Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 06-02-2008, 10:42 PM   #1
Advanced Member

How do you change front fork oil?

OK, I've seen enough threads praising changing the front fork oil to 15w, but how do you do this? Does it require ripping the whole front end apart, or is there a nice little drain plug like for the motor oil? And what weight oil is in there stock???

Thanks,
Daryl ???

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-02-2008, 11:27 PM   #2

The stock fork oil is 10 weight, and there are no drain plugs in the forks,(that would be too simple). I removed the forks from my bike completely when I changed mine this spring, but you can try to suck it out with a pump. I don't think you can get all of the old oil out this way completely, and refilling is not as accurate .The best place to see what is involved is to go on Gadgets sight, and it explains everything in detail.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 06-03-2008, 11:11 AM   #3
Top Contributor

Hi, I have the forks off my 05. Quite a bit of stuff has to come off to get to the clamps that are under the chrome nacelle. Other than that its not too bad a job. While the forks are out check the steering head bearings, mine were almost bone dry. I added a grease fitting to the neck of the frame while I had it all apart.
(as per Gadgets website)
I bought steering head bearings but did not fit them. The outer races looked hard to get out. I tried but did not succeed. Kawasaki manual shows a special tool. No place to hit them to knock them out. Outer races looked okay so I put everything back as it was but well greased. I drained out approximately 475ml from each fork leg. Having some emulators and progressive springs (Race Tech products) installed. Should get the forks installed by Friday. Will post a review.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:31 PM   #4
Advanced Member

Thanks guys, I'll check out Gadget's site. Sounds like it's a bit too involved for me given my limited wrenching ability and aptitude! I'll check it out though...
Daryl

Old 06-04-2008, 07:50 PM   #5

Actually with the fork oil extractor (think JP Whitney has one) it's not bad at all, just don't fill your forks while the bike off the ground, if you add too much oil you'll be riding a brick.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-04-2008, 08:42 PM   #6

I still haven't changed my fork oil. Why the devil don't they put a drain screw on the Nomad forks?

Cheap bastoids. I'm about ready to just drill my fork legs and put in a screw. Can anybody think of a good reason not to do this?

Old 06-04-2008, 11:34 PM   #7

Sounds like a good idea Cadd, Were you thinking of putting the plug in the bottom of the fork (right above the axle) or in the side of the fork tube (then you wouldn't even have to remove the wheel), it would be as easy as changing the motor oil.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 06-05-2008, 01:53 PM   #8

In the rear side of the fork legs, as low as possible, so they don't show too much & drain from the lowest spot.

My KZ900 just had little screws with o-rings. I'd have to either use teflon tape or spot-face the holes for o-rings.

My plan is to drill & tap a blind hole, then clean out any shavings, then drill the smallest possible through hole, without disassembling the forks. Then just pump out the oil & whatever shavings came from the tiny hole.

The problem is to decide just where to drill the hole so it winds up at the lowest part of the reservoir. Impossible to tell from the outside. I'd have to pull the windshield & handlebar, uncap one leg & use a wire dipstick to get a measurement.

Old 06-05-2008, 06:01 PM   #9
Top Contributor

Not sure you would get a wire dipstick all the way to the bottom.

I think I would only add a drain plug if I had the forks off the bike (and apart) and had the lower leg casting by itself. It is dumb not to have a drain plug from the factory on these things.

Old 06-05-2008, 06:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddmannq
In the rear side of the fork legs, as low as possible, so they don't show too much & drain from the lowest spot.

My KZ900 just had little screws with o-rings. I'd have to either use teflon tape or spot-face the holes for o-rings.

My plan is to drill & tap a blind hole, then clean out any shavings, then drill the smallest possible through hole, without disassembling the forks. Then just pump out the oil & whatever shavings came from the tiny hole.

The problem is to decide just where to drill the hole so it winds up at the lowest part of the reservoir. Impossible to tell from the outside. I'd have to pull the windshield & handlebar, uncap one leg & use a wire dipstick to get a measurement.
Without removing the forks it will be difficult to predict the lowest point of the fork tube to drill.
Actually if Redjay has his forks apart perhaps he could measure his forks and give you the location.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 06-05-2008, 08:04 PM   #11

His is a 1600. different forks completely.