clean accurate perfect throttling and running. I really loved cruising speed at 60-80 mph in 5th and 6th gears, and only needed to hold the throttle open just a tad bit at those speeds. I tested the cruise control and it worked perfectly with the new settings.
All of this with no fuel processor, just plugged in back to stock and with my Thunder Tornado air and Freedom 2-1 pipe. I feel like the motor has picked up more torque, especially off idle, right off the bottom it comes on with immediacy and urgency with little throttle input. The motor totally feels like it should and is now running smoother and stronger , and should I say flawlessly? YES I SHOULD because this is an accurate statement. For anyone that is riding a Vulcan 1700, if you get this done, your problems are over and you will be happier than a pig in slop, go ride, and never look back just look ahead to years of riding nirvana. IVAN is the man. If anyone has any more questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:43 AM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlknvlcn60 View Post
So, yesterday, I was finally able to get the big Vaquero out for a full open throttle run with the IVAN ECU flash done and in the bike.
The outside temps were in the low 50s and my motor never actually reached full operating temperature maybe up to around 170 but had to go out and run it.
One of the first things I observed was that the engine runs cooler for sure, so looking forward to hotter temps as summer comes around.
I went through much less fuel on the 80 mile run than expected, even after getting ham fisted on the throttle a few times.
In fifth and sixth gear with the throttle wide open it picks up faster and darts to 100MPH quicker and cleaner. You will notice the difference in added torque when you go to do a 5th gear passing on the open highway...I easily reached an indicated 115 on the Vaquero on a straight stretch at about 3300 ft. above sea level.
Throttling is notably more responsive and crisp, and accurate. Right off idle, especially in the lower gears, you have immediate response at the first little twist of the right grip, and I have the Ray's throttle mod on mine, and it all works very well together.
Here's what I like best. In the lower gears, at lower speeds, like parking lot and up to 30 or 40 mph in 3rd or 4th gear, you get clean, even, perfect fueling and throttling, steady as your own heart beat with absolutely ZERO backfiring, popping, or excessive fuel loading. The difference is exemplary and left a huge smile on my face. No more hesitation, no more low rpm stumbles, just clean accurate perfect throttling and running. I really loved cruising speed at 60-80 mph in 5th and 6th gears, and only needed to hold the throttle open just a tad bit at those speeds. I tested the cruise control and it worked perfectly with the new settings.
All of this with no fuel processor, just plugged in back to stock and with my Thunder Tornado air and Freedom 2-1 pipe. I feel like the motor has picked up more torque, especially off idle, right off the bottom it comes on with immediacy and urgency with little throttle input. The motor totally feels like it should and is now running smoother and stronger , and should I say flawlessly? YES I SHOULD because this is an accurate statement. For anyone that is riding a Vulcan 1700, if you get this done, your problems are over and you will be happier than a pig in slop, go ride, and never look back just look ahead to years of riding nirvana. IVAN is the man. If anyone has any more questions please do not hesitate to ask.
Your making this harder for me not to resist. I was out riding the other day 2 up and the bike was popping and backfiring uncontrollably more than normal. The backfiring through the intake was more worrying. The hotter the bike got the worse it ran. Did you have any problems with backfiring and did the reflash fix it?

2012 Vaquero
1700 Nomad
(Deceased)
Cobra Tri-Ovals
Racnrays Invention (Throttle Mod)
Ivan's flash
Thunder Tornado Big Air Kit

Old 03-18-2016, 12:54 PM   #133

Another benefit of doing this is you are not restricted to just Cobra slip ons now. Now you should be able to get the V&H slip ons for older 1700 models that don't have the bunge hole for the 02 Sensor. As the 02 is turned off by Ivan this should be a non issue now unless I'm missing something.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:43 PM   #134
Advanced Member

Like I said, the flash completely eliminates all backfiring, gone, history and your bike will run much cooler too. His (Ivan) flash resets everything in the ECU and if you have an 02 sensor, don't worry just go with what he says. His re-flash is THE way to go get it done, problems solved, permanently. captj3 you will be very happy you did this, no regrets, ever.

Old 03-20-2016, 03:28 PM   #135

Sorry for the simple question but I think I took off the ECU. You all have said it by the battery in a basket. I took out the whole basket is it the one with three plugs about 1" thick. I slip it out of a rubber mount next to two more bigger plugs.