Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 01-24-2008, 02:28 AM   #1

Ride Suggestion

My lovely wife has arranged a trip to the USA for us in early March. Flying to Vegas where she has rented a Harley for a week. The bike is to be returned in LA where we fly back home. So guys, given a start point of Vegas, a week on a bike, ending in LA, what would your ideal ride be? Our last visit was with a rental car from LA to Vegas, on to the Grand Canyon, Death Valley, Yosemite, San Francisco and Hawaii. I know there are some great places to see North, but I would rather keep to the warmer areas while eventually ending up in LA. Thanks in advance.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-24-2008, 05:13 AM   #2

Ride Suggestion

Blowndodge is planning a ride form L.A. to Hawaii.... I'm a little hesitant due to my Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:52 AM   #3
Top Contributor

Ride Suggestion

don't forget to add your pontoons first. :-)

Old 01-24-2008, 11:40 AM   #4

Ride Suggestion

There are two great riding areas just north of Vegas. Red Rock Park and Valley of the Fire. Then in Utah see Zions working your way toward Moab. Utah is a fantastic state to ride in. March is a perfect time for southern Utah.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:12 PM   #5
Advanced Member

Send a message via MSN to donoller
Ride Suggestion

any were out west is good 4 corners area mesa verda national park zion, arches canyon lands ,yellowstone.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-24-2008, 01:53 PM   #6

Ride Suggestion

Yellowstone in March? A bit chilly still..... Stay south...

Old 01-24-2008, 09:04 PM   #7

Ride Suggestion

If the weather is nice I would do part of Route 66 in Arizona. Start in Kingman and work your way south to Lake Havasu. Try and go east in Arizona and do Sedona, Jerome, and Oak Creek Canyon. If it is too cold that far north, go farther south and visit Saguaro National Park, Tuscon, and some of the old missions and churches in the Tuscon area. Kartchner Caverns, south and east of Tucson, is very nice. Or go west and visit Death Valley and some of the other national parks in southern California. That will keep you closer to L.A. and it will be warmer. Have a nice trip.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:29 PM   #8
Advanced Member

Ride Suggestion

phot,
I would do Southern Utah (Brice Canyon), Colorado (I-70 from Grand Junction east to Vail and come down thru the Sierra Nevada Mountains (Tahoe, Yosemite National Park), over to the coast and south on highway 1 and 101 from south of San Francisco down to L.A.

That'll be a full week of riding, but scenery and majesty you won't soon forget. take plenty of film or mb chips for your digital camera.

DS
PS- PM sent

Quote:
My lovely wife has arranged a trip to the USA for us in early March. Flying to Vegas where she has rented a Harley for a week. The bike is to be returned in LA where we fly back home. So guys, given a start point of Vegas, a week on a bike, ending in LA, what would your ideal ride be? Our last visit was with a rental car from LA to Vegas, on to the Grand Canyon, Death Valley, Yosemite, San Francisco and Hawaii. I know there are some great places to see North, but I would rather keep to the warmer areas while eventually ending up in LA. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:45 PM   #9
Advanced Member

Ride Suggestion

Just sent you a PM. After seeing that the trip is in March, you may want to check the weather in Utah and Colorado. Not unusual for there to still be tons of snow and very cold temps in those states at that time of year. have a couple of tours planned just in case... maybe one that includes Arizona, Route 66 and the town of Tombstone!

DS

Old 01-24-2008, 10:25 PM   #10
Mega-Contributor

Ride Suggestion

Quote:
Just sent you a PM. After seeing that the trip is in March, you may want to check the weather in Utah and Colorado. Not unusual for there to still be tons of snow and very cold temps in those states at that time of year. have a couple of tours planned just in case... maybe one that includes Arizona, Route 66 and the town of Tombstone!

DS
Excellent point, Daryl. I've seen it snow on Memorial Day in Utah and late June in Colorado.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 01-25-2008, 03:11 AM   #11

Ride Suggestion

Thanks for the input guys. Much as I would like to go North, I have been given a number of warnings about the temp and weather. Want to keep the wife warm so really think I should be heading South as some have suggested, looks like Arizona has quite a lot to offer. Michiganmike had a few nice sounding ideas for Arizona, any other Arizona fans have something to add?

Old 01-25-2008, 03:15 AM   #12

Send a message via MSN to ianicky
Ride Suggestion

Hey phot wish i was coming with you, sounds great, you must post your trip details when you return to Blighty :)

Old 01-25-2008, 03:54 AM   #13

Ride Suggestion

Quote:
Hey phot wish i was coming with you, sounds great, you must post your trip details when you return to Blighty :)
I'll do that, we dont get to spend much time on our own as we have a couple of sons. But as they are pretty much grown up now, we have more time to ourselves. Just got back from three weeks in Borneo. Did the rain forests, visited the Orang utang sanctuary, scuba dived one of the worlds best sites, white water rafting, great!

Old 01-25-2008, 07:14 AM   #14

Send a message via MSN to ianicky
Ride Suggestion

Quote:
[quote:ah3k7x6a]Hey phot wish i was coming with you, sounds great, you must post your trip details when you return to Blighty :)
I'll do that, we dont get to spend much time on our own as we have a couple of sons. But as they are pretty much grown up now, we have more time to ourselves. Just got back from three weeks in Borneo. Did the rain forests, visited the Orang utang sanctuary, scuba dived one of the worlds best sites, white water rafting, great! [/quote:ah3k7x6a]

Yeh we are pretty much the same here, kids grown up, one in the Army based in Germany, still got daughter at home but she's 18. Its time to get my life back hence why ive bought the Nomad, we are of to the Maldives in April plan to do some Scuba diving out there cant wait.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:51 AM   #15
Top Contributor

Ride Suggestion

better put a snorkel on the bike
74,010miles
VBA #299
Her's 10 900LT 36,700

09 Bath NY.
10 Lake George NY.
11 National Maggie Valley NC.
12 Pa Wilds (Wellsboro) Pa.
14 Lincoln NH.